Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if the JDM headlights for the rsx is illegal?? i was discussing buying them with a group of my friends and they brought up a good point about the stock headlights not being black for a reason. They asked me if having black housing was illegal? and i couldnt answer. so if anyone knows please reply, thanks

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
i dont think having a black housing is illegal, but here in Toronto, I believe having the JDM's are illegal just because the lights are aimed towards oncoming traffic and not away from them, since Japan is RHD. There are numerous cars I can think of that come stock with blacked out housings.

CLS and the new EL are two examples.

·
Registered
3,237 Posts
To the best of my knowledge, even with reaiming, they still are slightly aimed to the left. However, not as badly as they did when they were aimed to Japanese Spec.

I could be wrong, but I've heard this from almost anyone I have asked, since I have purchased a set of JDM Headlights myself (not installed yet).

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I heard of people just opening their head lights and painting them black. To open them u got to stick them in the oven or something. What u guys think about this??

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Im doing mine right now, its really simple and safe. If you follow the DIY you can't mess up.

·
the overrated fig shot
3,237 Posts
crazyshat230 said:
Does anyone know if the JDM headlights for the rsx is illegal?? i was discussing buying them with a group of my friends and they brought up a good point about the stock headlights not being black for a reason. They asked me if having black housing was illegal? and i couldnt answer. so if anyone knows please reply, thanks
it might be illegal if the headlights don't have orange reflectors (like JDM ek headlights) or you might get pulled over for blinding incoming traffics because of its beam patterns. But like someone said you can adjust them to be less distractive, they will point to the left more regardless on how you adjust them. And if you think DIY black housing lights look as good as JDM's then you should be killed. The JDM ones are actually bronze depends on the lighting conditions.

·
700p LTR TWS .308
19,493 Posts
did you know the Impala's used by police (especially NYPD) have blacked out headlight housings stock?

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
And yes, you are correct that JDM headlights do have a bronze tint to them. But IMO the flat black looks ideal. I have a NBP car and the flat black will look better than the JDM. And it isn't illegal for the headlights not to have a reflector on them. A lot of cars don't have side reflectors on the headlights.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts