Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JDM cams

Tags
cams jdm
837 views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  BlackNite 
#1 ·
I have a base auto rsx. Will putting in jdm type R cams give me any performance gains? Would I need anything else if I was putting cams in?

Thanks.

PS. Please no trashing about the auto.

#3 ·
This is not possible. It has been gone over before. The head castings are different between the A/A2 and A3 heads.

#4 ·
What if you swapped the base head with the type s head, and put in type r cams. What kind of performance increase could I expect to see from stock base head to the type S head with R cams?

Sorry if this is a repeated questions. It's hard to find base auto motor stuff. In the base auto forum, they usually only talk about exhausts and intakes. And I know it's for a simple reason.....cause it's just a base auto. But I like to be different. I don't want to have the same as everyone else does.

Thanks for the info.

#6 ·
MrBiggs98_ said:
What if you swapped the base head with the type s head, and put in type r cams. What kind of performance increase could I expect to see from stock base head to the type S head with R cams?

Sorry if this is a repeated questions. It's hard to find base auto motor stuff. In the base auto forum, they usually only talk about exhausts and intakes. And I know it's for a simple reason.....cause it's just a base auto. But I like to be different. I don't want to have the same as everyone else does.

Thanks for the info.
You would see some nice gains, but you could not do that unless you ordered the K-Pro

#8 ·
MrBiggs98_ said:
How well would the TypeR engine hook up to an auto tranny? Or would it hook up at all? As of right now, I don't know anyone else with a TypeR engine hooked up to a auto tranny.
I am sorry man, but why in the HELL would you do that? Chances are, you are not going to find an R engine without the tranny, so why would you not just put in the tranny and find the correct pedal assembly, shift linkage, etc.?

#10 ·
MrBiggs98_ said:
Too be different. Do you know anyone else with a typeR engine and auto tranny?
Not on our cars, and for a reason. Why buy an engine with more power just to lose it through a torque converter.

Sounds like fun, huh? It would be nice to have a Type R engine in your base and still get beat by a Type S :rolleyes:

#13 ·
MrBiggs98_ said:
It's just a thought man. I don't race my car anyways, otherwise I would have went for the manual. My gf can't drive stick, and she sometimes drives my car (like when I've had too many to drink) :)
My wife can't drive stick either. So when we go out, we take the IS 300 :thumbsup:

#14 ·
hmm, you don't race... then why would you bother increasing the "go" performance. I would say just go for the standard mods (intake, exhaust, ecu maybe) and external mods, engine dress up, all that. :)

#15 ·
The auto gearing will kill the performance of the K20A BTW. Not to mention the auto ECU is probably not going to let that tranny spin to the stock 8400 RPM limit of the K20A motor. Just a few more thoughts into your swap idea. If you do it though, you'd be the first ever documented ;)

#17 ·
Basically I would just like to have some more "get up and go" I like acceleration. I couldn't give a rats ass if my car can go over 150 km/h. I don't need to get pulled over for going that fast. Just wanted some extra jump. I may just stay with I/H/E, but anything I can do that will give me some extra jump, I'll look into. For example I'm looking at getting hondata.

When it all comes down to it though, I'd rather have a nice looking car then a real fast one. I'm gathering different idea's.

Thanks

#19 ·
I'm 99.999% sure that the K20A won't work with a 5 speed auto. If it would, you'd probably be spending a lot of cash on it...

If would be much easier and cheaper to swap the K20A and its tranny.

#20 ·
BigDawg said:
My wife can't drive stick either. So when we go out, we take the IS 300 :thumbsup:
Dammit, your only a few months old than me and the wifey has an IS300? How old is your wife? grrrr... My soon to be wife has a fuckin Saturn SC2. :( I want to blow that car up sooo much...

#21 ·
You want more get up and go... fix your tranny. There are performance parts available for the auto (www.levelten.com). They can make it better for ya. If I were you (and I was in a similar situation before I crashed my car), I would do this:

1. Get a CAI + IMG
2. Get a Type-S Race header (i'd go Toda with the 25mm swaybar)
3. Get a Type-S catback exhaust (a quiet one since Toda will make your car hella loud)
4. Wait for the K-pro to come out for the base auto and dyno tune the above mods.
5. Finish it all up with the levelten tranny work which will help put HP to the ground, get rid of the awful shifting delay and a tranny cooler so you can hold the brake in and the accel pedal at the same time longer to launch properly.

After that is all done.. wait a while for some aftermarket cams to be released ( I believe Skunk2 is working on Cams for the K20A3) and add them to your car and tune more with the Kpro.

But since no one ever listens to my advice with the base auto, have fun trying to turn it into a Type-R.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.