Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, i've done a search and cannot determine a conclusive answer. do the non-HID JDM headlight housings affect the headlight beam pattern when installed on USDM cars? i know that they come from a right-hand-drive car, and i know that the JDM HID's are aimed accordingly - but do the non-HID housings have the same effect on our H1 bulbs?

i have an extra set of OEM headlights that i was planning to do the DIY blackout routine on whenever i get the time to tackle it, but if i can get the real JDM headlights without screwing up my beam pattern, then i'd rather sell the extra OEM's and buy the JDM's. however, if the headlights' predisposition toward the right-hand side of the road suddenly mirror itself and aims toward the oncoming traffic, then i might as well pass on the JDM's and go back to plan A - the DIY method.

i know a lot of you folks have the real JDM housings - so what has your experience been?

thanks! :wavey:

·
28,748 Posts
They are aimed incorrect regardless of HID or not.
That is because the light beam is aimed for japan and left side driving.
You can fix this tho.
Just get a helms manual or find one of the tutorials here.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
so is it simply an *aiming* issue, or are the housings physically designed to point to one side or the other? i was under the impression that you could only adjust the beam pattern up or down (i do have the helms manual but haven't looked at that particular section) and not side to side (to compensate for RHD vs. LHD).

anybody else? there are hundreds of you people out there w/ the JDM headlights....can somebody please offer some input? pretty please? :confused: :dontknow:

thanks! :wavey:

·
Registered
707 Posts
I've got the non-HID JDM headlights with XenonDepot HIDs. If you look at the beam pattern of USDM lights they're angled to the right like _/ _/ whereas the JDM lights are angled the opposite direction like \_ \_ since they drive on the opposite side of the street. There's no adjustment you can make to fix this. The only thing you can do is aim the lights down so they don't bother people as much.

After I installed my HIDs I could see a much more distinguished beam pattern. I could see the exact beam late at night with no cars around and I could see it was shining directly into oncoming traffic. I was often flashed until I aimed my headlights lower. Visibility isn't as great as it could be, but it definitely works...plus I don't get flashed anymore.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
slizzap said:
I've got the non-HID JDM headlights with XenonDepot HIDs. If you look at the beam pattern of USDM lights they're angled to the right like _/ _/ whereas the JDM lights are angled the opposite direction like \_ \_ since they drive on the opposite side of the street. There's no adjustment you can make to fix this.
dang. i was afraid of that....i was just hoping it wasn't the case. :( thanks for the input, though....looks like i may stick w/ the DIY method after all!

crap. thanks again for the answer, though!

·
Registered
802 Posts
I'm just gonna wait till Acura finally releases the RSX with USDM black housings and buy them. :spin:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.