Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting a jdm aluminum shiftnob, but ive heard that it gets really hot in the sun, and ice cold during the winter. Is this true or just a rumor?

·
Banned
7,563 Posts
yes its true but get like a black sock or make a "rsx condom" to go over the knob and ull be coo

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
Its true, i had one. I sold my friend my stock knob for 10 dollars, got fed up and traded him the aluminium one.

·
Banned
7,563 Posts
no id say its definatly worth it......

·
Name's Vic
14,752 Posts

i got a Razo ball type and its heavy so shifting, to me, feels better but NJ has been getting ice cold lately and my palm has been taking a beating from that cold weather. As far as the summer its not that bad so im alright.

·
Remember
1,929 Posts
It does get hot/cold, but it feels so good, and the weight is so much better than stock, I have never regretted it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
ya in the winter the knob is so cold

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
to me, im so used to it that it doesnt even matter anymore...i mean, the car is still drivable/enjoyable...its def. not as bad as some people try to make it out to be

·
Back To Honda
4,126 Posts
YES, Its true but Definetly worth it.
I don't really mind having cold ass shiftknob for winter.
Excuse to wear nice winter gloves.:)
To be honest, Its not even that bad..

·
Registered
93 Posts
Yup its true it does, I just got mine like two weeks ago and I don't regret it either. It warms up anyways and It's much better than stock because you can feel it engage into gears much better when shifting fast and it looks dope! Just get one, come on!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
It's not as noticeable when it's cold because if you leave your hand on it, the knob warms up.

In the summer, though.......'nuther story.:nervous:

EDIT: When I first bought the knob, I put it on and thought it was a lot smaller than it looks in the pictures. Did anyone else experience this?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
sounds like it probably would be worth it, the only thing is that most of my driving during weekdays is in the morning when my car is freezing cold. i assume itll be much easier to install one when i get a B&M shortshifter if it ever comes out because i will be messing with the shifter anyway. Another question, is there anyway to get the shiftboot to stay up, because jdm shiftknobs seem to never have the boot attached under them, the shiftboot just kinda sags under it. If anyone knows what im talking about, thatd be awsome, and if anyone has pics of the knob id love to see those too.

Edit: While searching i heard someone said that if you get the knob from clubrsx.com that it comes with the shiftboot adaptor... is that the thing that connects the knob to the boot? If thats true ill get.

·
"Ethical" Hacker
1,340 Posts
like it was said before, in the cold it's not so bad, it warms up after a while. to keep it bearable in the summer, i just drape a white cloth over it when it's parked. helps keep it reasonably touchable... shifting is definitely crisper with the added weight of the aluminum...

here's a thread where i describe how to keep the OEM silver collar up against the knob, not using all the parts provided with the aluminum one...

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=132673

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
It's good stuff. I usually wear really thin gloves [that i use for snow boarding] in the winter. So i just keep them on until the car gets warmer. Haven't had the knob in the summer yet. We'll see what happens !! =0

·
Registered
38 Posts
ya i live in NJ, when it gets up in high 90s my shift knob is blazing, gotta take my hand off every min, good idea about the sock. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
thats 2 threads so far ive seen in 3 mins that noobs have brought back from the grave.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts