Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my jdm type-r shiftknob (aluminum) for about a year now, but i noticed a stain of some sort on my knob. I tried almost every general cleaning product but no success. If anyone has the same problem and has a remedy please let me know. (I think it could be sweat stain....LoL i get sweaty palm everytime i hit Hondata#4 VTEC)....here are pics

Attachments

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
this a replica? Where did you get it? I've seen cars over 5 years with this problem on the knob, but not 1 year...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
this is oem knob that I got from clubrsx...unless chris is selling replica....which i highly doubt. Any way to clean this stain?

·
Registered
88 Posts
could be the finish wearing off. i had a momo raptor shift know on my old civic hatch and after about a year, i noticed the finish wearing off on the right side of the knob. do you always keep your hand on the knob? i always did and suppose that is how finish wore off.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
omega-rsx-s, putting something over the knob defeats the whole purpose of a aluminum knob...
butters, there is no finish on bare aluminum...its not wearing off, it seems that something (possibly sweat? or something) has seeped into the grains of the machined aluminum...

i just need a solution to clean it off. (i've tried cleaning with clr,tooth paste, ammonia, vinegar, oxyclea etc....but the stain is there....) anybody know of a specialized aluminum cleaner?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hey MUXX, are you sure that this noxon stuff will get it off? cause I tried just about every commercially available stuff, even my brothers tooth whitener!!!....I cant just jump at a product that...may/may not get it off. did you have the same problem and did this clean it? are you recommending this product from experience or a hunch?

·
Administrator
6,578 Posts
If that is a non replica shiftknob, then it will be just machined out of solid aluminum and should not have any coating that would wear off. I am not be 100% sure it will take yours off. But if you polish the metal, it should remove it. Try one of those green scotch brite pads on it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well, i tried a jewelry cleaner/silver polish on it before..twice...its some sort of pink compound-like thing and i used a toothbrush to apply and to buff for 5min....nothing happened... this is driving me nuts!! there has to be something that will get this off....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i will try that scotch-brite scour pads...unless anybody else has a better idea....a friend of mine suggested that i wet-sand or use a dremel to etch!!! no friggin way!!...

·
64 Posts
It's not bare aluminum. Bare aluminum will corrode if not finished. The knob is most likely anodized clear, which can eventually wear through.

·
Registered
2,837 Posts
could just buff it, that might fix it up.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts