Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am considering the purchase of a type-s (among many other cars) and one of the first mods i want to do is an hid kit. my main concern with installing an aftermarket hid kit is the glare that will follow when installed in the usdm, halogen housing. i don't want to pay a grand for the jdm hid setup so i am wondering what the difference is between the usdm and jdm/hid housings?

has anyone been able to compare these side by side? i am wondering if it is just a difference in the shield that covers the light bulb? i am guessing there has to be a difference in these, but is that the only difference?

i have been looking around hidforums and it seems someone makes aftermarket shields... so i am wondering if anyone makes h-1 shields that match the jdm versions of the rsx lamps so that a retrofit would be as simple as swapping the shield?

· I got blown!
310 Posts
The sheilds are different. The HID cutoff all of the light that would reflect down to create the \__ . I believe the HID also have a different reflector (not sure, they look very similar). I had a HID kit in my 'jdm' knockoffs and there was some glare. I got the JDM HIDs and there is no glare, but the terrible cutoff that blinded everyone comming towards me. Well, since i felt bad, i opened up the lights and extended the sheild so i know have a ___ cutoff. I have not seen an aftermrket sheild, but for $.29 and some time, you can make your own.

· parts selling freak
588 Posts
if you are willing to spend that kind of money for lights then i would go illusion-lighting.com and check out the retrofit!! im going to do it when i get done with my current project. what they do is take your oem lights and add either s2000 or valeo projectors, 4100k hid kit wiring harness and so on. they modify your lights for this conversion. its some really kewl stuff :thumbsup:

· Immortal Ueshiba Morihei
1,226 Posts
BlackandBlue said:
The sheilds are different. The HID cutoff all of the light that would reflect down to create the \__ . I believe the HID also have a different reflector (not sure, they look very similar). I had a HID kit in my 'jdm' knockoffs and there was some glare. I got the JDM HIDs and there is no glare, but the terrible cutoff that blinded everyone comming towards me. Well, since i felt bad, i opened up the lights and extended the sheild so i know have a ___ cutoff. I have not seen an aftermrket sheild, but for $.29 and some time, you can make your own.
I would like to know, does the jdm HIDs have the same bulb type as the US spec lamp bulbs which is H1?

· I got blown!
310 Posts
no, the jdm HIDs are real HIDs, so they are d2s bulbs. True HID systems take either d2s bulbs (reflector type housing) or d2r bulbs (projector housing). the bulbs dont fit in any other housings. The jdm halogens on the other hand take H1 bulbs. Wow, this was brought up from the dead.

· Old Man
2,110 Posts
BlackandBlue said:
no, the jdm HIDs are real HIDs, so they are d2s bulbs. True HID systems take either d2s bulbs (reflector type housing) or d2r bulbs (projector housing). the bulbs dont fit in any other housings. The jdm halogens on the other hand take H1 bulbs. Wow, this was brought up from the dead.
d2r = reflector
d2s = projector

you kinda had it backwards but all good :thumbsup:

· Immortal Ueshiba Morihei
1,226 Posts
The RSX Texan said:
d2r = reflector
d2s = projector

you kinda had it backwards but all good :thumbsup:
ok, now its more clearer.

so what I have in my XD is D2r right? :D

· Headlight Guy
6,773 Posts
whitson01 said:
if you are willing to spend that kind of money for lights then i would go illusion-lighting.com and check out the retrofit!! im going to do it when i get done with my current project. what they do is take your oem lights and add either s2000 or valeo projectors, 4100k hid kit wiring harness and so on. they modify your lights for this conversion. its some really kewl stuff :thumbsup:
Illusion-lighting is expensive, I do them for about $100-200 less with components of your choice

· Headlight Guy
6,773 Posts
BlackandBlue said:
It takes care of the blinding oncoming traffic problem, but is the right side of the road lit up enough for you? The only aftermarket shields I know off are for h4 reflector applications. The h1 and JDM (HID) have different rflector designs for the different focal points from the respective bulbs. No sheild will remedy that. A retrofit will end costing less in the long run I would think. How much did you end up spending in total, if you don't mind my asking?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.