Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 96 Posts

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a lot of debate between the members here, I finally have the results on if JET has or has not modified the ECU. To make it perfectly clear, I am only posting these results for wackypack (the owner of the ECU) and Hondata (who wanted the test done) as an unbiased 3rd party that wants to know if it does anything or not.

What I did was use an OBDII scan tool to bring up the calibration id and the CVN on the JET ECU. I did this test twice several hours apart to verify that information doesn't change. The stock ECU was plugged in during that time period. I have attached the pictures to show the ECU plugged in and the scan tool reading the ECU. I have also attached the calibration id table for all stock Acura RSX base model ECU's. If you take a look at the zip file you will see the document inside of there. That document was lasted edited on February 23rd, which is before I got the ECU yesterday. The reason this is important is because if you look at the calibration id table and the CVN number they match. This means that the ECU has not been modified in any way. Anytime you make a change to the ECU, that CVN number will change. I am going to test this more when I get back from the Hondata seminar this weekend but after all of my research, this does seem to be the case each and every time.

I will let you guys debate this for now. I will do my best to answer questions but I am on a plane in a few hours and will only have email access and not internet access.

Here is some info for you guys to chew on as well:

http://www.vetronix.com/diagnostics/scantest/global_obd_ii.html
http://www.obdiicsu.com/Docs/CAC/TCackette2.pdf - Page 6
http://www.ncvecs.colostate.edu/cac.docs/cac19.docs/cac19pres/McCarthyOBD - Page 9

"The Information mode displays identification information provided by the
vehicle's OBD n ECU. Information can include VIN, Calibration ID used for
software identification within the ECU, and Calibration Verification Number
used to determine whether emission-related calibrations have been altered."

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is something to just help back up the case for this. I modified my programmable ECU by adjusting the timing .25 at 8100 to see if the codes would change. The first picture is before and the second is after. You can see that the CVN code did change.

·
New car again...
5,092 Posts
Nice info Chris. :)

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
Damn, JET...say it isnt so. What now?
I was soooo hoping this would turn out with positive results.
Legally speaking, is thier something that can be done to get refunds for those who purchased this thing?

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bnice3001 said:
Damn, JET...say it isnt so. What now?
I was soooo hoping this would turn out with positive results.
Legally speaking, is thier something that can be done to get refunds for those who purchased this thing?
I am going to answer this question now. I honestly cannot give advice on what to do because JET can come back and sue us. What I suggest is that anyone who has purchased the JET ECU needs to take these results back to them and see what they say.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I knew this was going to happen. I sat back and watched. Its a situation similar to that venom chip that claimed so much gains and whatnut, and ended up to be bogus. In automobile industry, i believe most of the time you get what you paid for. Thats why I went with Hondata. Its proven too many times on too many hondas.

·
Registered
213 Posts
:iamwiths:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Shame on you that think any aftermarket flash is as good as Hondata.
One good example I can think of is the JR power card. It has no tunability and is very specific/generic to the kit you buy, regardless of mods. A hondata flash is much better than it. No arguement. Again it's still specific but hondata found even more power than the JR powercard did.

The black market of chiping rides has been going on for years. The older tuners would have numerous stories to affirm that, but it's a warning to the newbies who believe and buy all the claims made by so called power adding companies. This is just one more example. Buyer beware! I enjoy the freedom of tuning freelance with the Kpro and it can never be compared to a simple flash, even if some company does improve stock power with a generic flash for less money. What you want is total Hondata control baby! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
myeverlovinsir said:
Shame on you that think any aftermarket flash is as good as Hondata.
One good example I can think of is the JR power card. It has no tunability and is very specific/generic to the kit you buy, regardless of mods. A hondata flash is much better than it. No arguement. Again it's still specific but hondata found even more power than the JR powercard did.

The black market of chiping rides has been going on for years. The older tuners would have numerous stories to affirm that, but it's a warning to the newbies who believe and buy all the claims made by so called power adding companies. This is just one more example. Buyer beware! I enjoy the freedom of tuning freelance with the Kpro and it can never be compared to a simple flash, even if some company does improve stock power with a generic flash for less money. What you want is total Hondata control baby! :thumbsup:

Let me tell you something if hondata sells even SHIT, I WILL STILL F..ing BUY IT!!! :laughing: :D

:flush: the jet chip.

·
Registered
86 Posts
REDLINE JUNKIE said:

Let me tell you something if hondata sells even SHIT, I WILL STILL F..ing BUY IT!!! :laughing: :D

:flush: the jet chip.
I would have thought that obvious, but thanks for sharing. ;)

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
So JET really charged $200 for 3 Stickers? Damn... I'm gotta get them to explain this to everyone or I smell lawsuits...

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Actually Ultra it is $309 to be exact. I called JET shortly after Chris got into contact with me. Spoke with an associate named Nick. Craig (the manager) was busy and I had to leave a message to speak with him. He has not returned my call. I also emailed JET with a link to this thread so they can read it and look at the test that Chris did. I told them I wanted my money back. Nicks first response was that the test Chris ran isn't enough to prove any wrong doing on JET's part. He said something to the effect of "since the ECU is sitting at zero and is not under "load" you are going to get stock numbers. That you would have to test it while its under load to see the changes they have made." And then so on about some sorta mapping device to see curves and other things. Its kinda funny cause he told me that he drives a Type-S with the Hondata flash. I asked him why he chose Hondata over JET when he himself works for JET. He said that the Hondata program is more aggressive and therefore better than JET. I am assuming the latter part taking it out of context.

Im sorry but I dont understand whats going on. Im not mechanically or electronically inclined. I have a business degree, so I know business. And what they are doing is wrong. My only hope is that I get restitution for all this.

--One pissed individual :jigglemad

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
There are still a few tests that Chris wants to run, maybe the very end result will vary from the OBDII test. Im trying to stay as optimistic as possible. Guess I just dont want to hear "I told ya so".

It would be nice if a JET rep would sign on and answer these questions. Believe me I can give him an earful.

·
Registered
6,623 Posts
Its hard to believe any of these results - Im sure "Chris" is a little swayed towards Hondata considering how much money they must of spent through advertising on Clubrsx

·
VS. Godzilla
2,220 Posts
I doubt Chris would lie. Lying means dead meat and being flamed to eternal hell from this thread. I will call Jet as well Tomorrow, See what they say. If not, I'll just ask my credit card to charge them back. Oh well... Sucks to have to do this, too much time consumed...

1 - 20 of 96 Posts