Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JRSC belts & pulleys: please discuss it here

49536 Views 819 Replies 63 Participants Last post by  iamsyko
I know a lot of us JRSC guys having or had problems with our belts and pulleys and a lot of time we hijacking other threads because of it, so I thought it was a good idea to start up on a thread just about jrsc belts and pulleys. The thread is not only for current jrsc peeps but also for the newbies as well so they won't get us frustrated asking the same question over and over again.

I'll start off with one question, I read around and found a member who is using a goodyear 070775 belt which is 7 rib and 77.5 inches long. I tried a dayco belt that was 77.5 long and it wasn't even anywhere close to fitting onto the 3.4 pulley. The dayco 78.9 belt fit extremely well for the purpose. What I want to know is that anyone else tried the goodyear 77.5 long on a 3.4 pulley or is it because different makers make belt a little bit different in length.

TT
501 - 520 of 820 Posts
:confused: Guess who just joined the JRSC Belt Shredders of America?

That's right, ....me :jigglemad .

I think it's completely my fault though. I was cleaning the engine bay of my car with Gunk, getting her ready for a car show. Well, the engine bay looks brand new again :thumbsup: , but it cost me a belt :firemad: . I'm guessing that stuff made the belts/pulleys a little slick and caused the belt to slip and then shred. It happened at the worst time, on the way work tonight :firemad: :firemad: . Now, my car is in a parking lot that is marked "No Night Parking Without Permit." That's right, I don't have a permit so I'm praying to god my car doesn't get towed :nervous: . I left a note on the car saying I would call a tow truck when I got off work at 7:00AM.

But wait, there's more :crying: ! My boss calls me about 30 minutes ago and tells me his wife is in labor, so guess who gets to work late. That's right again, me! Please let me car be there when I get off work. Please, please, pppllllleeeeaaaasssseee.

Quick question for you other shredders. When the belt goes, the car dies? Cause mine did! I thought I read you just lose the SC, power steering and AC :confused: . Like I've previously mentioned, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, that's the reason I ask if the car is supposed to die. Otherwise, something else is also wrong :nervous:.
See less See more
your post is very colorful
chk said:
Quick question for you other shredders. When the belt goes, the car dies? Cause mine did! I thought I read you just lose the SC, power steering and AC :confused: . Like I've previously mentioned, I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, that's the reason I ask if the car is supposed to die. Otherwise, something else is also wrong :nervous:.
I have never lost the whole belt, just a couple of ribs. Keep in mind that if you do loose the whole belt (sounds like you did) you wouldnt want to drive the car. The water pump is connected to the belt so no coolant would be flowing through your engine and thats very very bad.
Your wife is in labor as in child labor? If my wife was in labor who gives a shit about the car!!! LOL congrats on being a new daddy!!!

I have driven the car with the belt completely off!!!! It should still run but not for long
the engine doesn't shut off if the belt isn't on, you can drive the car without the belt but watch the temp gauge or you'll overheat

BTW: I'm the president of Belt Shredders, welcome! lol
tt061880 said:
BTW: I'm the president of Belt Shredders, welcome! lol
Oh yeah? how many have you gone through? I am on my seventh!
alphaSSmale said:
Oh yeah? how many have you gone through? I am on my seventh!
LOL me too...looks like TT is up for re-election :laughing:

Brock how is your belt holding up? This is my longest lasting belt. JR did a real good job fixing our belt alignment...hopefully this is the last and final belt :thumbsup:
ok guys i just received the new idle pulleys. The diameters are 2" and 2.5".

I'm wondering which pulley goes to which tensioner bracket. help!
i VieTEC said:
Your wife is in labor as in child labor? If my wife was in labor who gives a shit about the car!!! LOL congrats on being a new daddy!!!

I have driven the car with the belt completely off!!!! It should still run but not for long

:iamwiths:

Congrates pops :thumbsup:

:beerchug:

Here's to another future VTECer :driving: :p
uchiha said:
ok guys i just received the new idle pulleys. The diameters are 2" and 2.5".

I'm wondering which pulley goes to which tensioner bracket. help!
2.5" idle pulley is for shorter fixed scissor plate (below P/S pulley)

2.0" idle pulley is for longer adjustable scissor plate (below Blower pulley)
i VieTEC said:
2.5" idle pulley is for shorter fixed scissor plate (below P/S pulley)

2.0" idle pulley is for longer adjustable scissor plate (below Blower pulley)
thanks!
uchiha said:
My 2000th post!!!

Is the pulley metal or plastic? They fabricated mine out of metal and recorded the specs. Tested on my car and found that it works great. Then made a set for alphassmale also.
No. no, no. I'm done done having kids, Dr. Dickchop :eek: took care of that a few years ago. I already have three college educations, :D uh children.

My boss is the one who became a new papa. I will pass on the congrats though :thumbsup: .

My son is already looking forward to VTECing, he gets my car in 5 years when he turns 16. He already has 2F2F plans for it :rolleyes: .

P.S. I DON'T want to be capitan of the shredder's team, I'd prefer to retire after this season.
i VieTEC said:
My 2000th post!!!

Is the pulley metal or plastic? They fabricated mine out of metal and recorded the specs. Tested on my car and found that it works great. Then made a set for alphassmale also.
it's made out of nylon. i'll be putting them on tonight with a 7 rib belt (running 6 rib ever since the JRSC was installed -_- )and we'll see how it goes from there
uchiha said:
it's made out of nylon. i'll be putting them on tonight with a 7 rib belt (running 6 rib ever since the JRSC was installed -_- )and we'll see how it goes from there
Hope it works out. Good luck. Let's get rid of this club all together. The belt shredders club that is!

Jamie
Update: put on new idle and power steering pulleys along with the 7-rib Goodyear gatorback Poly-V belt. So far the belt seems to be running smooth and strong.

Hopefully my belt issue is fixed for good.
i had the problem where the bottom bolt on the scissor tensioner stripped out. It actually happened while tightening my belt during dyno tuning :( :( :(

it caused the belt to be misaligned pretty badly and shred off one of the ribs.

thread:
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?p=3219429#post3219429
Okay guys, I'm starting to get frustrated :firemad: ! Last week I thru my first belt which I think was my fault from cleaning the engine bay. I had the belt replaced and now less than 60 miles, the new belt has already lost the inner most rib and is now back at the shop :firemad: . These guys are telling me that one or more of the pulleys is out of alignment now. I find it funny that the original belt was on for 9000 miles/ 6 months with NO problems. And now this...

So, after my ranting, I have a question for you guys. Do you think when the original belt shredded last week that it could cause one or more of the pulleys to be mis-aligned? I'm just trying to be an educated consumer and not getting screwed on a repair bill. I don't understand why they didn't notice this last week! I tried calling JR to see if they think this could be a possibility, but the tecnical department was alredy closed.
chk said:
Okay guys, I'm starting to get frustrated :firemad: ! Last week I thru my first belt which I think was my fault from cleaning the engine bay. I had the belt replaced and now less than 60 miles, the new belt has already lost the inner most rib and is now back at the shop :firemad: . These guys are telling me that one or more of the pulleys is out of alignment now. I find it funny that the original belt was on for 9000 miles/ 6 months with NO problems. And now this...

So, after my ranting, I have a question for you guys. Do you think when the original belt shredded last week that it could cause one or more of the pulleys to be mis-aligned? I'm just trying to be an educated consumer and not getting screwed on a repair bill. I don't understand why they didn't notice this last week! I tried calling JR to see if they think this could be a possibility, but the tecnical department was alredy closed.
called up JR again and asked for the redesigned power steering, blower, & idle pulleys. put those suckers on and you'll be belt problem freeeeee
501 - 520 of 820 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top