Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JRSC belts & pulleys: please discuss it here

52K views 819 replies 63 participants last post by  iamsyko 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know a lot of us JRSC guys having or had problems with our belts and pulleys and a lot of time we hijacking other threads because of it, so I thought it was a good idea to start up on a thread just about jrsc belts and pulleys. The thread is not only for current jrsc peeps but also for the newbies as well so they won't get us frustrated asking the same question over and over again.

I'll start off with one question, I read around and found a member who is using a goodyear 070775 belt which is 7 rib and 77.5 inches long. I tried a dayco belt that was 77.5 long and it wasn't even anywhere close to fitting onto the 3.4 pulley. The dayco 78.9 belt fit extremely well for the purpose. What I want to know is that anyone else tried the goodyear 77.5 long on a 3.4 pulley or is it because different makers make belt a little bit different in length.

TT

#78 ·
I found this site from a friend...this is a part number for something like a 61.5" belt...I'm going to get it so I have some room to use on the belt tensioner. I'm now using the 7-8lb pulley for my si..which is the same pully you guys get stock (adds boost for us, because we have a slightly different setup).

But the guy who gave me the link said these are dayco belts and is a 7rib like the stock ones
when you click on the link, put in your zipcode and click enter, it will show, but I guess it doesn't help all that much since you guys will probably need a bigger belt...maybe they have one
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...ARCHRESULTS&mfrcode=DAY&mfrpartnumber=5070615

#79 ·
02SilverSiHB said:
I found this site from a friend...this is a part number for something like a 61.5" belt...I'm going to get it so I have some room to use on the belt tensioner. I'm now using the 7-8lb pulley for my si..which is the same pully you guys get stock (adds boost for us, because we have a slightly different setup).

But the guy who gave me the link said these are dayco belts and is a 7rib like the stock ones
when you click on the link, put in your zipcode and click enter, it will show, but I guess it doesn't help all that much since you guys will probably need a bigger belt...maybe they have one
http://www.partsamerica.com/PartDet...ARCHRESULTS&mfrcode=DAY&mfrpartnumber=5070615
Nice, thanks!

I have to figure out how to add these to the store.

#80 ·
K20A2 said:
Nice, thanks!

I have to figure out how to add these to the store.
also what's weird, is I can't find out how the guy found that part, without selecting a car. I try going through the site so I can find a belt for you guys, you guys are wanting a 77.5 one right? well if you notice my link, the last three are 615...hence 61.5" belt that I want. I tried putting in 775 in place but that didn't work, so then I tried going through to find it manually and that is a pain :jigglemad

#86 ·
tt061880 said:
if you mount the AC compressor on and not using it, the power loss could be minimal
It would be minimal indeed. With the ac off the pully on the ac compressor spins freely.

#89 ·
Okay, here is the thing. The belt route above can not be use because the two tensioner pulleys will make the belt rub against each other. Trust me I just tried it. The only other thing I came up with is a bigger pulley on the scissor bracket. This is the pulley right after the crank pulley. I tried to put on the 3.0" pulley from the stock tensioner and it clears the motor mount and I think it will work. Now if I can just find one with bearings in it, I will try it out. If I can't my buddy said he is going to make it work. One way or another I hope to have the K24 crank pulley functioning and running 9 PSI. Also I will need to find a belt that is about an inch longer. I know, here we go with the belt issues again.

#93 ·
Easy there killer. If I have to squelch this belt issue then I will. I may not have a "race" ready clutch, but I can still drive around. Let me and my original belt for the JRSC. 3.4 inch S/C pulley and a K24 crank pulley see what is up. I won't be able to run max boost but I can at least give some insight to the belt issues alot of you have been having. Give me a couple of days.

K20A2 said:
I will find it, if I have to break 10 belts in a day, that is what I will do to make more boost a reality for everyone!

haha, just had to do that. It is my I am running for head of the boost forum speech.

#94 · (Edited)
jsfwds2k said:
Okay, here is the thing. The belt route above can not be use because the two tensioner pulleys will make the belt rub against each other. Trust me I just tried it. The only other thing I came up with is a bigger pulley on the scissor bracket. This is the pulley right after the crank pulley. I tried to put on the 3.0" pulley from the stock tensioner and it clears the motor mount and I think it will work. Now if I can just find one with bearings in it, I will try it out. If I can't my buddy said he is going to make it work. One way or another I hope to have the K24 crank pulley functioning and running 9 PSI. Also I will need to find a belt that is about an inch longer. I know, here we go with the belt issues again.

I get what you mean now Jamie, and I got a few suggestions though. Unless JR send out parts that are in different sizes for different kit, the idle pulley and tensioner pulley shouldn't cause the belt to rub against each other. From my point of view, the made the scissor that hold the tensioner pulley longer than the idle pulley just in case we got a belt that was a bit too long.

To fix your problem, it isn't that hard, just find a shorter belt. The shorter belt will bring the tension pulley away from the idle pulley and that will sove your problem.

EDITED: when I said parts that are different sizes for different kit, I meant that the scissor that come with your kit might have been a bit shorter than the scissor that came with my kit

#95 ·
wdsonny said:
Easy there killer. If I have to squelch this belt issue then I will. I may not have a "race" ready clutch, but I can still drive around. Let me and my original belt for the JRSC. 3.4 inch S/C pulley and a K24 crank pulley see what is up. I won't be able to run max boost but I can at least give some insight to the belt issues alot of you have been having. Give me a couple of days.
haha, I was just playing around, but you know that. I am very interested to see what other people are running into because it might help explain my problem. I am to a point where I am thinking about running a video camera on the belt when it is on my dyno (I love saying that :)) to see what it is doing.

#96 ·
I do see what you are saying. If I could draw a picture of what I mean I would. I will try to explain it again. If you go from the crank pulley to the water pump, no matter how the tensioner is, the belt will hit itself. I tried to route it any way I could to get it not to and still would hit. Even if I had a shorter belt it would hit. I guess until you actually try it yourself you won't know what I mean. I thought it would work too until I went out and actually took the parts off and tried it. I also tried the stock belt to see if I could figure something out. I couldn't come up with anything yet. I am getting there though.

Jamie

#97 ·
To me it is much better not to mess with the belt setup and figure out the problem in reverse. Find the problem then find a good solution to fix it. So if a part is in your way, figure out how to remove or replace that part. Don't rework the belt because then you can be putting strain on parts there shouldn't be strain on.

#99 ·
I tried to use it with the 3" SC pulley but it didn't work. So now I am using the 3" SC pulley with the stock crank pulley with more success. I am running a 62.5" belt because I am bypassing the A/C unit.

Reading about this hose has made me wonder if that was part of the problem, I am going to go back and check when I get some free time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.