Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

JRSC belts & pulleys: please discuss it here

52K views 819 replies 63 participants last post by  iamsyko 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I know a lot of us JRSC guys having or had problems with our belts and pulleys and a lot of time we hijacking other threads because of it, so I thought it was a good idea to start up on a thread just about jrsc belts and pulleys. The thread is not only for current jrsc peeps but also for the newbies as well so they won't get us frustrated asking the same question over and over again.

I'll start off with one question, I read around and found a member who is using a goodyear 070775 belt which is 7 rib and 77.5 inches long. I tried a dayco belt that was 77.5 long and it wasn't even anywhere close to fitting onto the 3.4 pulley. The dayco 78.9 belt fit extremely well for the purpose. What I want to know is that anyone else tried the goodyear 77.5 long on a 3.4 pulley or is it because different makers make belt a little bit different in length.

TT

#10 ·
tt061880 said:
he's the only one I know that still run on the original belt, the rest of gone through at least 2 belts and maybe still counting lol
Nope...I'm still on the original belt and I've had my charger longer than sonny. I've also upgraded from street to race and from race @ 5# to race @ 7# and still have no belt problems

#11 ·
yea this thread is a good idea... cuz i'm a noob on the jrsc.. cuz i'm getting mine in a weeks time.. and i'v seen ppl say that they have had problems with the belt that comes with the kit... soo i just wanted to know if useing the origenal belt is better or should i get a nother one..?

#12 ·
Norman Sipp said:
Nope...I'm still on the original belt and I've had my charger longer than sonny. I've also upgraded from street to race and from race @ 5# to race @ 7# and still have no belt problems

I think the sc kit back in the days was better made than now. As far as I know, everyone who got the kit since march had threw a belt. Very nice going there norman sipp, u are the JRSC OG lol

#18 ·
My belt is still going, clutch is gone, but anyway. My belt is still good, but one rib closest to the snout is gone. I never noticed it until Doug pointed it out last week. I am researching as to which belt to get to replace it. Dayco and Goodyear are built about the same. The length issue is what seems to perplex everyone. Let me see what I can find out.

#19 ·
wdsonny said:
My belt is still going, clutch is gone, but anyway. My belt is still good, but one rib closest to the snout is gone. I never noticed it until Doug pointed it out last week. I am researching as to which belt to get to replace it. Dayco and Goodyear are built about the same. The length issue is what seems to perplex everyone. Let me see what I can find out.

that's what I thought about the dayco and the goodyear, they both look the same

#20 · (Edited)
tt061880 said:
he's the only one I know that still run on the original belt, the rest of gone through at least 2 belts and maybe still counting lol
i've still got my original belt, been on since early april, running the 7lb pulley.

no problems at all, and i don't have any black dust in the engine bay that many others (including sonny) were complaining about.

#22 ·
tt061880 said:
I think the sc kit back in the days was better made than now. As far as I know, everyone who got the kit since march had threw a belt. Very nice going there norman sipp, u are the JRSC OG lol
I got mine during the CRSX special back in March and my belt is still on. My two questions about the throwing/shredding belts are:

1. How many of you installed the SC yourselves (I absolutely mean no disrespect to you, I admire your desires to work on your cars. I wish I had ANY mechanical inclination when it came to cars)?

2. How many are running the 3.4" (7psi) pulley? (It seems like a lot of you guys with the 3.4" pulley are the ones losing belts. This is what scares me since I just ordered it last week :nervous: )

Anyways, keep on boosting!

#23 ·
I installed it myself and when I my belt shredded, it was on the 4'0 pulley. I then haven't found a 7 rib to use with so i've been on the 6 rib with the 3'4. I'm going to try to get a 7 rib and run it with the 3'4 and see what going to happen. To be honest, at the time when the first belt shredded on me, I just had the kit on for a few days(I was new at this sc thing) and the belt was loose and I was bouncing off the rev limiter. I also didn't have the mm inserts at the time either so I don't know if the mm inserts could have prevented this. After that I went to the track and snap a 6 rib (gates belt) in half and I purchased a dayco 6 rib and when I had it on it was loose so it jumped one rib over toward the driver side of the sc pulley.

My conclusion is that maybe at the time I shredded my first belt, I was new at this whole thing and loose belt definely going to jump on you. I'm now using the same dayco belt that jumped on me. I've been to the track two times with it and so far so good still.

PS: someone find a direct source for a 7rib that works on our car pleaseeeeeeeeeee I'm very desperate as you seen on my dyno, the 6 rib will start slipping at about 7500rpm. None of the autopart stores around here carry anything close to the 78.6 that we needed.

#26 ·
I am on my forth belt :p

The first belt shredded because of a pully malfunction so it was replaced under warranty. My second belt shredded bacause I was a dumbass and over tighten it. My third belt disinigrated due to no apparent reason one day after installation...

Anyway I would like to see a list of compatable belts for our chargers...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.