Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right Guys, I just had my car on a rolling road and I have the sheet below but here is where I get confused. In December Doug came to the UK and dyno'd my car on a DynoPac and it made [email protected] the hubs @ 6.5psi with Hondata JRSC flash. Now I have 8.5psi and Kpro but this was done on a rolling road and made 250 @ the wheels and the tuner said this was 295 @ the fly. Anyway this thing flies, the tuner went to Hondata last month and went out in Dougs car and he said mine is faster :) (do try and keep up Doug ;) )

· Registered
133 Posts
:wavey: Hello herts62
You are 650cc injectors and 8.5PSI now :thumbsup:
But why you have only 250whp (295hp on the fly) with this setup ? :confused:
You are the 3" exhaust ?

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
menfou said:
:wavey: Hello herts62
You are 650cc injectors and 8.5PSI now :thumbsup:
But why you have only 250whp (295hp on the fly) with this setup ? :confused:
You are the 3" exhaust ?
No, I don't have a 3" exhaust and I am not sure if I need one. There does not seem to be any dips in power and Doug has not tested the 3" to see if it makes things better, if it does I will get one. As for the power
:dontknow: Like I said, I had it tested at 6.5psi on a dynopac with 294bhp but remember this was at the hubs not the wheels. Doug says that the rolling road reads about 30% less then dynopac which would then be 325bhp. Like I said, confusing but this car is fast, shall be doing a 1/4 very soon (hopefully in the dry!)

· Registered
133 Posts
Yes I remember this was at the hubs not the wheels, but I measured 240whp and 278hp on my car(5PSI 550cc), 14% lost in the gear box, I don't think you lost more than 1% between the hub and the wheel.

Do you have a tape recorder,wave-recorder or notebook ?

· Registered
133 Posts
I think you know where is the wire for RPM (bleu wire).
You are 12V between this wire and the ground.

You need a 24kohms resistor, 1kohms resistor, a jack mono 3.25mm(to put in notebook's microphone)

You must to have 0.5Volts.(1volt is the maximum)

Prepare the notebook to record a wave, 44khtz 8bits mono
Put the 3rd gear, stay at 1500rpm, and when you accelerate at 100% start the record.

Send me the wave in .wav format, and say me the weight+3rd ratio+final ratio.

I use this to make my dyno, and when I was stock my software say me 198bhp ;)

Believe me, 5£ it's the maximum price ;)

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
menfou said:
I think you know where is the wire for RPM (bleu wire).
You are 12V between this wire and the ground.

You need a 24kohms resistor, 1kohms resistor, a jack mono 3.25mm(to put in notebook's microphone)

You must to have 0.5Volts.(1volt is the maximum)

Prepare the notebook to record a wave, 44khtz 8bits mono
Put the 3rd gear, stay at 1500rpm, and when you accelerate at 100% start the record.

Send me the wave in .wav format, and say me the weight+3rd ratio+final ratio.

I use this to make my dyno, and when I was stock my software say me 198bhp ;)

Believe me, 5£ it's the maximum price ;)
When you was stock it said 198bhp so what does it tell you now?

· Registered
133 Posts
Now he says me 278bhp
With only Injen CAI : 210bhp
With Injen CAI and JR Header : 223bhp
With Injen CAI and JR Header and Hondata : 241bhp

On a Dyno I have 240whp and 277.4hp

· Registered
133 Posts
Take 3 or 4 tests (so 3 .wav) if you want a very good dyno

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
menfou said:
Now he says me 278bhp
With only Injen CAI : 210bhp
With Injen CAI and JR Header : 223bhp
With Injen CAI and JR Header and Hondata : 241bhp

On a Dyno I have 240whp and 277.4hp
I have got to say that all those figures look too high, have you had your car on a rolling road? and have you done any 1/4 mile runs? I am not trying to flame you but I want to keep it real.

· Registered
133 Posts
I am french and I don't understand "rolling road"
If a rolling road is 2 rollers where you put your car on with a ventilator (FAN) , the answer is YES, and I have 240whp and 277.4hp

· Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
menfou said:
I am french and I don't understand "rolling road"
If a rolling road is 2 rollers where you put your car on with a ventilator (FAN) , the answer is YES, and I have 240whp and 277.4hp
Ok, then I don't know what to say. At the end of the day dyno figures mean zip, its how your car performs on the street or track that matters, right?

· Registered
133 Posts
On street :
My Civic Vs S2000 0-124mph
0-62mhp , my car slips , but I stay near the S2000, but when I put the 3rd (~60mph) , the S2000 is behind me , and at 100mph I am 10-15 meters in front of the S2000, and at 130mph 20-25 meters.

I waited to solve my 7100and 7600rpm problems before to go on track.
It's my stock exhaust (1.85" internal and 2" external) the problem.

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
herts62 said:
Right Guys, I just had my car on a rolling road and I have the sheet below but here is where I get confused. In December Doug came to the UK and dyno'd my car on a DynoPac and it made [email protected] the hubs @ 6.5psi with Hondata JRSC flash. Now I have 8.5psi and Kpro but this was done on a rolling road and made 250 @ the wheels and the tuner said this was 295 @ the fly. Anyway this thing flies, the tuner went to Hondata last month and went out in Dougs car and he said mine is faster :) (do try and keep up Doug ;) )
I have been on a DynoDynamics and carefully examined the DynoDynamics screens and setup. There is a correction factor they use, or else the DynoDynamics reads way, way low. Comptech Sports USA, a most respected Acura/Honda tuner in the US, uses a 1.12 correction factor. I've also seen discussions on this on New Zealand boards (the DynoDynamics comes from Australia I think), and they, too, say it reads very low. One number I saw was 27% less than flywheel. That same article said the Dynapack reads 9% below flywheel. Now that may have pretained to a particular car, but I think the suggestion is that the DynoDynamics, without correction, reads very low.

· Registered
44 Posts
Conrad,

Hi, my name is Guy the owner of CPL Racing were Herts car was tuned, this is very interesting what you are saying and i'm always open to new suggestions however I do beleive that the figures given by Dyno Dynamics are correct. It is true that a correction factor can be used which is useful to make like for like comparisons with say the rest of the world. I do actually have graphs for the same car tested on our dyno and a dynopak so should be able to make a comparison. I am told that Dynojet reads 20% higher than Dyno Dynamics, which I understand is generally regarded as the standard in the U.S. I think there are only a couple of these in the U.K. What is also interesting is that I was in the U.S. testing Dougs car a couple of weeks ago on a Dynapak with 290 at the hubs and also drove the car on the road, I also was driven in Herts car and it feels faster in fact it gave me a headache it was that fast.

· Registered
425 Posts
this rolling road v hubs debate still continues and makes us all go round in a circle

then thers subjective dyno butt

thens there humidity/temp/sealevel

wat we all really want is not absolute power comparisons as this is meaningless but rather good old fashioned speed /time stats

why cant we all just put the car on a rolling road and floor it -accelerating thru the gears to max with datalogging all the way incl 0 to 60, 1/4 mile 0 to 100 and speeds thru gears

no correction factors -only varibale would be , temp on day etc and rolling road resistance

· Registered
44 Posts
alanb said:
this rolling road v hubs debate still continues and makes us all go round in a circle

then thers subjective dyno butt

thens there humidity/temp/sealevel

wat we all really want is not absolute power comparisons as this is meaningless but rather good old fashioned speed /time stats

why cant we all just put the car on a rolling road and floor it -accelerating thru the gears to max with datalogging all the way incl 0 to 60, 1/4 mile 0 to 100 and speeds thru gears

no correction factors -only varibale would be , temp on day etc and rolling road resistance
Alan,

Temp, humidity etc are compensated for on good modern dyno's certainly ours, as I said we have dyno charts for a couple of cars that have been tested back to back on ours and a dynapak so should be able to equate results.

· Registered
425 Posts
hi guy congrats on tuning herts 62 to what must be almost his max power attainable on stock internals and im pleased that as a uk tuner u r getting heavily involved with the k pro

having kept on an m3's ass tonite (but not overtaken him) the timing of all this could not be better as we all like our stealth modded hondas to keep up with at least bavarian techno expertise

but i wanna beat him-the toda package is superb and we were nek and nek at 120 on twisty country roads-first time ive really been challenged to date and its humbling actually

perhaps a shot of nitro would have helped but id rather remain n/a

stanwan talked of itbs?

ps just checked my bmw sites and it was a csl m3 with sequential gear shift etc rated at 360 hp so well pleased ! :)

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
alanb said:
having kept on an m3's ass tonite (but not overtaken him) the timing of all this could not be better as we all like our stealth modded hondas to keep up with at least bavarian techno expertise

but i wanna beat him-the toda package is superb and we were nek and nek at 120 on twisty country roads-first time ive really been challenged to date and its humbling actually
Alan, I've been on both sides. I had a M3, US spec, and now I have a mildly modded RSX. Now both those cars perform at a lower level than the old Euro M3 or the E46, and my RSX is not as hot as yours. Still, I can tell you some basics:

Even though my US M3 was only rated 240 hp, it felt absolutely ferocious. Between the big wheels and the traction control, I simply never had a traction issue, yet the car took off like a bat out of hell at every stop. I was truly never afraid of ANY Honda or Acura (in fact, I barely noticed them). A boosted one might eventually have caught me, but never, ever off the line. In addition, the power delivery of the M3 was so spectacular that the car felt vastly more powerful than my RSX, even though my hp/weight ratio is probably about the same. Also, the M3 was rock solid and composed at all speeds, as no RSX will ever be.

Now I am on the other side and have a RSX. The other night I had an encounter with an E36 M3, and it was definitely a contest. We ran out of road, but he at the very least learned that RSXs are pretty fast. Yet, in order to do so I had to plan my gearshifts very carefully and always be at just the right rpm range. All the bimmer dude had to do was step on it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.