Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After three months of waiting, i finally ordered my SC today. Now, I need guages, which two or three do i need????? I'm thinking boost, and maybe air fuel ratio. what does everyone else have???

·
6,734 Posts
Keep your car a sleeper. Don't put those guages on the "A" pillar. You know how much boost. 4.8psi. If you are going to be running the street kit or race you won't be running lean because the ECU handles all of that. You don't really need guages. But, if you want them, then do, oil temp, oil pressure, and a/f ratio.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Boost guage can also be a good guage to have..Significant changes in vacuum can signal a problem w/the setup, such as a vacuum leak or idle bypass problem..

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
If you have a car that is turbocharged and supercharged, why wouldn't you want a boost gauge? That and the A/F gauge are probably the two most important ones.

·
Master of Auto Talk
1,260 Posts
jmp9982 said:
After three months of waiting, i finally ordered my SC today. Now, I need guages, which two or three do i need????? I'm thinking boost, and maybe air fuel ratio. what does everyone else have???
KEEP an eye on your charger! Yes we do know that we should always be running at the same PSI, but how do you know whats going on under your hood while your driving on the highway? My point is, the gauges act as safety gauges for the charger. They will let you know if something suddely goes wrong. For some wierd reasson, you suddenly run completely lean. THATS NOT GOOD! If you don't have a gauge showing that, how would you know (until you hear your motor blow) I was told that the two gauges you SHOULD have are a boost gauage (make sure your getting all the power you should be getting) and an Air/Fuel gauge (to keep an eye on your lean/richness) Hope that helps ;)

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
On topic...I'm not arguing your point, but why aren't A/F gauges accurate? I guess the better question is what would it take to make a A/F gauge more accurate. I guess I would want four...A/F, boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure, and oil temp is also handy.

Off topic... Chris, why can't we have the kick ass smiley in your sig???

·
Internet Crack Dealer
34,438 Posts
I am not sure why, something having to do with the voltage of the O2 sensor and a guages inablity to read it. I have only been told that they are just flashing lights and often not a good indication, but I don't have anything solid to back it up. The person that told me is the only one I trust to work on my car but me, for what that is worth.

That one is special to me. :)

·
Registered
340 Posts
Sacrifice said:
On topic...I'm not arguing your point, but why aren't A/F gauges accurate? I guess the better question is what would it take to make a A/F gauge more accurate. I guess I would want four...A/F, boost, fuel pressure, oil pressure, and oil temp is also handy.

Off topic... Chris, why can't we have the kick ass smiley in your sig???

Basic A/F guages such as Autometer just read voltage coming from your ECU to give you an A/F reading..Because your ECU is constantly making changes to ensure you are at a proper A/F ratio, this voltage fluctuates constantly, making the readings not as accurate..

You should look into a wideband O2 sensor if you are looking for a tunable and accurate A/F reading..They employ their own O2 sensor, therefore making it a much more solid reading since there are no adjustments being made through the sensor, just monitoring..

AEM makes a pretty affordable wideband setup: AEM UEGO AFR ..check it out..

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for everyone's help, i think i'm going go with just air/fuel ratio and boost in the A-pillar and a fuel pressure guage under the hood.

·
6,734 Posts
Well, I use the Nology OBDII Scan Tool for my guages. I monitor Intake Air Temp, Coolant, real time RPM, Intake Manifold Pressure, O2 sensor voltages (front and back), absolute throttle position, and numerous others. Manifold pressure is my boost, O2 sensor voltage is my A/F, you just need to know how to convert the readings to PSI and Lean/Stoich/Rich readings.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
let's race! :driving:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm up for it zotex, odds are your car is going to break half way down the street anyway.......How's that stage 3 coming? I decided to go with the JRSC just to make my car fun all around. I'll just use my bike for racing... Still wanna race?????????

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
jmp9982 said:
I'm up for it zotex, odds are your car is going to break half way down the street anyway.......
:thumbsdow it's been doing very well lately. :tonguegri
jmp9982 said:
How's that stage 3 coming? I decided to go with the JRSC just to make my car fun all around. I'll just use my bike for racing... Still wanna race?????????
Everything is in the car. I did it this past week. I wouldn't mind trying a bike. :laughing: We can meet up when it's broken in.

·
Registered
16,758 Posts
K20A2 said:
The best to get are boost and exhaust gas temp. You could do oil pressure or fuel pressure as well but they are not as important.

where did you buy it from?
K20A2 said:
Just to let you guys know, A/F gauges are not that accurate. It is much better to use a fuel pressure gauge, that will be much more accurate.
Don't you mean a pyrometer? (egt) :laughing: ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts