Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing the JRSC soon and was wondering if anyone recomends installing it them selves. I would be doing it with the help of a friend and looking over the directions it doesnt seem that hard. We both have some experience with our cars and can read and follow directions to the tee. If you recomend getting it done at a shop can you let me know which ones? I live in southern Cali near newport beach. Thanks guys! :wavey:

·
Registered
410 Posts
Me and a couple of my friends did it ourselves about two weeks ago, 16 hours later, it was done. If you know a good bit about cars, it can be done. Just make sure you have all the possible tools you'll need, that will help alot. Also, a haynes manual is extremely useful. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Where can I order that manual?

·
7 yrs?!?
2,284 Posts
There is both Haynes and Helms but I would go for Helms because they r a lot more in depth with parts removal/installation.
Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes install it yourself it isn't that hard.... Just take your time and an extra set of hands is a must.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many hours do you think it will take? A full two days maybe? like a sat and sunday?

Also if I send my ecu in to get flashed can I drive with the JRSC reflash without having the JRSC installed? I was thinking about getting the flash done during the week that way when the install is done I can drive it around without waiting...

·
twoplustwo
3,172 Posts
alphaSSmale said:
How many hours do you think it will take? A full two days maybe? like a sat and sunday?

Also if I send my ecu in to get flashed can I drive with the JRSC reflash without having the JRSC installed? I was thinking about getting the flash done during the week that way when the install is done I can drive it around without waiting...

Good Question..... I'm in the same boat and was wondering that exact same thing...

·
Registered
335 Posts
alphaSSmale said:

won't take that long, just take your time, have fun with it.

I'm almost sure you can drive the car without the charger cuz when you're not on it it bypasses the boost pressure anyways so you're only runnin at 14 'n change psi anyways. Only question is will the bypass be open throughout the rev range if not wot or is there a point where it will close regardless of TP. If it reads closed on the ECU then you get the extra fuel but the mass air flow might be goin crazy cuz it's not seein the air the ecu wants to see and a CEL might be your reward.

e mail JR or Hondata and find out first before you run all CEL'd and rich rich rich'd out. :D

·
6,734 Posts
Personally, I would not put a JRSC'ed flashed ECU in your car. You will dump way more fuel than the spark could ignite. You will be asking for problems if you do this. Just wait until all the pieces are in place.

·
Registered
335 Posts
wdsonny said:
Personally, I would not put a JRSC'ed flashed ECU in your car. You will dump way more fuel than the spark could ignite. You will be asking for problems if you do this. Just wait until all the pieces are in place.

isn't there a bypass on the charger? for fuel economy and driveability?

does the ecu have a boost point where fuel dumps regardless of TP?

:dontknow:

·
6,734 Posts
There is. But you can "engage" boost just as easily with or without the SC. I have noticed that boost will start around 30% throttle. I would just wait until the charger is in the car. Be safe and don't destroy your engine.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thats true, better safe then sorry... I think i can not drive my car for a couple of days :nervous:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey sonny, do you have anymore pics of the sc installed in your car?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
one more question, does anyone know if the JR Race headers will bolt onto the stock cat? And will the JR Test pipe bolt on the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
so you can only use the headers with the test pipe?

·
Registered
335 Posts
wdsonny said:
There is. But you can "engage" boost just as easily with or without the SC. I have noticed that boost will start around 30% throttle. I would just wait until the charger is in the car. Be safe and don't destroy your engine.
wow 30% damn that's low, guess no ecu without charger for him :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts