Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Master of Auto Talk
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious to see what are some of the costs to upgrade the JRSC. I know what the upgrades are, and what to do to get them, but am curious to see how the two versions compare to upgrade in costs.

Lets say you start off with JUST the street version, then upgrade to the race.

By contacting mossperformance, you get larger fuel injectors and a box to have your ECU flashed by Hondata for $.........?
What kind of upgrade cost are we looking here? A cost of what, maybe 1,200-1,400?

Now, lets say you want to upgrade to the Race version 2.
So now it costs $995 for Hondata's new programmable ECU
Then you'll need even LARGER fuel injectors, different fuel pump, and will probably want to get different pullys and belts. Then an hour or so to dyno tune to map it all out.

Can this all be achieved for say..... under 1,800? I'm just throwing out numbers here. Anyone have a closer guess?

Can anyone who has gone STRAIGHT from the street to the race give some insight? What did this cost ya? (meaning not having a flash from Hondata to begin with)

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Make your own race upgrade.

Get 550cc injectors from CLubRSX ($404), programable ECU ($995), map sensor relocation block from JR($160), then the ugraded pulley and new belt($300-$400).

The race upgrade is $1000 and comes with 440cc injectors, map sensor block and Hondata reprogram. You will save $400 if you build your own.

·
Registered
932 Posts
So the way to go if your eventually going for more HP then what the correct race kit produces is the street kit. Because if you end up buying the race kit and what to upgrade later not only did you just waste $600 for the Hondata and $400 for injectors but your going to have to spend another $900 for the programmable one and another $400 for new injectors if needed.

Race Kit $3900
New Pulleys $400-500
New Ecu $900
New Injectors $500
Paying $5750 for a JRSC BANKRUPT

This is a good debate why doesn't the race kit come already with the programmable ecu if JR is already making plans for upgrade.

Spending all that money is not my idea of a good plan. SORRY

·
207 Posts
Thanks for discussing because I am trying to decide which way to go...Turbo or SC. I'm trying to weigh out all sides..price, performance, HP, installation, maintenance, upgrades, etc. I can't decide.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
What is the ultimate goal of your car?? That's the deciding factor. If you wanna drag race, go turbo. If you wanna Auto-X or just want a bad-ass daily driver, go supercharger. There are pro's and con's to both, so it ultimately comes down to what you wanna do with the car, what is your ultimate goal.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
SleeperRSX said:

This is a good debate why doesn't the race kit come already with the programmable ecu if JR is already making plans for upgrade.

Not everyone needs the programmable ECU. The MAJORITY(who they sell to) don't need it and want a nice little package. JR has sold over 200 superchargers for the RSX, yet how many are on this board?? I've counted 5. You mean to tell me the JR should cater to the 5 of us instead of the over 200 others, good luck. That's why I offered my cheaper alternative whenever asked. I did my homework before I made my purchase. Package deals aren't always the best for EVERYONE, just the majority and that's where the profit is.

·
207 Posts
Not sure...I guess I want a "weekend ass kicking machine". I thought I wanted a SC but my friend has a turbo and I love the sound it makes with the BOV. But then again he is always F-ing with it where I can barely change my oil. Also my money is a little tight due to buying a house recently. I was thinking about the greddy kit but it looks like a cheaply built kit that does not come with eveything I need or want. If you could do it again would you stay SC or go Turbo?

·
Registered
932 Posts
I guess your right Steve. But this topic hasn't come up because the upgrades are not available. I'm asking that question because there were a couple people asking if there would be upgrades with more hp later on. And the rep from JR said yes. But the conversation ended at that. So if they are that means everyone that want an upgrade eventually is going to be asking the question I've asked. I'm on the same boat as Savage I just want to get to work faster. I just thought some people would be interested to see if they would have to spend $1000 every time they want to upgrade.

·
Master of Auto Talk
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
SC! Not even thinking twice. CN makes some great power, but is somewhat on the ghetto rigged side. Greddy, I’m not even starting.

Having the street version, I now have two (or three) great options what I want to do with my car. 1. Race upgrade, then not have to worry about buying more parts or dyno testing. 2. Wait for the programmable version and go all out for max power. 3. Keep the street version, and spray, but you can tell how i feel about that in my sig.

IF anything, I may have reconsidered the Toda Kit,(due to the new upgrade)
but I don't like the fact that you NEED to have a race header to get close to the dyno numbers.
Honestly, the JRSC is what the RSX needed. It feels solid, like it should have come from the factory with it. After having this kit, I don't know how i had so much fun in it (although I do remember the BIG BANGS at VTEC:D

·
Master of Auto Talk
1,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nah, it really doesn't need them. But once you treat yourself with a F/I application, you might as well get them. It is a good idea to keep an eye on your boost levels to make sure there isn't a leak. Also a a/f gauge to make sure your not running lean during WOT

·
Gothic Hippie RSX tuner?
1,495 Posts
Everybody talking about the programmable- remember that you have to then pay dyno time to tune this thing. That very well could be that other 400 bucks that you're going to save.

OT- "Babies use bottles, real men get BLOWN!"....that's funny shit.

·
parts selling freak
1,409 Posts
thats right, you have to dyno but the ecu is suspose to come with "base maps"
so i look at it like this, your getting a tuned hondata ecu w/ the benifits of a apexi v-afcII and complete control of your ecu, that sounds kewl to me!!! i think its well worth it.. seems like it would be big power gains.
also to savage, dont rely on the sound of the charger kits, ive noticed a lot of people say they love the sound of this one or that one, please dont take that in consideration.
my .02 :thumbsup:

·
207 Posts
Whitson01, I know that isn't the reason why I should buy the charger. I'm sorta looking for the best price vs. performance. I'm also looking for something I can gradually work into, like starting with the JRSC street and then adding on. Does anyone have dyno #'s for the street or race kit. Also, what kind of numbers are being seen with the Greddy Turbo kit?

·
ECU Tuner
4,281 Posts
Steve Lloyd said:
...JR has sold over 200 superchargers for the RSX, yet how many are on this board?? I've counted 5."
Steve, it could be six... I had 4 grand burning in my pocket and was just a couple of simple answers away from placing my order. Sadly, Jackson saw fit to never answer any of my emails. Everyone else did, so the money went elsewhere. I still want the JRSC badly, but I really hate it when a company that sells pretty expensive stuff, and stuff that can affect an even more expensive investment (your RSX), is so totally unresponsive.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Email is not the best way to reach Jackson Racing..If they do reply, they usually want you to call them..Do call them, they are very friendly and interested in you getting everything you need for your setup to work properly..

As far as quality and installation, I've installed quite a few JR superchargers and have owned one myself (previous car)..I just installed one on a Type S this past weekend..the Type S kit is very high quality(which is all I have ever seen from JR), and is a very nice install on the car..They truly do make a great system that runs very reliably..

And don't be so quick to down the hp numbers on the JR, 250 at the wheels on 5psi for the RACE kit is not bad..Try looking into the Endyne website for those of you who want large power numbers..they have nice build-up services to re-machine the blower for better tolerances to handle high amounts of boost..their website is a little outdated, but still has some great info for those of you interested in roots blowers:
www.theoldone.com

Happy Boosting :thumbsup:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts