Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1863773817

The seller told me that it should fit the BASE with no problem. But since it's 2.5" do you think it's a good idea to put it on the BASE? I know you have done some piping work for your 02 Si which is almost like a BASE. Give me some feed back people. Would I lose power with this piece? I don't have access to a dyno and I can't afford to just buy it and do a product test for you guys. It's a hard decision.

·
Banned
3,328 Posts
I put the comptech exhaust on my base, and it has a bigger 2.5" pipe. I haven't noticed any low-end difference, but there is a pretty noticable increase in power from mid-high end. Also I just recently added an AEM CAI to replace my Injen SRI. OMG when the second intake runners opens fully after 5200rpm, the engine sounds so badass. I feel like a freaking accelerating through traffic. Everyone turns and looks at me.

·
Registered
576 Posts
well firstly a pipe that fits the Type S most likely will not fit the base model, the difference is in the cat converter length and attachment.

From my testing, going from a 2.25" mid pipe to a 2.5" midpipe resulted in zero gains on the top end, and a loss of torque on the bottom end. Needless to say I am going to a smaller mid pipe when I get a chance, gonna ditch the 2.5".

What muffler are you going to run with the mid-pipe ?., I assume the stock muffler?. If you plan on keeping the stock muffler (like I am doing on my Civic) I don't see any reason why we would need a mid pipe larger than 2" mandrel bent. The piping on the muffler is 2 inches, and the exit hole on the rear of the cat is 1.8 inches approx. , thus a midpipe larger than 2" really wont flow any better, I see no reason why a 2.5" midpipe would work on our setups.

p.s. - I did a dyno run this weekend with the 2.5" midpipe and no muffler, and did not gain anything, it actually seemed to lose a bit in some areas. Looks like the stock muffler on my car flows pretty well. I'm probably going to go with a 2 inch midpipe mandrel bent on my next attempt. hth.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for the info. I was going to go with a Thermal R/D universal muffler. But after reading your comment I guess that midpipe that I posted wouldn't help if not harm my performance. The muffler for the BASE and the 02 Si is different. The Si has 2 outlet per muffler and the BASE only have one outlet per muffler.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.