Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, could you let me know what you think of this deal?

Getting my license at the end of march, been practicing for about a month on a buddy's cbr600f2, and i finally found one i like. i know its a 600, but still, i really do not want a 250. i know i need more experience, but i will try my best to not get out of control. i have a jacket and gloves already from joe rocket, HJC helmet on the way.

1996 Honda CBR600F3 Clean state title with just about 14,000 on the clock. It was dropped, the front brake handle broke, but its going to a professional shop for repair.

$2500...good deal? (pic before it was dropped on the right side)

thanks in advance:wavey:

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
If its an ego thing about the 250 but you still really want to ride, you still have many other options available.

SV650/s
Kawi 650
Ninja 500

All would be better, although the bike you posted is better than a more modern supersport.

Not sure about the f3, but I think current gen f4i/600rr are due for a valve check and adjustment at around 12k miles. Has that been done? If not, you might want to negotiate that into your bargaining, as a valve check/adjust at a shop could be more pricey than you would think.

Any of the f series are great bikes all around. As long as that bike has been taken care of with regular maintenance, it should be a fine bike.

·
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yea haha tank bra will be off when i get it, but i was just making sure. he said the front brake lever broke, so im assuming its an easy fix

how much do you guys think these valve checks go for? anyone have a ballpark estimate?

and its not an ego issue, its just, i rode a 250 around a little bit, but i really did not like how the bike sat and how i sat in it.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
yea haha tank bra will be off when i get it, but i was just making sure. he said the front brake lever broke, so im assuming its an easy fix

how much do you guys think these valve checks go for? anyone have a ballpark estimate?

and its not an ego issue, its just, i rode a 250 around a little bit, but i really did not like how the bike sat and how i sat in it.
you will miss the sit up position of the 250 when you get a more racier bike. I think the f3 isn't bad though.

·
7,587 Posts
Yeah, I miss being able to flat foot the old buell and actually having some bend in my knees, that way I could stand up and adjust my pants or jacket or whatever.

on the zuki, even when flatfooted, the bike is still jammed up my crotch :(

·
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
just talked to the guy again, brought it down to $2400, only thing is the front brake handle is broken, everything else is fine. i dont want to pay him to fix it either, i am going to put it on myself.

he lives about 5 mins from me, so i dunno how i am bringing it back. maybe on someones truck or something.

ill have it by next wednesday :D and insurance on progressive is pretty good.

·
Halolcat Crew
10,906 Posts
just talked to the guy again, brought it down to $2400, only thing is the front brake handle is broken, everything else is fine. i dont want to pay him to fix it either, i am going to put it on myself.

he lives about 5 mins from me, so i dunno how i am bringing it back. maybe on someones truck or something.

ill have it by next wednesday :D and insurance on progressive is pretty good.
definitely check state farm.

I was doing 600 for 6 months on a 250!!!! with progressive. W/statefarm, it was like, 100 for 6 months.

Front lever shouldn't be too hard to replace.

In regards to the valve check, normally it can run a couple hundred at the dealer....

·
9,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked about the valves, he said everything and the carbs are all clean. I have known this guy for 5 years, all throughout highschool, so he seems legit. but i can never be too sure.

as for the insurance, i got a quote for $235/year with liability on bike and $2500 worth of medical per person. not bad? i still have to shop around

thanks for the advice ironchef! it helps

1 - 12 of 12 Posts