Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
On a mission from God
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey...04...SS <too much traffic for manuel, I'm lazy!>...NBP, and just a great, great car IMO. Sure, maybe not the fastest but compared to the 01 Civic I traded in for it, i feel quite a bit more power, esp off the line. Couple of questions...

1-A guy at work with a 2000 Hyundai Elantra :) swears he can take me. He says the base only puts 112whp. I think hes full of it..who's right? Could I take him?

2-I live in S Fla <Coral Springs for anyone who knows the area>, and it's friggin hot out like every day...80's now, soon 90's. Any point in buying a CAI? I had an AEM SRI on my Civic and it sucked, just sounded nice. So basically i'm trying to decide between a CAI and the V2, leaning toward V2. I'd like to hear opinions though, and yes i have searched :)

Great forum you guys have...i loved 7thGenCivic, thank god i found an RSX forum of equal quality!
 

·
baby buffett
Joined
·
13,382 Posts
the base puts about 130-135 to the wheels, he is full of it. Don't buy a CAI or a V2, theres really no reason to mod the K20A3. Put that money together and buy H.I.D.s, JDM headlamps/black them out yourself, maybe a lip kit. If you want to race you should have gone with the Type S. If you're set on a intake, I would go with the CAI, the V2 is a fancy SRI.
 

·
I Heart Kelly Clarkson
Joined
·
232 Posts
First off, welcome to the RSX forums and more importantly, congrats on the new car! :thumbsup:

As for your questions, I will try to answer to the best of my knowledge but I'm sure there's a couple of other more knowledgeable people that will chime in.

1. I believe that you would beat your co-worker at a race. Several baseline dyno's have showed that the 5-speed RSX makes 130-135 whp. I'm not exactly sure what the SS makes but I'd imagine it to be 120-125 whp?

2. An intake is hands-down the best first mod (well... after redouts). From what I've heard, there is a pretty big difference in the stock airbox and a CAI and I strongly believe that you will not regret buying a CAI. As for the V2, I would personally only get it if you are worried about hydrolocking or you don't want to cut into the splash guard/fender. In my eyes CAI = V2, because there are so many advantages and disadvantages to each. Whatever your choice may be, good luck!

Once again, welcome to the community! :wavey:
 

·
On a mission from God
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't want to race per se...If I did I would've gotten the typeS as was said...too much rush hour traffic when i drive anyway :( But the fact that he was bragging that a freaking Hyundai was as good as an RSX and that we had the same WHP...well, kinda got to me a bit. And its nice to know you can make some ricers in Civ, Sentras etc look bad :)

Comming from a Civic though, and I loved my Civic, to an RSX I feel quite a bit more power, screw what anyone says, and the interior is just so so so much more impressive!

For the intake...well, yeah, i do really want one, probably V2 I think because of the ease of installation and maintence compared to CAI. SRI, no way :)

And thanks for the welcome...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
Jericho73 said:
2-I live in S Fla <Coral Springs for anyone who knows the area>, and it's friggin hot out like every day...80's now, soon 90's. Any point in buying a CAI? I had an AEM SRI on my Civic and it sucked, just sounded nice. So basically i'm trying to decide between a CAI and the V2, leaning toward V2. I'd like to hear opinions though, and yes i have searched :)
Congrats,

Alot of RSX people live in Coral Springs. I hang out with a few of them at the track and RSX meet. ApexiTypeS,DC5,MissRSX-S their all from TeamDC5. Check out the FLORIDA FORUMS.

Dont get the V2 its not a CAI, its a Short Ram, so heatsoak will still affect the performance of your car, if your getting an intake AEM CAI is the way to go. I had it in my auto before and u can feel the difference.
 

·
boosted
Joined
·
911 Posts
You will spank the Elantra. Your civic could spank the Elantra. If he has a GT 5 speed it will be a closer race.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,546 Posts
http://www.hondata.com/kseriesairboxmod.html

Do that mod and you'll gain 3 whp for free. The SS RSX puts down about 125 whp. The Manual RSX is around 136, the Type S is 167whp. Just FYI.

If you want to mod your car for performance, I'd suggest not fooling around and simply dropping a K24 engine in, it will bolt right up to the automatic transmission if I'm not mistaken. It's the engine that's in the TSX. Then you'll have more power than a Type S and only slightly lower gas mileage than you currently get with the SS RSX, all still with your automatic transmission. About $7,000 for the engine.

Or you could waste your money on a CAI, Hondata, header, exhaust, and spend $2,300 for about 15whp total.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
James S are you sh*tting me with the K24 engine swap ? lol bro I can beat a TSX stock. Same amount of Crank HP as the K20A2 only difference is Torq. and where would he get that kind of money to buy a K24 motor. Turbo the sh*t if u can buy a new motor, if u dont N20 ! ! ! best bang for your buck !
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,436 Posts
Jericho73 said:
Hey...04...SS <too much traffic for manuel, I'm lazy!>...NBP, and just a great, great car IMO. Sure, maybe not the fastest but compared to the 01 Civic I traded in for it, i feel quite a bit more power, esp off the line. Couple of questions...

1-A guy at work with a 2000 Hyundai Elantra :) swears he can take me. He says the base only puts 112whp. I think hes full of it..who's right? Could I take him?

2-I live in S Fla <Coral Springs for anyone who knows the area>, and it's friggin hot out like every day...80's now, soon 90's. Any point in buying a CAI? I had an AEM SRI on my Civic and it sucked, just sounded nice. So basically i'm trying to decide between a CAI and the V2, leaning toward V2. I'd like to hear opinions though, and yes i have searched :)

Great forum you guys have...i loved 7thGenCivic, thank god i found an RSX forum of equal quality!
Congrats, mang! Welcome to www.clubrsx.com. Hope you enjoy your stay. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,883 Posts
SaCH-420 said:
the base puts about 130-135 to the wheels, he is full of it. Don't buy a CAI or a V2, theres really no reason to mod the K20A3. Put that money together and buy H.I.D.s, JDM headlamps/black them out yourself, maybe a lip kit. If you want to race you should have gone with the Type S. If you're set on a intake, I would go with the CAI, the V2 is a fancy SRI.

sach 420- no point in modding the base huh? you wanna run my base? noOb. wait till i get a race header, with 2.36" exhaust, 6 speed tranny, and new clutch and flywheel. if someone wants to put there money on performance parts then let them... its their money. i own Type S's everywhere, stock to lightly modified.... so dont even come here and say theres no reason to mod the A3. the reason to mod it is because it would make the owner happy. not to satisfy you with your HID and black outs. :thumbsdow i dont have problems with very many people on this forum if any at all. but you and your retarded comments just got yourself on my bad list

go with a cold air intake, INJEN or AEM or DC sports. they are all pretty equal in performance. i used to live in daytona beach florida, and i had an AEM SRI on my rsx as my very first mod. it didnt do shit. it only worked well when it was night time and it was cooler out. but during the day... forget it. bogs and the car acctually seemed slower. then i switch to an AEM CAI, and the difference was like night and day. i didnt expect to feel such a big gain from the CAI. i will never go back to a shorty intake again.

Good luck
Nick
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
307 Posts
speaking of swaping out trannies, how much would it cost to drop in the type-s 6sp, im tired of my automatic, wish i never got it in the first place!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,098 Posts
SaCH-420 said:
the base puts about 130-135 to the wheels, he is full of it. Don't buy a CAI or a V2, theres really no reason to mod the K20A3.
Wow, some people never learn. I guarantee that a few Base RSX's could kick your ass. :spam:

Congrats on the new car! I hope you enjoy it.
 

·
On a mission from God
Joined
·
5,647 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the advice from everyone...I realize the potential in the base might not be huge, but it is there...I almost bought a GTI 1.8T but decided on RSX because I saw more potential with a non-stock turboed engine. Whell that and really the RSX interior is much nicer. All show and no go just isn't for me...heck if I wanted that i woulda stuck with my Slowvic. I'm gonna go with an intake first, prolly V2 cause it rains alot here and alot of puddles, then a catback and headers, then a drop. Maybe a lip kit but nothing big.

Anyway thanks for the welcomes....one more question...I have less then 200 miles, do i have to wait till engine break-in to slap the intake on?

And just ordered the clubrsx license frame/sticker...woohoo 5whp!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
zach12985 said:
speaking of swaping out trannies, how much would it cost to drop in the type-s 6sp, im tired of my automatic, wish i never got it in the first place!
tranny changes usually cost about 5g. If I had that money I would trade in the car and just get a MT tran.
 

·
VS. Godzilla
Joined
·
2,220 Posts
Spent198 said:
Wow, some people never learn. I guarantee that a few Base RSX's could kick your ass. :spam:

Congrats on the new car! I hope you enjoy it.
Yup, I beaten two before. That was before my CAI. I dunno about my current state of mods, I feel that it should be a little faster if I floor it all the time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,814 Posts
Jericho73 said:
I'm gonna go with an intake first, prolly V2 cause it rains alot here and alot of puddles
If you got your mind set on the V2, then I cant change it but u will realize that the heatsoak will eventually kill your car. Since their is no heatshield, dont listen to that marketing BS, V2 is a short ram concept with a big pipe.

If you wanna avoid cold air, try the neuspeed p-flo intake it covers the intake from the heat the engine produce.

Neuspeed Intake Installed
Neuspeed Intake Uninstalled

Let me know if your interested I have one for sale. It can fit your Base motor.
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top