Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Yall! Just installed my DC shorty header and Greddy EVO 2....Purrs like a pussycat! Now my C.E.L. is on. Went to Autozone to get free OBD diagnosis and came up with codes P1166 and P1167. The worker there also brought to my attention that after revving while in neutral, the RPMs would drop well below 1000 RPMs close to 0 and that the cabin light would go a little dim. On the sticky provided on this forum P1166 and P1167 translate to:

P1166 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater System Electrical Problem
P1166 Heated Oxgen Sensor Sensor1 (Primary HO2S) Heater Circuit Malfunction
P1167 Air/Fuel Ratio (A/F) Sensor (Sensor 1) Heater System Malfunction
P1167 Heated Oxygen Sensor Sensor1 (Primary LAF HO2S) Heater System Malfunction

Is the sensor they are referring to the primary sensor connected to the catalytic converter? Please help a noob out peoples. Some suggestions or solutions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!:drink:

·
Registered
433 Posts
i have no idea how to fix your messed up CEL's but now all you need is a Megan Racing test pipe

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
Yes its your Primary O2 sensor...and maybe your secondary...so

its the one closest to the header (primary)... and secondary is closest to the back of the car

Make sure the connection is solid...if it is

Reset ECU Clear Codes ETC

and see is the CEL comes back...if it does

then you need a new Primary o2 Sensor and maybe secondary (however, its possible your cat is screwed but i doubt it)

the best place to buy it is www.sparkplugs.com with a discount code :dodgetalk:

for about 168 shipped to your door....from acura they are almost 300 bucks

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
did the cell come on right away? if so you might have fucked up your primary o2.. time to put on the stock header back on and take a trip to Acura

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
did the cell come on right away? if so you might have fucked up your primary o2.. time to put on the stock header back on and take a trip to Acura
Why would he need a trip to acura? this is an easy fix

a simple search woulda solved this problem

but no 1 searches ne more

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Why would he need a trip to acura? this is an easy fix

a simple search woulda solved this problem

but no 1 searches ne more
wtf are you talking about? simple search for what? if he screwed up the primary o2 sensor he needs to put the stock header back on and take it to Acura to get fixed under warranty.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes its your Primary O2 sensor...and maybe your secondary...so

its the one closest to the header (primary)... and secondary is closest to the back of the car

Make sure the connection is solid...if it is

Reset ECU Clear Codes ETC

and see is the CEL comes back...if it does

then you need a new Primary o2 Sensor and maybe secondary (however, its possible your cat is screwed but i doubt it)

the best place to buy it is www.sparkplugs.com with a discount code :dodgetalk:

for about 168 shipped to your door....from acura they are almost 300 bucks
Thanks JPSlick! I haven't checked my primary 02 sensor. I will do this and tell you guys if i solved the issue. I know my friend who installed my header and cat back had a hard time unscrewing the fucking OEM bolts(man OEM bolts are a bitch to get off without power tools) connected to the cat so he might have bumped the sensors out of place. I will lift it up and make sure the sensors are tight. FYI I did search and decided to take to autozone cuz thats the only way to make sure from the threads i've read....i just needed to make sure cuz i wasn't familiar with the termanology in the definition of the OBDII code.

xman03 - I would take to stealership but warranty long gone.

drumnatural - You're right i do need to man up and get a RH, but i don't track and just want better performance. I have found that modding is addicting and will lead you to keep on keeping on. I just need some TEIN SS's, Exedy Stage 2, and an ITR flywheel and i will be satisfied.....at least until i get the urge to spend more money lol.

Thanks Yall! This noob is greatful for yalls input. I will letchu guys know what happens. :beerchug:

·
Ba*G Bro's INC Since 1986
715 Posts
I just fix this problem on my friends rsx type s. It came right on when he installed his dcrh. We throught it was the secondary o2 like alot of people on here claimed but it turned out to be the primary o2. I am almost 99% sure its the primary o2.

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
wtf are you talking about? simple search for what? if he screwed up the primary o2 sensor he needs to put the stock header back on and take it to Acura to get fixed under warranty.
ive been through several 02 sensors...trust me

i know whats going on :bow:

ive posted in a DOZEN threads about o2 sensors...thats why i said the SEARCH might help him

By no accident...these are very sensitive (o2 sensors)
a simple slam by accident messes these things up....

im not suprised when just installing and uninstalling it shits the bed...they tend to do that a lot

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK. Checked today, sensors are all snug, wires in good shape, and harness connected. I even took out ECU fuse in hopes of resetting, C.E.L. still comes on. I only have like 50K on my baby, do I need a new primary sensor? Are they that sensitive that a slight bump can damage them? Should I unscrew the sensor out and reinstall to ensure snugness? I still have the issue of my RPM dropping way below 1 and then coming back up to like .8 or .9 too. Is this a direct correlation to the primary sensor issue? Thanks for helping me out guys! :drink:

·
Ba*G Bro's INC Since 1986
715 Posts
I have replaced a couple o2 sensors with my friends and let me tell you, they are very sensitive like JPSlick saids. I mean, slight tap to something hard like the ground and your 200$ out immediately. Sorry bro, but it looks like your last and only solution is for a new primary o2 sensor.

Reactions: supasain777

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
ive been through several 02 sensors...trust me

i know whats going on :bow:

ive posted in a DOZEN threads about o2 sensors...thats why i said the SEARCH might help him

By no accident...these are very sensitive (o2 sensors)
a simple slam by accident messes these things up....

im not suprised when just installing and uninstalling it shits the bed...they tend to do that a lot
OK. Checked today, sensors are all snug, wires in good shape, and harness connected. I even took out ECU fuse in hopes of resetting, C.E.L. still comes on. I only have like 50K on my baby, do I need a new primary sensor? Are they that sensitive that a slight bump can damage them? Should I unscrew the sensor out and reinstall to ensure snugness? I still have the issue of my RPM dropping way below 1 and then coming back up to like .8 or .9 too. Is this a direct correlation to the primary sensor issue? Thanks for helping me out guys! :drink:
i say change out the 02s... there not that much money and iwll most likely fix the problem

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hmm? Well I'ma try to disconect the prime o2 sensor and re-connect it and see what happens. Guess I am just hoping it will work, and if it doesn't......guess I will have to go buy a new primary o2 sensor! Aaarrgghh!:firemad: Thanks all for the input.

·
d[-_-]b
11,926 Posts
i just put on my test pipe and my thing is doing the same thing. if i take the neg. off th ebattery for while and put it back on. it goes away, then comes right back on within 5 minutes. maybe its the same thing thats happeneing to you?

·
9k FTW
3,196 Posts
put it back to stock header-wise and take it to the stealership. It is law that on a car all emissions devices like cats and o2 sensors are warrantied until 80,000 miles iirc so they have to fix it.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts