Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got the airbox on Friday, and since I was working today I pulled the car into the shop to get the airbox on. Its a really nice piece, and overall fit and finish is excellent. There was some minor trimming of the snorkel so that it would accept the duct, but other than that it fits great. Looks almost stock, too. First impressions are amazing. The car is much more responsive then before. Midrange has improved incredibly considering this is the only mod I have. So far I absolutley love it. And, its quiet as hell, no annoying "intake" sounds like the AEM and all others like it. When i-VTEC switches over, its much more of a difference than before, and the sound is just awesome. Highly recommended.

On a side note, I installed a Top Fuel Power Neo on Wednesday. I removed it today. It sucks. It seemed to have made the car slightly louder, it didnt improve anything even the slightest bit, and actually hurt gas mileage a little. All in all, dont buy it if you were thinking about it. In theory, it works, so I figured Id give it a try...but in reality it sucks. There goes $100.

Mike

·
Registered
749 Posts
:thumbsup: I had the same problem with the snorkel and duct not connecting that good. I installed mine on Thursday. I got away without cutting or modifying any of the stuff. I squeezed the airbox in so that I didn't have to cut the breather hose.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mugen box was $650.

The Power Neo is a magnet that clips over the fuel supply line, before the fuel rail. Its supposed to help with combustion and rearrange the fuel molecules so that they are more organized in thier burning. It doesnt do shit.

I used my dremel on the intake snorkel to remove the lip, and then the duct just slid right over it. Im thinking about making my own duct, however, so that it takes the air straight from the opening in the front bumper.

·
Central PA AMSOIL dealer
5,586 Posts
now do yourself a favor and order a Twin Loop catback. The combo is awesome. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
677 Posts
You have got to be a total moron to order a $650 Mugen intake...

I can't wait to join you though!!! There's just something about that thing that says "buy me". :laughing:

·
yawn..
22,903 Posts
heh weeetarded jdm pose

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the compliments, I appreciate it!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Yeah, you suck…between this thread and the one at Honda-Tech, you have me wanting to spend money on the Mugen. Continually seeing these pics are turning me into a wannabe Mugen whore. I gotta get the suspension fist though, then revisit keeping the Injen CAI or getting an Icebox type of intake—the gains in the midrange are just really impressive and I think there’s something to this whole constant pressure thing—at least for daily driving/road course.

·
493 Posts
Z4_LSVTEC said:
Icebox type of intake—the gains in the midrange are just really impressive and I think there’s something to this whole constant pressure thing—at least for daily driving/road course.
You'll be impressed with the improved throttle response because of the "constant pressure" using the Mugen Airbox. I had an AEM CAI and it produces nice high end power but the throttle response was not there at the low and mid. I use my car as a daily driver and am satisfied with using the Mugen over the CAI because of this reason. It all depends what kind of driving you want to do. I haven't had any time to take my car to a road course yet but am planning to within the near future. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Z4_LSVTEC said:
Yeah, you suck…between this thread and the one at Honda-Tech, you have me wanting to spend money on the Mugen. Continually seeing these pics are turning me into a wannabe Mugen whore. I gotta get the suspension fist though, then revisit keeping the Injen CAI or getting an Icebox type of intake—the gains in the midrange are just really impressive and I think there’s something to this whole constant pressure thing—at least for daily driving/road course.

Lol, sorry ;) . Just go for it, man...you'll be happy that you did :thumbsup: . Next up for me is the Mugen SS, then probably the Twin Loop, then....

·
Registered
749 Posts
geez...I just read your thread on honda-tech.com. As expected, lots of haters to this airbox posted. I'm surprise there isn't any on this thread.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Just read the honda-tech responses too, and it wasn't as bad as I thought it was going to be. HA.

Anyway, you've helped make the decision for me "drift" with your line on honda-tech about not being satisfied with anything else. As crazy as it is to spend the $650 on the Mugen, especially since I've had an Icebox on a Civic and it performed, I won't be happy unless I get the Mugen. Thank God I'm making a lot more money now than a few years ago. My "Mugen collection" will continue.

Oh, and "drift", keep us informed on the ecu. I'm trying to decide between the Hondata and, now Mugen, as well. :thumbsup:

Now off to email King and see what's in stock.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again for all the positive responses. I knew over at H-T that there would be a lot of haters, but Ive been around there for a long time and figured Id post it anyway. Im also a little surprised at the lack of haters on this thread, as well, but its ok with me. Ill deff keep updates as I go along, and Im almost set on the Mugen ECU...I just dont know which cat-back to go with as I REALLY want the twin loop, but I have another idea in mind, so...

·
Banned
140 Posts
gotta love mugen! also...thx for the heads up on the TF power neo. however...your username doesn't belong on this forum...fwd honda = no no in driftin at touges...hehe. i saw a japanese video once showing a couple civic hatches, integras, and ftos drifting around a long u-turn at a track...some of them performed it pretty well and one hatch was behind a s13 silvia and was crepping up and had to brake before he hit him 3/4 of the way driftin thru that turn (of course only thru that one turn since fwd can't continue a drift).

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SpOoLiN 1TyM said:
...however...your username doesn't belong on this forum...fwd honda = no no in driftin at touges...
Lol..Ive had this name for a while. And while you cant properly drift a FWD car, you sure as hell can run a touge. Now if I can just find the right AE86...

1 - 20 of 85 Posts