Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To wing it or not to wing it, that was the question. On the one hand, one of the reasons why I did not get an STi was that ridiculously large spoiler. On the other hand, the more I looked at some of the spoiler pics posted here, the more I liked it. So I got one.

Since I already spent a bundle on the car I ordered it from trimking1 via ebay. I didn't have the patience for an auction, so I bought it "Buy it now!" for US$159 plus US$26 shipping. No tax. I paid PayPal and indicated the color in the PayPal email.

The wing was shipped promptly. It took UPS Ground perhaps a week to get the 25 pound package to California.

One it got here I found the wing extremely well packed and protected in plenty of bubble wrap. There was no damage. The paint matched perfectly (nighthawk-black) and the paint job was terrific. Somehow, one of the four screws was missing. Maybe it had rattled itself loose and had gotten lost. I got a replacement at HomeDepot (took a bit as it is a metric screw).

Installation was painless. The RSX has pre-marked hole areas on the underside of the hatch (see pic below). I measured the distance between the holes on the hatch: 3.5 inches. I measured them on the wing: 3.5 inches. I did pilot holes with a 1/8" bit (really hurt to drill those holes into my shiny new car). Then made the full holes with a 1/4 inch bit (5/16th seemed too big). Placed the wing on the car. Oops. One side fit, the other did not. Stupid me had only measured the distance between the holes in the wing on one side, the one where it was 3.5 inches. Turns out the other side it was just 3.0 inches. Boo! So I had to extend the holes a bit. The wing then fit just fine. I used additional locking washers.

I think the wing looks great. I did notice a slight indentation on the upper left side. It wasn't bad enough to send the wing back, and I am probably the only one who will notice it. Driving the car, the wing does eat quite a bit into rearward visibility. Another inch in height would have been better.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bluepearljam said:
looks great. from your avitar, you didn't have the oem spoiler previously? also, how about weight. does the hatch stay up without problems even with the added weight?
No, I didn't have the OEM spoiler. As for weight, though it feels substantial, the spoiler doesn't weigh much. The hatch still stays up without any problems.

PhuMasterFunk said:
With that spoiler u definitly need to red out tailights, but looks good.
Thanks! I am new to body modifications, so forgive me a dumb question: what does it mean to red out taillights? Replacing parts or adding transparent vinyl to make the whole assembly red?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Using red vinyl to cover the turn signal. Some people also do the backup lights or just cover them with a smoked tint.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Rsx-s_Sport said:
looks good....but i've never seen you around sac.....which area are u from?
I'm up in Folsom and my office is in Shingle Springs, but I'm also down in the Laguna/Elk Grove area often. I dynoed my car at Comptech in El Dorado Hills and, for comparison, at Motorsport Dynamics on Arden.

Jedi, thanks for explaining the red-out. I suppose that's a legal mod. With the wing and the Fujitsubo the car already attracts a bit more attention than I had intended. :)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.