Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just lowered my car on Tein S.Tech struts. The moment I left the driveway and got above 15ish mph, I started hearing this sort of metal-to-metal grinding/rubbing noise. Most of the sound seems to be coming from the front passenger side assembly. Then, after driving for awhile, the noise started to dissipate (but is still there). But, once I made LEFT turns, the metal-to-metal grind would come back.

It defintely sounds like a rotational grinding noise, because the car only makes the noise when in motion and never at a dead stop (completely silent at a dead stop), and sounds like something is perhaps rubbing on the brake rotor. I was thinking perhaps the backing plate/cover behind the rotor may be the culprit, but I'm not sure how that may have been bent during the install.

If anyone has any input, please post it up! Remember, this is RIGHT after the install, so I'm pretty sure it's not my brake pads being worn out.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
bump. now i have a LOUD noise coming out of my rear driver side brakes. it makes a LOUD whirring noise when rolling and/or applying the brakes in motion. it sounds like a semi-truck that's coming to a full stop -- those kind of loud whirring noises. at low speeds, the brake also sounds like it's dragging on the rotor.

PLEASE, someone help me out.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
i dont no bro...sounds bad... go back in and redo the whole thing...and be extra careful... also i had similar sounds comming from my stock suspensions and i got it covered under warrenty they said there was a recall because some springs were rubbing against something...so yea... just go back in ... stop driving... and do it over...

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
the noise up front could be from not tightening the center bolt on the strut assembly. If the grinding only happens during the turn, it has to be the spring.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
as far as the rear, i'd have to listen to it. A spring install wouldn't make a whirring noise unless you touched the brakes somewhere.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
as far as the rear, i'd have to listen to it. A spring install wouldn't make a whirring noise unless you touched the brakes somewhere.
i will TRY to make it to the meet in jersey tomorrow, but as of right now, i don't feel safe driving the car from here in long island to jersey with that loud noise right behind me.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
btw if your caliper was siezed, you would have a grinding noise and you would notice difficult acceleration, not a whirring noise. Unless your confusing yourself.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
btw if your caliper was siezed, you would have a grinding noise and you would notice difficult acceleration, not a whirring noise. Unless your confusing yourself.
the car definitely has no difficulty accelerating. in fact, the rear brake noise came AFTER i opened up the car and did a quick shift from 1st to 2nd. then, once i lifted off of the gas and eased on the brake, the rear brake started making that god awful loud semi-truck-like whirring noise.

·
Not Plugged In
15,483 Posts
jack the car up and spin the wheels that make noise as fast as you can. if you hear a sound, it may be a wheel bearing or a worn pad (metal piece scratching on the rotor), etc.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don't get how the bearing may have gotten messed up. plus, usually wheel bearings will make noises at specific speeds .. this noise simply comes and goes at all different speeds, and will KEEP making the noise until i come to a full stop. then it may or may not come back.

·
Crunch time
3,387 Posts
lol who's hosting the meet?

anyway, when's the last time you changed your rear brake pads?
If it sounds like someone's poking your rotors with a metal stick when it's rolling, then it's probably your brake pads. I had similar problem where for some reason, my rear pass. side wheel made this gawd awful metal scraping noise. Turns out something in the brake pads were wrong.

and for your springs, i'm not sure...srry

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.