Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
N/A to go please...
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, major props to Zop for his great customer service and help with this. I had been looking for a good, inexpensive coilover. I was originally planning on getting some Omnis, but the revision just kept taking forever and my stock struts were taking a pounding from my driving style, so I needed another option. I was also really wanting adjustable dampening, as this will primarily be a daily driver, but eventually will see track use. MeganRacing gave me all those options, plus it's good to have a name to product relation. Zop has said he will stand by his product and I believe him. I'm not sure D2, KW, Tein, etc could do the same.

Initial impressions:

Overall, very good. The coils look solid and well made. The tig welds look very good. Included in the box was a warranty card, base description of the individual components of the coils, the coils themselves, and a bag with the height wrenches and hardware you need to install. There was one small problem, which I will address in my next post. I don't think it will be a big issue.

I'd really like to have a go at installing these myself, but I don't have the time, and I'm not sure about the tie rod/ball joint removal. I think I'll leave it to a pro. :) I'll be sure to post some driving impressions after they're installed.

Here are some pics:

Peace

WhiZ

Attachments

·
N/A to go please...
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the one small reservation I have. I've never really liked UPS, and this purchase has not helped my impression of them in the slightest (which is *not* Zop's fault - there was nothing he could have done.)

Anyways, the bottom line is that they tried to deliver them about 5 times, but I'm never home, so they may have caused the slight damage you'll see in the pic - I honestly don't know. One of the lower brackets has a slight paint chip on it (about the size of a thumbnail). It looks like a chrome finish that has flaked off or chipped off. My only concern is rust, as I believe the brackets are made of cast iron. If anybody has any opinions, I'd be glad to hear them. Thanks!

Peace

WhiZ

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
I installed a set last saturday and finally got an alignment today. I didn't order them from zop, but from another source. I heard he was waiting on a new shipment and I didn't want to wait.

Overall, very happy with them so far for the price. Played around with the settings some and am still dialing them in. Install was pretty easy and straight forward, but all coilovers should be about the same in that respect. Currently my ride is pretty decent. Handle well at highway speed, but you can tell that it's lowered when driving on poor streets. Drove around with them set at the hardest settings just to get a feel of it, and it punished my kidneys. But once you dial in softer settings, it's very doable for daily driving. I don't mind it at all.

Build quality was decent, just have to see how they hold up over time. Seem like a good product at a decent price.

·
Registered
36 Posts
WhiZ said:
Here is the one small reservation I have. I've never really liked UPS, and this purchase has not helped my impression of them in the slightest (which is *not* Zop's fault - there was nothing he could have done.) *snip*

WhiZ

I'd compare that one to the other side. Looks like the tab got bent in that the brake sensor line bolts to. Not a big deal, just slowly bend it back out a little bit. Exact same thing happened to mine. You don't need to bend it back out much, just a little. I'd touch up the area with some paint though to keep it from possibly corroding. It won't be visible since the brake line / sensor line will cover most of that area up.

·
Registered
302 Posts
if you have any experience with suspension this install is very easy. no stock parts are used afterwards and its really straightforward. im just tellin ya b/c installing yourself = more money to spend on other mods. I'm guessing that some people may have completely taken off the front rotors, but i was able to get around that by unscrewing the things i needed to and then just throw a jack underneath it when it comes time to cuz that thing isn't easy to move. i only did this because at the time i didn't have a 1 1/2'' socket to get the bolt holding the damn things off. just an idea. hope you enjoy them.

Lee :bow:

·
stop stealing my avatar!
10,884 Posts
WhiZ said:
I'd really like to have a go at installing these myself, but I don't have the time, and I'm not sure about the tie rod/ball joint removal.
so many people complain about using hammers, but honestly, a couple good whacks on the arm and it pops right off. just dont 'hit the tie rod end. there's nothing wrong with doing it that way, and some of the better shops around here do it that way too.

How did you get them to vancouver? what was the total out the door price in CAD?

·
05 Black RSX type S
748 Posts
Please include what u have your dialed setting is to:
Zenith : 17 Front : 25 Rear
Veilside DC5 : 2 Front : 5 Rear
Zop Type S : 5 front : 2 Rear

·
N/A to go please...
3,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
RSX_Lance: I might have a go myself, but time is the issue, and I don't mind spending $100Cdn for somebody else to do it and do it right the first time instead of me floundering around for the better part of a day. I always try and do my own stuff (what better way to learn, right?), but we'll see how it goes, cuz I *really* want these on sooner rather than later with my stock ride being as harsh as it is right now.

Flabarm: PM Zop for pricing.

Abstraction: I appreciate what you're saying. I'm going to see if maybe anyone local who's done this before can help me out. That'll probably help my confidence level with the install. If I'm not building a computer, I'm not a very 'hands-on' guy. :) Zop was kind enough to ship them to Vancouver via UPS for me. PM him for pricing. Personally, I detest UPS and their ridiculous Brokerage fees, but I guess they got here in the end.

Zenith: I haven't dialed them in, but my plan is to go around 8 front 5 rear and see how I like it.

Peace

WhiZ

·
Registered
302 Posts
thats cool man, i understand time is the main issue and thats how it was with me. luckily, i dont know how but between full time school and work i found a day that i could not sleep much and took advantage. :) I probably would have paid someone else to do it but i really did want to learn. I really did learn a lot though by doing the install, it was fun.

Lee :bow:

·
Banned
758 Posts
Zenith said:
Please include what u have your dialed setting is to:
Zenith : 17 Front : 25 Rear
Veilside DC5 : 2 Front : 5 Rear
Zop Type S : 5 front : 2 Rear

that is for my street setting, i play around with it and had at least 10+ different settings.

again, everyone's setting can be different due to different expection of the ride quality and different road condition everywhere.

i did once had them all the way to the hardest front and rear and it was fun at canyon but not good for street.

andrew

·
Banned
758 Posts
nadaclue said:
I installed a set last saturday and finally got an alignment today. I didn't order them from zop, but from another source. I heard he was waiting on a new shipment and I didn't want to wait.

Overall, very happy with them so far for the price. Played around with the settings some and am still dialing them in. Install was pretty easy and straight forward, but all coilovers should be about the same in that respect. Currently my ride is pretty decent. Handle well at highway speed, but you can tell that it's lowered when driving on poor streets. Drove around with them set at the hardest settings just to get a feel of it, and it punished my kidneys. But once you dial in softer settings, it's very doable for daily driving. I don't mind it at all.

Build quality was decent, just have to see how they hold up over time. Seem like a good product at a decent price.

may i ask where or who you order it from?? and pricing? can you pm me with the answer.

thank you in advance

andrew

·
Banned
758 Posts
eric_r_ho said:
Damnit I want these coils so bad, andrew you'll PM me once u get more in stock right? Thanks man, appreciate it

of course i will
just in case, anyone that is interest, please check with me on 4-15-2005, by then even if its not here i should have a better idea of when it will be here.

so that i wont miss out any of people that is still patiently waiting for it.

andrew

·
Walking the fine line
488 Posts
Man those are looking very nice! I have been looking at the Megans since they first came out. Assuming that they perform as well as they look, they definitely represent the best value in coilovers right now.

Like you, my only concern is rust. You know what our roads look like in the winter! I drive 365 days a year and I'm just trying to be realistic about how well I'm going to look after my suspension.

So far, the only coilover that I have found that offers true stainless construction are the KW's, but those are well over 1500 US with the pillows. Unfortunately for me, I just can't justify that.

I was originally going to just throw on some springs and KYBs since I don't think that I *need* height adjustability, but of course the KYBs don't fit. The koni's and springs are way too close the what the Megans cost. God dammit - paralysis by analysis owns me.

WOW

1 - 20 of 53 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.