Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some tips before making a long drive.

1) TOOLS, TOOLS, TOOLS.

My journey started from South Florida and ended up at Chicago Illinois. The trip is roughly 1500miles and it took me about 24hours to complete. I can say that I did push the car quite a bit. When entering the highway after a stop, WOT at 7psi til I hit 80mph and then I'd cruise. I stayed mostly in 6th gear on the highway, and there was no need for me to downshift because 6th gear with boost was quick enough to pass cars. I didn't have any problems until the temperatures rapidly dropped. The guys of cybernation set the Apexi rich so I would'nt run lean in the cold weather. Everything was good until I hit 20degree temperatures which caused the boost to spike. To make a long story short, the bolts that bound the wastegate to the turbo manifold somehow came undone. Luckily there was a semi-truck repair shop in the next exit. I got a hold of some bolts, nuts, wrenches and WALAH, everything was fixed within an hour. I guess the 60-1hifi turbo and cold weather are a lethal combination for a stage I setup. I also have to mention that Cybernation was there in time of need. Good customer service, thanks Chris. The moral of trip, bring tools, bolts, nuts, and electrical tape because anything could happen.

·
Registered
63 Posts
yeah, the bolts for the wastegate and bolts for exhaust manifold always have those problems, either not having good enough heat range (bad quality) or came loose. happened to me once.

·
Traction is for pussies
4,404 Posts
were all the bolts missing? a civic me and my friend built lost 1 of those bolts on the wastegate in normal arizona weather...hasn't happened since...but i don't think that this is anything unusual

·
I Don't Even
9,180 Posts
Bip Bip one question*kinda off topic*...how much did your Stage 1 cost considering it has da 60-1 hifi?Did it ost the same as a normal stage 1? or did it cost more?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mrburner: I was missing one bolt and the other bolt was just dangling without the nut.

redlinedc5: You have to speak with lee or chris about pricing for the turbo.

·
1,232 Posts
I will ask CN to supply me with spare bolts/nuts for my trip back. thx for heads up :thumbsup:

·
You really paid for that?
2,045 Posts
I have never had a problem with the wastegate falling off, but having nuts and bolts come off due to change in temperature is a normal thing. As the bolts change temperature they slowly start to back out. Nothing a little welding cant fix.

Congrats on the turbo!

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
Bip,

How long was the turbo install? Meaning, from time you brought your car in, until the time you were out of the door.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bnice3001 said:
Bip,

How long was the turbo install? Meaning, from time you brought your car in, until the time you were out of the door.
Brought the car in the 18th of December and picked it up the 30th. Call cybernation and make an appointment with them. Make sure you can drop the car off for at least 5 workdays. My car was stalled a bit because the ppl of cybernation took a 5 day vacation.

·
Relish then catch up
1,884 Posts
5 day vacation. Hope that wasn't a suprise. :eek: I wanna go down and wait for it 'till its done.
overall, sounds good though. Thanks

·
ASSISTANT MASTER MECHANIC
2,389 Posts
titiusa said:
I will ask CN to supply me with spare bolts/nuts for my trip back. thx for heads up :thumbsup:
I second this idea.. Imma talk to cleve bout making me a package with new vacume lines, bolts, fuel line just incase shid happens

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hey Bip Bip,

The exact same thing happened to me on the way back from FL to IL. I took like three hours to fix once i got home and also took me two wrenches that I had to destroy by grinding them down with a grinder to be able to get down there to hand tighten them. I just hope it holds.....

·
Registered
110 Posts
After reading these stories, how could anyone want to screw with a turbo? I don't consider needing tools to drive my acura 1500 miles to make any sense. You people have destroyed the dependability of a very dependable car for a second or two in the 1/4 mile.

To each their own, I guess I should actually thank you for making my decision to go toda easier to make.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hey Bip Bip,

The exact same thing happened to me on the way back from FL to IL. I took like three hours to fix once i got home and also took me two wrenches that I had to destroy by grinding them down with a grinder to be able to get down there to hand tighten them. I just hope it holds.....
No shit, I guess there's three ppl on the boards that have experienced this problem. I'm always popping the hood to see if the bolts are tightened.:nervous: I guess then next time I go down to Florida, I'll have cybernation tack down the bolts.

·
ASSISTANT MASTER MECHANIC
2,389 Posts
Onlya4 said:
After reading these stories, how could anyone want to screw with a turbo? I don't consider needing tools to drive my acura 1500 miles to make any sense. You people have destroyed the dependability of a very dependable car for a second or two in the 1/4 mile.

To each their own, I guess I should actually thank you for making my decision to go toda easier to make.
Go ahead go toda.. Just because its not a turbo dont think your problem free....its just that maybe any damage thats going to occur may be even more unfixable then a turbos problem

1 - 20 of 31 Posts