Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

K-Pro problem....hondata please help!

7K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  2010 admin 
#1 ·
I have k-pro for about 3 weeks now. I loaded it on my computer and everything was fine. I datalogged, turned off my second 02 sensor, raised idle and rev limiter. Datalogged a couple times and everything was fine.

Today I plug my laptop into the ecu, and my lap top does not read the ecu. It doesnt allow me to upload or datalog. The lap top just doesnt seem to read the ecu as if it is plugged in.

So I remove the kmanager from my lap top, and remove anything on my computer that was loaded from the hondata cd or anything to do with the k-pro. I load the program again. I put the cd in my lap top, load the kmanager from hondata's website. Check for updates and I load the 1.0.13 kmanager. I plug in the usb to the laptop (it is also plugged into the ecu, the ecu is not plugged into the car). The lapbop reads that something is plugged in. Althouh it does not say "kpro" like it is supposed to (as it shows in the directions that came with the k-pro). I followed the rest of the directions to load the program, and then I get an error.

Here is a picture of the rror that comes up on my screen. I tried hitting ok, and continuing, but the same problem happens with the k-pro. My laptop just doesnt recognize the ecu. It reads that a usb cord is plugged in, just not that it is the k-pro

I tried contacting hondata and you guys just arent answering your phones. PLEASE HELP!!!!

See less See more
#2 ·
Our phones are manned from 9-5 PST.

You need to re-install the USB driver. The procedure for this can be found in KManager help under 'Troubleshooting' -> 'USB Troubleshooting'.

#3 ·
I tried trouble shooting, under device manager>USB, k-pro is not one of the options.

When I call what is your name so that I can just ask for you? My name is reuben.

#4 ·
Hey Reuben-

At first glance it just seems that Windows can't automatically find the right driver using it's wizard. You will probably just have to manually do it.

If your laptop "sees" something plugged in but just doesn't know what it is you should be able to fix it fairly easily. First, if you have uninstalled all the K-Pro software try following the directions from scratch to see if that will allow your laptop to see the ECU.

If reinstalling the USB driver doesn't work after the K-Pro software is re-installed on your machine, connect the ECU and go to
Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Add Hardware

Follow it along and when you are prompted for "Hardware already Connected" say yes and look for "K-Pro" in the list of installed drivers and you should be good. I had to do that the second time I connected, just a Windows thing. If you try the above and still have problems either post back here or PM me and I'll help you out.

Even though you aren't connecting to your ECU correctly, being able to see that something is connected most likely means that it is just a windows issue and not a problem with K-Pro (which is definitely a good thing). Let me know how it goes.

#5 ·
Hi DC5. It looks like you didn't point WindowsXP towards the driver correctly. Let me try and simplify it:

1. Get into your car, but the key in the ignition, and hook up the ECU. If the 'New Hardware wizard' comes up, skip to step 7. If it doesn't continue on.
2. Right click on 'My Computer' and then left click on 'Properties'
3. Click on the 'Hardware' tab.
4. Click on the 'Device Manager' button
5. Scroll down. You should see an 'unknown device' or 'KProECU' with a yellow 'X' on it. Double click on that.
6. Click on 'update driver' or 'reinstall driver'
7. Select 'Install from a list or specific location' and click Next
8. Select 'Don't search. I will choose the driver' and click Next
9. Select 'Show All Devices' and click Next (this can take a while)
10. Click on 'Have disk'
11. Click on Browse, and go to the directory that you installed the K-Pro s/w (by default, it's c:\Program Files\Kpro). Click Open, then OK.
12. Make sure the KPro ECU is selected and click Next.
13. It will start to load the driver. You will get a warning stating something like 'This driver is not digitally signed. Are you sure you wish to proceed.' Click 'Continue Anyway'
14. That should be it!!

If you have any other questions, let me know

Peace

WhiZ

#6 ·
I recently had to reinstall window xp on my lap top. I tried intalling the usb driver for kpro. But I can't get it to recognize it. I tried different usb cables, install and reinstall kpro. I went to device manager and all it says is "usb serial converter". I always have it check c://programfiles/kmamager, to install the drivers.

Any suggestion on installing usb drivers? I dont have my kpro disk anymore, I just download the program from hondata's website. The light in the ecu just stays a constant green.

#7 ·
You are using a USB -> serial port converter? If so, you have to load that driver before you can load the K-Pro driver. It should have been included with your converter, or you can go to the product's website for the driver.

If you're not using a converter, try removing the 'usb serial converter' and reboot.

Peace

WhiZ

#8 · (Edited)
WhiZ said:
You are using a USB -> serial port converter? If so, you have to load that driver before you can load the K-Pro driver. It should have been included with your converter, or you can go to the product's website for the driver.

If you're not using a converter, try removing the 'usb serial converter' and reboot.

Peace

WhiZ

As soon as I plug the usb cable in the laptop "USB-serial" pops up. I've tried updating, reinstalling the driver. I keep choosing c://programfiles/kmanager, but it still doesnt find it. I've installed my usb drivers before with kpro, I'm not sure why this is happening.

I've reinstalled windows xp on my lap top. I'll post some screen shots of what comes up.

Any ideas?

Attachments

#10 ·
Wow, that's just weird... I see you're running SP2, but my notebook is running SP2 and it didn't have any troubles with the driver, so that can't be it. Try tt061880's idea and let us know what happens.

Peace

WhiZ

#11 ·
tt061880 said:
before u install the new driver, plug your ecu to your computer and go to hardware and uninstall the "usb driver" for the kpro. Unplug the cable and plug it back in, now it'll tell u that it recognize new hardware and now u can install the usb driver again.

I tried it and it didn't work. As soon as I plug in the usb cable, my laptop says "usb-serial" then automatically installs it as "usb-serial". I reinstalled windows xp and am currently using service pack 1.

How can i stop my comptuer from recognizing the connection as a "USB -SERIAL" converter? Thanks for the help.

#12 ·
This is the pre-SP2 procedure, but you should be able to get thru it. From my post above:

1. Get into your car, but the key in the ignition, and hook up the ECU. If the 'New Hardware wizard' comes up, skip to step 7. If it doesn't continue on.
2. Right click on 'My Computer' and then left click on 'Properties'
3. Click on the 'Hardware' tab.
4. Click on the 'Device Manager' button
5. Scroll down. You should see an 'unknown device' or 'USB<>Serial> or 'KProECU' with a yellow 'X' on it. Double click on that.
6. Click on 'update driver' or 'reinstall driver'
7. Select 'Install from a list or specific location' and click Next
8. Select 'Don't search. I will choose the driver' and click Next
9. Select 'Show All Devices' and click Next (this can take a while)
10. Click on 'Have disk'
11. Click on Browse, and go to the directory that you installed the K-Pro s/w (by default, it's c:\Program Files\Kmanager). Click Open, then OK.
12. Make sure the KPro ECU is selected and click Next.
13. It will start to load the driver. You will get a warning stating something like 'This driver is not digitally signed. Are you sure you wish to proceed.' Click 'Continue Anyway'
14. That should be it!!

Peace

WhiZ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.