Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed the K-pro and uploaded the AEM CAI configuration. Everything was working fine until I turned off the car and unplugged the computer. I started it back up and the little green light that's shaped like a key keeps flashing. More importantly, the engine is making a rattling nose(or at least it sounds likes it's coming from the engine bay). I've come to the conclusion it's knocking, and have found how to fix it. But don't really know what to do from there. It said to adjust the air/fuel ratio and retard the timing. If anybody can explain this process, it would be appreciated. Oh, I also noticed the engine sound correlated with the flickering of my check engine light. Oh, and i've watched the k-pro seminar dvd, it didn't help. Any help would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
RSXNNAZ said:
I just installed the K-pro and uploaded the AEM CAI configuration. Everything was working fine until I turned off the car and unplugged the computer. I started it back up and the little green light that's shaped like a key keeps flashing. More importantly, the engine is making a rattling nose(or at least it sounds likes it's coming from the engine bay). I've come to the conclusion it's knocking, and have found how to fix it. But don't really know what to do from there. It said to adjust the air/fuel ratio and retard the timing. If anybody can explain this process, it would be appreciated. Oh, I also noticed the engine sound correlated with the flickering of my check engine light. Oh, and i've watched the k-pro seminar dvd, it didn't help. Any help would be great. Thanks
As for the key light, click on you r immobilizer in the parameters screen under the window section and upload the cal again. Also, several people are having issues with knock, especially under load. Do you have the AC on?

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSXNNAZ said:
If the sound corresponds with the check engine light flickering, then that is knock. You say that you found how to fix it, but then ask what to do from here and how to adjust A/F and ignition. So DID you already datalog, identify the exact conditions where knocks occur or not?

I agree that the seminar DVD only gives you a good overview of the K-Pro. In order to really get the big picture, you also need to view the training sessions at http://hondata.com/techk-protraining.html. They are very specific.

In general, the procedure to eliminate knocking is this:

1) Do a datalog to see where knocking happens. Make sure to capture all instances of knocking if it happens in more than one rpm/load area.

2) Once you have a datalog file, load it in the ECU Manager, make sure you have the same calibration loaded as is in your ECU.

3) Open Window>Tables and Window>Graph. If you haven't created a graph templates that shows knocking (K.Count), create one via Options>Graph Templates. Use it to pinpoint knocks.

4) Once you have a knock identified in the Graph (and the dotted vertical line moved to exactly that point), the 4x4 cell block highlighted in the table is where you need to retard timing (make sure under Options you have "tables follows VTEC" and "Tables follow Cam Angle" on).

5) Retard timing by 2 degrees in that 2x2 cell block and maybe by 1 degree in the cells around it. Check the exact cam angle also (in the Sensors window). If it is 37 degrees, you'll have to make the ignition adjustments both in the 30 degree and the 40 degree ignition maps.

6) Save, upload, and go for a test ride.

Air-fuel is another issue and you'll want to tackle that after you got rid of knock.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
BigDawg said:
As for the key light, click on you r immobilizer in the parameters screen under the window section and upload the cal again. Also, several people are having issues with knock, especially under load. Do you have the AC on?

I have tried run it with the AC on and it's considerably worse.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for all your replies. I am at least pretty sure what's going on and know where I can find the answer. I'm gonna study it this weekend and will post later, hopefully with everything corrected. thanks

·
Registered
2,811 Posts
Thats a good point Dave. Raise your idle RPM a bit and see in the vibes lessen at all.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BigDawg said:
Thats a good point Dave. Raise your idle RPM a bit and see in the vibes lessen at all.
Yeah, I raised the idle to 1k rpm, but I can definetely tell it's more severe than that. I'm pretty sure it's knocking now. The sound correlates directly to the flashing of the cel. I bit off a little more than I could chew with this one. Didn't realize the complexity of the k-pro. Thought I could just select one of the preprogrammed calibrations and just plug and play. Didn't realize I would have to do other tweaking. Oh well, I'm just going to have to read up on it and try to figure it out or have somebody who knows how to do it fix it up for me.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSXNNAZ said:
Yeah, I raised the idle to 1k rpm, but I can definetely tell it's more severe than that. I'm pretty sure it's knocking now. The sound correlates directly to the flashing of the cel. I bit off a little more than I could chew with this one. Didn't realize the complexity of the k-pro. Thought I could just select one of the preprogrammed calibrations and just plug and play. Didn't realize I would have to do other tweaking. Oh well, I'm just going to have to read up on it and try to figure it out or have somebody who knows how to do it fix it up for me.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..... Not sure why you fiddle with idle when all indications point towards knocking. Just do the datalog as described above and then fix the knocks, as also described in detail. It is not difficult.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
conradb212 said:
If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck..... Not sure why you fiddle with idle when all indications point towards knocking. Just do the datalog as described above and then fix the knocks, as also described in detail. It is not difficult.
If driving when the engine is knocking is bad and I have to go do a datalog to fix the problem, don't I have the possibility of really f'ing my engine?

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSXNNAZ said:
If driving when the engine is knocking is bad and I have to go do a datalog to fix the problem, don't I have the possibility of really f'ing my engine?
Not sure what to say. I have basically the same combo as you and I never had knocking near idle. Also, you said "I've come to the conclusion it's knocking, and have found how to fix it " but never answered whether you indeed found how to fix knocking or not. IF you have the K-Pro set so that the MIL flickers at knocking and you do both hear pinging AND the light flickers, then I'd say that is knocking. That is very easily confirmed by datalogging even a few seconds of idling and slight revving. Do it and check the K-Count. You can even post the datalog up here so we can see what's going on.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
conradb212 said:
Not sure what to say. I have basically the same combo as you and I never had knocking near idle. Also, you said "I've come to the conclusion it's knocking, and have found how to fix it " but never answered whether you indeed found how to fix knocking or not. IF you have the K-Pro set so that the MIL flickers at knocking and you do both hear pinging AND the light flickers, then I'd say that is knocking. That is very easily confirmed by datalogging even a few seconds of idling and slight revving. Do it and check the K-Count. You can even post the datalog up here so we can see what's going on.

I will do that. Just have to get a hold of a laptop. Had to return the one I was using. I watched the basic tuning videos online at hondata's website. I got some stuff out of it, but am still very hesitant about messing around with the ignition timing, cam angles, etc. I mess something up there and goodbye engine. I will try to get the datalog information up; however, as soon as I can get a hold of another laptop. I realized I should of done some more research on the subject, but damn conrad take it easy. We are not all K-pro gurus like yourself. I will admit I appreciate the help you are offering and that I should have done some more thorough research. Anyway, I don't mean to knock you, I'm sure your meant well.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSXNNAZ said:
...We are not all K-pro gurus like yourself. I will admit I appreciate the help you are offering and that I should have done some more thorough research. Anyway, I don't mean to knock you, I'm sure your meant well.
No problem. I know that once one has studied something, all of a sudden it seems easy whereas before it seemed like one big, cryptic puzzle. It wasn't too long ago that some of us who were pioneers with the K-Pro were trying to figure out the basics.

Anyway, I DO wish I could start up your engine and listen to it myself. There simply shouldn't be that much knock even at idle let you run on cough syrup. So as soon as you get your hands on another laptop, do some logging and we'll get that thing resolved.

·
5,022 Posts
First thing, I would do if the car is knocking is retard timing all across the board by 3 degrees. Everywhere. That should solve most of your problems. Then work from there. AZ is hot this time of year so you are more prone to detonation. Get some colder plugs and see if that will help also. Try mixing 100 octane and pump gas to achieve 96 octane, more or less.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, things just got a whole lot worse. I purchased a laptop, installed the software, checked out the instructional videos and basically just tried to learn everything I could before having another go at it. I get out there, make sure I have the right configuration uploaded and try to start the car. No go. My car would not start. I really don't know what to do now. I would turn the ignition and it would choke basically. After turning the ignition and having it choke for a little bit, all of a sudden all the lights on the panel would flash really fast and make a clicking noise. So yeah, I basically have no idea what to do know. I can't even start it up to datalog anything. One thing I did do was look at the preprogrammed maps, and I got to admit they look odd to me. I've admitted before I don't have alot of experience with the k-pro software, but the ignition timing maps just don't look right. Need help, please!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.