Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I'm going to be buying a K-pro in the next week or two but I need some answers first. I have an Apexi vtc II installed.......but not tuned. I need to know if this is going to affect K-pro's settings at all. Should I uninstall the vtc or can I keep it in for looks. I'm not the best at wiring also so keeping it in is something I want to try to do. Basically, will the vtc "take" K-pro's settings? As if it were installed originally, or do I need to do something else??

Second Question. I have looked over the preset's that come on the K-pro and I was a little surprised there was no preset for a I/H/E set-up. I understand that there can be thousands of different combo's with those three, but couldn't they come up with some kind of preset for them. My setup as of now is Injen sri, JRRH, carsound cat, and Greddy Evo Exhaust. Can anyone tell me what preset I sould start with?? I will eventually get it dyno tuned, but like any new K-pro user I wanna play!!! Someone set me in the right direction with these two questions??? :dontknow:

·
N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
My guess would be that there are just too many headers with different responses to have starting points for each one. Just like there's one 'ColdAir' calibration for the various CAI available. My suggestion would be to start there (k20a2-rsx-coldair) and then start tuning. Tune your A/F (make sure you're not too lean with the JRRH) and then go from there.

Sorry, no advice on the Apexi.

Peace

WhiZ

·
I love Audi Junkie!!!
3,072 Posts
JRTypS said:
Okay, I'm going to be buying a K-pro in the next week or two but I need some answers first. I have an Apexi vtc II installed.......but not tuned. I need to know if this is going to affect K-pro's settings at all. Should I uninstall the vtc or can I keep it in for looks. I'm not the best at wiring also so keeping it in is something I want to try to do. Basically, will the vtc "take" K-pro's settings? As if it were installed originally, or do I need to do something else??
Take it out.. You will have no need for it, you will be able to log everything the VTC displays and more.. Also it may intifere with the K-Pro's operation, and that is just not worth the risk. BTW, it is much easier to remove the VTC, than to install it...

JRTypS said:
Second Question. I have looked over the preset's that come on the K-pro and I was a little surprised there was no preset for a I/H/E set-up. I understand that there can be thousands of different combo's with those three, but couldn't they come up with some kind of preset for them. My setup as of now is Injen sri, JRRH, carsound cat, and Greddy Evo Exhaust. Can anyone tell me what preset I sould start with?? I will eventually get it dyno tuned, but like any new K-pro user I wanna play!!! Someone set me in the right direction with these two questions??? :dontknow:
I am not sure what tunes currently are included in the package, there are several users out there who could probably more accurately answer this one, but it is not difficult to customize your own settings in just a few hours of street tuning...

-JMS

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
JRTypS said:
The K-Pro IS a Honda ECU, just one with different programming and different maps. Piggyback systems simply intercept data to and from the ECU and meddle with it. If a piggyback can somehow to be set to do absolutely nothing at all, it may work with a K-Pro. Else, it may mess with K-Pro settings, with unpredictable results. By far the cleanest solution is to remove the piggyback and work with the K-Pro.

That is the generic answer. Hondata, of course, can give the definite answer as can the Apexi folks.

·
Vendor
935 Posts
JRTypS said:
Thanks conrad, Is there any hondata moderators out there that can give me more precise answers?
Yes,

Remove it. Anything that modifies signals to the ECU will not allow you to tyne the car properly.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSX-S-Black said:
i want to get Hondata too, but i am a newb on this.......is k-pro the best one??? and if i am gonna get turbo someday, does it matter??? (if i have the k pro) thanks :confused: :thumbsup:
In my opinion, the K-Pro is a must-have for anyone who modifies their K-Series engine and for anyone who wants to learn more about the engine in general. Nothing else comes close.

The K-Pro can easily handle turbo applications.

·
ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
RSX-S-Black said:
they they add HP, and higher redline?? (sorry...Very newb) :p
Hondata manipulates cam angle, ignition advance, fueling, VTEC point, fuel cutoff and several other aspects. Honda factory tuning is a lowest common denominator that makes sure the car runs reasonably well under even the most adverse conditions. Hondata reflashes optimize the car so that it performs up to its potential. The programmable Hondata K-Pro system allows you complete control over all those aspects.

The Hondata website (www.hondata.com) provides a wealth of information, and the Hondata FAQ on this site should anser most questions.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd say if your completely new to modding, start with bolt on parts, read read read, then think about hondata. The search button is your best friend. I've been reading on the board for three years....just don't post unless I really need to. You'll learn so much and the people on the board "usually" are 100 percent helpful. Hondata K-pro might be alot to handle right away. Depends on the person. So good luck!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.