Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm tired of waiting for my DC Race Header to ship, so I'm thinking about getting K-Pro to give me something to hold me over until the header arrives.

When I get the header, I will likely have King Motorsports tune my car. Until then, I will have to adjust the ITR map to get me through until I can have it tuned correctly (don't want to pay for a tune, just to get additional parts a month or two later).

It sounds like getting rid of the knock that will inevitalbly be there is fairly straight forward. For those of you who have done this, has it been pretty easy to get rid of knock, or have you come across problems while doing this?

Also, I have a pretty noticeable VTEC dip. Will simple tuning (air/fuel) help smooth this out, or will I have to wait for professional tuning to fix the dip?

Thanks!
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
02DSMTypeS said:
I'm tired of waiting for my DC Race Header to ship, so I'm thinking about getting K-Pro to give me something to hold me over until the header arrives.

When I get the header, I will likely have King Motorsports tune my car. Until then, I will have to adjust the ITR map to get me through until I can have it tuned correctly (don't want to pay for a tune, just to get additional parts a month or two later).

It sounds like getting rid of the knock that will inevitalbly be there is fairly straight forward. For those of you who have done this, has it been pretty easy to get rid of knock, or have you come across problems while doing this?

Also, I have a pretty noticeable VTEC dip. Will simple tuning (air/fuel) help smooth this out, or will I have to wait for professional tuning to fix the dip?

Thanks!
Not to worry. Getting rid of knock (if you even have any) and adjusting the fueling is not very difficult. You'll be fine, and we can probably answer any questions you may have. Go for it.
 

·
Old School
Joined
·
1,754 Posts
Conrad, this might be off topic. What's a good Vtec engagement point for the Comptech Icebox? Or let me word this better, how do I find a optimal vtec point for my car? Trial and error?
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
RSXTypeSNewb said:
Conrad, this might be off topic. What's a good Vtec engagement point for the Comptech Icebox? Or let me word this better, how do I find a optimal vtec point for my car? Trial and error?
Hard to say. The reflash still has a VTEC point of 5200 or so, and it took me a while to be convinced that the much lower 4300 VTEC lower boundary of the K-Pro CAI calibration was a good idea. It is. For some odd reason, Hondata #4 and my Icebox just didn't get along, but once I got the K-Pro that was no longer an issue.

Anyway, I suggest you start with a lower VTEC boundary of 4300 at 90 kPa (full throttle) and an upper boundary of 5800 at 24 kPa (very light throttle). I eventually increased my lower boundary to 4500 after tuning at Hondata, and it is perfect at that point. I can still mill around town on the low cam, but as soon as I want to see some punch, all I have to do is hit 4500 and the car takes off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
RSXTypeSNewb said:
Conrad, this might be off topic. What's a good Vtec engagement point for the Comptech Icebox? Or let me word this better, how do I find a optimal vtec point for my car? Trial and error?
the simple or 'quick and dirty' way to find the lower boundary (without doing a complete tune) is to use the cai calibration's cam angle maps and do 2 dyno runs- 1 with vtec engagement at 6000rpm, and 1 with vtec engagement at 3500rpm. then you simply compare to 2 power curves and pick your optimum point to crossover (for high load condition). part throttle (or higher boundary), you can just keep it at 5800.
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
shqiptar said:
hey, im getting my kpro tuned by king also. My DCRH and SP2 are coming in next week. What calibaration should I upload to get me around for about two weeks until I get tuned?
That depends on what mods you have on your car.
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
Just use the stock-tuned. It may run a bit lean with the race header, but you can easily add a bit of fuel in the lean spots.
 

·
ECU Tuner
Joined
·
3,588 Posts
shqiptar said:
how can i add fuel in lean spots if i dont have a dyno?
You do a datalog that captures the entire revband. Best thing to do is a full-throttle run from 3000 all the way to redline. You then use the "Graph" function in the ECU Manager software to look at the Air-Fuel ratio (you may have to create a custom graph that shows AF, rpm, MAP, and CAM via Options>Graph Templates). Now you can see what your AF ratio is at every point of the rpm band. For the sake of the argument, if you see that the engine is running very lean (say over 15) between 5000 and 6000 rpm, you would then select all columns and the rows between 5000 and 5000 rpm (forming a rctangle) and add fuel. Ctl-I increases fuel by 1%, Ctl-D decreases it. A rule of thumb is that adding/removing 10% fuel changes the AF by 1 point. Also important: make those changes in the fuel tables that bracket the cam angle where you want to make the change. For example, if your CAM is at 25 degrees in your lean areas, make the fuel changes both to the 20 and the 30 degree tables. Once done, save and then upload the edited calibration, and go for another datalog run.

I know this sounds a bit involved, but it's really simple once you play with it and grasp the concepts. Also, Hondata has some very good training sessions at http://hondata.com/techk-protraining.html.
 

·
bEWBIES!!
Joined
·
486 Posts
one more thing, when the get the kpro i plan on renting a laptop just so i can upload a calibartion so i can actually drive it, then i'll take it to a tuner. So will i be able to install the kpro again on my laptop when i actually buy it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
758 Posts
shqiptar said:
So will i be able to install the kpro again on my laptop when i actually buy it.
you can install K-Pro on whatever computer you are using this second. got to hondata's website and download the software- it takes 2 minutes

you don't need to buy anything to learn how to use it (at least the basics). learn, then buy
 

·
EWGF Master
Joined
·
755 Posts
conradb212 said:
You do a datalog that captures the entire revband. Best thing to do is a full-throttle run from 3000 all the way to redline. You then use the "Graph" function in the ECU Manager software to look at the Air-Fuel ratio (you may have to create a custom graph that shows AF, rpm, MAP, and CAM via Options>Graph Templates). Now you can see what your AF ratio is at every point of the rpm band. For the sake of the argument, if you see that the engine is running very lean (say over 15) between 5000 and 6000 rpm, you would then select all columns and the rows between 5000 and 5000 rpm (forming a rctangle) and add fuel. Ctl-I increases fuel by 1%, Ctl-D decreases it. A rule of thumb is that adding/removing 10% fuel changes the AF by 1 point. Also important: make those changes in the fuel tables that bracket the cam angle where you want to make the change. For example, if your CAM is at 25 degrees in your lean areas, make the fuel changes both to the 20 and the 30 degree tables. Once done, save and then upload the edited calibration, and go for another datalog run.

I know this sounds a bit involved, but it's really simple once you play with it and grasp the concepts. Also, Hondata has some very good training sessions at http://hondata.com/techk-protraining.html.
:thumbsup: very good info!
 

·
bEWBIES!!
Joined
·
486 Posts
BG RSX said:
you can install K-Pro on whatever computer you are using this second. got to hondata's website and download the software- it takes 2 minutes

you don't need to buy anything to learn how to use it (at least the basics). learn, then buy
o, ok, i thougth that the kpro comes with a cd and you can only download it once for piracy reasons or some shit. cool thanks
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top