Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As title, I'm wondering what specs your laptops have when you're doing datalogging. I see Hondata recommends 256 megs of RAM, so I think my 64 meg 266mHz Compaq just isn't going to cut it for datalogging :thumbsdow

· N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Probably not. The posts I've seen show guys using 500-600Mhz machines with 256MB RAM. I personally use a 2.4Ghz PIV with 256MB, but don't get frame rates any higher than other people. Hondata has said they're working on this - hopefully in the next version?

Peace

WhiZ

· Registered
49 Posts
Well, my little laptop works and does all the K-Pro functions ie data logging etc.

Its a HP Omnibook 500, P3 600mHz with 128K ram.

I've had no issues :thumbsup:

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
mkdc5 said:
Well, my little laptop works and does all the K-Pro functions ie data logging etc.
Almost any notebook with a USB port will do. The difference lies mainly in frame capture speed. When analyzing logs and tracking down the cause of knocks and such, it makes a huge difference whether you're logging at three frames per second or fifty.

· 1320 warrior!
1,741 Posts
I don't know much about computers but I have this wicked old NEC Versa 2200C
laptop that has windows 95. It doesn't even have a cd rom. I'm not sure on the specs but I'll try to find out. Can I just get an external cd rom since it looks like there's no room for an internal one? Or should I just buy a new one LOL. I was just trying not to spend too much money. thanks in advance guys.

· parts selling freak
588 Posts
i got the $600 special from circuit city a couple of weeks ago. its a toshiba celeron 2.8ghz 256mb ram 15" screen 40gb hard drive with windows xp. regular price was over $900!!! i jumped all over it..

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
EBP-RSX-S said:
I don't know much about computers but I have this wicked old NEC Versa 2200C
laptop that has windows 95. It doesn't even have a cd rom. I'm not sure on the specs but I'll try to find out. Can I just get an external cd rom since it looks like there's no room for an internal one? Or should I just buy a new one LOL. I was just trying not to spend too much money. thanks in advance guys.
That was an original Pentium 75MHz machine if I am not mistaken. Which means it most likely doesn't have a USB port, and you need one to have the laptop communicate with the ECU. If you're serious about K-Pro and datalogging, you should probably consider getting something in the 600MHz Pentium III range (about $400 on Ebay).

· N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
We have confirmation that the K-Pro software does run in VPC, but I don't think we've had anybody actually try to U/L a calibration yet. To answer your question, yes, you could edit the calibrations, but it remains to be seen if you could then actually do anything with it.

Peace

WhiZ

· Registered
425 Posts
my compaq tablet just arrived this morning!

its an absolutely gorgeous bit of kit , got 756mb ram and 60gb storage etc
size is perfect(10 inch screen) its like carrying a pad around ie size of a4 sheet

now all i have to do is learn how to use it lol! :)

doug is already in London for dealers round, mines being converted Friday and flying in to see him at seminar on Sunday

big week ahead!

ps doug is spending early part of week tuning one of our highly modded n/a ctrs with kpro- lucky guy getting the hands on treatment from the master himself!

hope to cog his map later for research purposes(he's running toda n2 set up with gruppe m , custom catbak, decat etc)

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
alanb said:
my compaq tablet just arrived this morning!

its an absolutely gorgeous bit of kit , got 756mb ram and 60gb storage etc
size is perfect(10 inch screen) its like carrying a pad around ie size of a4 sheet

now all i have to do is learn how to use it lol! :)

doug is already in London for dealers round, mines being converted Friday and flying in to see him at seminar on Sunday

ps doug is spending early part of week tuning one of our highly modded n/a ctrs with kpro- lucky guy getting the hands on treatment from the master himself!

hope to cog his map later for research purposes(he's running toda n2 set up with gruppe m , custom catbak, decat etc)
Feel free to ask questions about the HP. I still have one of the earliest prototypes (it still says Compaq Evo on it), plus a newer unit.

As for the tuning session, enjoy that one. Spending a day with Doug and watching him do his stuff and explain things is totally terrific. Ask lots of questions if you get a chance. Doug's also very interactive and will explain things, ask his own test questions, and involve you in the process.

· Registered
98 Posts
p4 2.4GHz 512M DDR

· don't know
614 Posts
will a pentium III work almost as well as a pentium IIII. and will you be able to datalog with a pentium III laptop.

sorry for the stupid Q's. im really not into computers. just trying to find out the bare min. for a laptop to run k-pro.

· ECU Tuner
3,588 Posts
k20a2racer said:
will a pentium III work almost as well as a pentium IIII. and will you be able to datalog with a pentium III laptop.
Yes, any Pentium 3 with a USB port will work just as well as a Pentium IV. Make sure you get something with a decent battery and/or a car charger.

· don't know
614 Posts
if you get a laptop that comes with an insufficient(sp?) battery. can you buy a better one?

· N/A to go please...
1,787 Posts
Most laptops have after-market batteries available. APC makes notebook batteries for most of the major brands. Prices will be between $100-200 though.

Peace

WhiZ

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.