Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I’m new on here and I own a 2004 Rsx type S it’s also my first car. Long story short a month after buying the car the engine blew after taking it to a shop for an oil change. I never got to know why it blew but I took the opportunity to change things up so I bought a K24a2 of a tsx. The car worked like a dream for about 3 months but then I got a knock. Now this time it was completely my fault because oil could of been higher. The car was never tuned. Now the real question comes in, I’m buying another k24a2 from another tsx but I’m wondering if there’s anything I have to do after I drop the engine in. I’ve heard that I needed something called kpro, I’ve also heard it needs a tune and I’ve also heard it’s fine just the way it is. I just need a little guidance on what to do after, before I blow another low miles engine and scrap the whole car. The only mods besides the engine swap is a cold air intake, and it’s straight piped.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Kpro
You never do a swap without an engine management system. That should be common sense, I don’t understand why anyone would think a stock ECU can safely run a different engine to begin with.

Do some research before you make any further decisions on your car. This forum is a gold mine of information. 9/10 times, any question you are going to post on here will already have an answer in a previous thread.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that’s something no one ever told me the first time I swapped the engine. It also doesn’t help that I’m new to this car stuff😅 Now that I know I’ve been looking to get Kpro but does it matter which version I get? And after I acquire Kpro I need to get it to a tuner, I now understand that but could I daily drive the car meanwhile? Not abusing it or anything but just to get around while I get Kpro and fine a tuner near me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Ok that’s something no one ever told me the first time I swapped the engine. It also doesn’t help that I’m new to this car stuff😅 Now that I know I’ve been looking to get Kpro but does it matter which version I get? And after I acquire Kpro I need to get it to a tuner, I now understand that but could I daily drive the car meanwhile? Not abusing it or anything but just to get around while I get Kpro and fine a tuner near me.
Any version of kpro will work. If you dont buy an old ecu with kpro already, you will get 4.0 (i/e sending in your old ecu to hondata).

You can daily drive with a k24 tune on kpro. But its not recommended to do too much driving. you will get shitty mileage etc. I only drove mine to the tuner.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Don't get tuned until you're done modifying, or you're just going to pay to get tuned again. Just run one of the calibrations that come with Kpro. There's at least 3, stock being one of them.

^that isn't necessarily correct. It's completely safe to drive as much as you want on those basemaps. I ran a reflash for at least a year before I got tuned, and I wasn't easy on her in the slightest. Difference in fuel economy shouldn't be that noticeable.

You can baby the car until Kpro, but again, you're running the risk of blowing your motor. You've already done it once, why allow the possibility of doing it again? or just get another k20a2.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So since this thing is almost stock I should be fine running one of the stock maps from Kpro. A tuner won’t be necessary since I don’t really have much mods yet. When it comes to fuel economy I don’t drive much so that doesn’t bother me. Alright I think I’m starting to understand the mistakes I did before and what I have to do now. Is there anything else that I should know before I pull the trigger one last time on this rsx?

·
Registered
826 Posts
As long as that straight piped exhaust doesn't include a race header, then yes the stock k24a2 calibration will work fine. If I were you, I'd still get a tune when you have the money to burn. There's still power left on the table with stock calibrations.

·
Registered
134 Posts
So since this thing is almost stock I should be fine running one of the stock maps from Kpro. A tuner won’t be necessary since I don’t really have much mods yet. When it comes to fuel economy I don’t drive much so that doesn’t bother me. Alright I think I’m starting to understand the mistakes I did before and what I have to do now. Is there anything else that I should know before I pull the trigger one last time on this rsx?
you should still get a tune. Intake and exhaust throws stuff off. a tune is about 150-200 bucks. Its better to make sure that everything is running tip top considering the small cost

·
Registered
826 Posts
I/E mods are well within the ECU’s limits when it comes to making corrections, some people even get away with I/H/E. The motor will run in “tip top shape” with a factory calibration as long as it’s mechanically sound. They’re tuned from the factory to operate under any condition. The tune will provide more power, but that’s it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I’m doing a full k24a2 swap in my rsx and almost finished. The only thing I’m having trouble with is figuring out this sensor I have on passenger side of the fuel rail that has two hoses coming off it. And also figuring out the rest of the piping. I will take some pics in a few but I haven’t seen any threads with this issues. Could be that I got the car with no engine In it and trying to piece everything together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
134 Posts
I’m doing a full k24a2 swap in my rsx and almost finished. The only thing I’m having trouble with is figuring out this sensor I have on passenger side of the fuel rail that has two hoses coming off it. And also figuring out the rest of the piping. I will take some pics in a few but I haven’t seen any threads with this issues. Could be that I got the car with no engine In it and trying to piece everything together

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you using the rsx wiring harness?? There might be an additional sensor on that engine. you definitly need to take a picture. I know on that side of the engine there is two cam sensors, and a temp sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Question!!! The shop my rsx is at currently that is getting the k24a2 swap done says my car is ready but is bogging out under 2000 rpm because of my bigger exhaust manifold(skunk2 street series) and that it needs to be retuned with a kpro. My buddy says that's not right and that the car should be running okay and not bogging and that is contributed to something dumb like an o2 sensor, dirty spark plug, or possible vacuum leak. I don't want to pick up my car til it's running how its supposed to. :[

·
Registered
826 Posts
Question!!! The shop my rsx is at currently that is getting the k24a2 swap done says my car is ready but is bogging out under 2000 rpm because of my bigger exhaust manifold(skunk2 street series) and that it needs to be retuned with a kpro. My buddy says that's not right and that the car should be running okay and not bogging and that is contributed to something dumb like an o2 sensor, dirty spark plug, or possible vacuum leak. I don't want to pick up my car til it's running how its supposed to. :[
Hey guy, did you bother reading anything in this thread before you posted your question? Read my response to the thread starter. Your buddy is dumb, don't be like him.

·
WILDCARD!
1,163 Posts
Hey guy, did you bother reading anything in this thread before you posted your question? Read my response to the thread starter. Your buddy is dumb, don't be like him.
LOL, he started two other threads about this and I told him the same. I mean, thanks for searching, but why bother if you're not actually going to read the info you found?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts