Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

· Banned
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got if of another board. It is an EK but I am sure you guys will appreciate it.

Dyno the power was made because of the HONDATA K PRO

Engine Specs:
2003 JDM ITR K-Series Swap ( Rated 220hp / 6 Speed )
HONDATA K-PRO Fully Programmable ECU (Awesome Computer)
PIT CREW MOTORSPORTS Custom Wiring Harness
HASPORT Engine Mount Kit
HASPORT Axle Kit
PITCREW Custom Short Shifter
PROTOTYPE Racing Aluminum Cold Air Intake w/ 5" Velocity Stack / K&N Air Filter
PROTOTYPE Racing 304 Stainless 4-2-1 Header
SH 3" Full Stainless Exhaust Piping w/ V-Band Clamps
BORLA Pro XS 3" Straight Through Muffler ( SH Custom Tip )
AEM High Flow Fuel Rail
AEM Alternator Pulley
BBK In-Tank Fuel Pump
SX Adjustable Fuel Regulater
SX Fuel Filter
EARL’S Aircraft Fittings
NOMEX Fuel Line ( lightweight )
FEEL’S Aluminum Oil Cap
VISION Carbon Fiber Valve Cover Insert
SAMCO Heater Hoses ( red )
T-1R Racing Dry Cell Battery
PROTOTYPE Racing Magnesium Battery Hold Down
MADRID Custom Battery Tray
RAYCHEM Power, Starter, Alternater, and Ground Wires
GREDDY Water Temp Gauge Adapter
MUGEN Thermostat
MUGEN Fan Switch
NEO Synthetic Motor Oil / Tranny Oil

· Registered
567 Posts
NICE FIND!!!

As much as the K-Pro is turning out to be a 'must' for the K20A.
I am getting more and more interested in this velocity stack intake thing. I am sure I must be able to make an attachment to the Injen and try a little experiment.
Anyway know if this is a bad idea.

Oh by the way. If i can make 218whp with 160wtq!!! without cams. I am good. I am not looking forward to pulling up the engine just yet.
When i get bored of that I will then move on to cams. 160tq is givin me a hard on.

· Registered
5,292 Posts
TypeRus said:
As much as the K-Pro is turning out to be a 'must' for the K20A.
I am getting more and more interested in this velocity stack intake thing. I am sure I must be able to make an attachment to the Injen and try a little experiment.
Anyway know if this is a bad idea.
The Injen CAI has a velocity stack built in to the filter, but it's pretty small. I'm not sure if you'll have room to put anything larger in there.

· Registered
567 Posts
Is it just a larger diameter filter with an attachment to guide the airflow into the piping?
I was thinking if I bought a bigger K&N filter then just made a sort of plate. weld the plate (with hole in the middle of course) and install the filter onto that. I wonder if it is even worth it.
But then again, if i dont 'make' horsepower, I dooubt i will lose any. So i guess it cant hurt.

· Registered
5,292 Posts
TypeRus said:
Is it just a larger diameter filter with an attachment to guide the airflow into the piping?
Essentially.

TypeRus said:
I was thinking if I bought a bigger K&N filter then just made a sort of plate. weld the plate (with hole in the middle of course) and install the filter onto that. I wonder if it is even worth it.
But then again, if i dont 'make' horsepower, I dooubt i will lose any. So i guess it cant hurt.
Worth a shot. I'm just wondering how long the stack should be to extract power from it.

· Registered
567 Posts
Are you implying that the lenth would be a huge variable in this? I don't think there is any other way to put the cold air. I notice the prototype racing intake pipe is straight across, but we would have a difficult time pushing that pipe through the battery. then again i guess we could move the battery to the trunk if necassary.
I wonder if that is major part of the success of having the 'prototype' velocity stack.

What I see in the pictures is a flat 'plate' that the fliter is bolted onto. I wonder if a more cone like fixture wouldn't do better. To guide the air better. The cone and then a wide filter would even create a bigger vacuum of air to be sucked into piping.

I am just writing as a i think here. Maybe the velocity stack doesnt contribute any advantage at all. I wonder if there is any proof (whether from prototype on the K20 or another motor) that it works.

· Registered
567 Posts
Take a look at the Hondata EK/K20A conversion.
Have a look at that velocity stack, it reallly doesnt look like rocket science. And I guess they wouldn't go through trouble if it didnt improve hp/tq.

· Registered
567 Posts
very cool. looks a little more technical now, but not impossible.
where did you find that, did it mention the advantages or provide any dyno with it on/off?

· big magic bumpsticks soon
584 Posts
TypeRus said:
very cool. looks a little more technical now, but not impossible.
where did you find that, did it mention the advantages or provide any dyno with it on/off?

i have the prototype racing velocity stack. after talking to joe at prototype and ron i decided to pick one up because im serious when it comes down to performance. i was going to get a straight pipe and relocate the battery but ron said that the stack would work good on the end of an aem CAI (it was tested). so after purchasing it and ordering the special k and n air filter its RF something the model number is laying around somewhere, i put that shit together and walla. with high breathing cams and tuning the stack should add 5-7whp on top of the intake. if you are serious about getting one contact prototype racing and just put it on the end of your CAI and get a kn air filter for it.

p.s. i connected the stack to the intake tube with a 3" rubber tube and a clamp. no welding needed :thumbsup:

heres a pic of it

Attachments

· Registered
567 Posts
thats excelent. when you say high lift cams, what cams do you have? so there are obviously no fitment issues then?
Around how much do they charge for that? i am goin to convince a couple of my freinds to get some for their cars too. it doesnt look like its a very expensive item, and 5-7 whp NA, is very nice!

584 Posts
TypeRus said:
thats excelent. when you say high lift cams, what cams do you have? so there are obviously no fitment issues then?
Around how much do they charge for that? i am goin to convince a couple of my freinds to get some for their cars too. it doesnt look like its a very expensive item, and 5-7 whp NA, is very nice!
well the stack was 80 bucks shipped then the kn filter was 50 so it turned out somewhat expensive.... right now im pretty much stock im just waiting for hi breathing cams to come out from another source (helpfull source i might add) hopfully pretty soon. also i relocated the washer bottle so i dunno if the injen replacement one would fit right.

· EFI Tuning Professional
3,856 Posts
ive met the owner of this car at this dyno day. hes a cool guy and yes hes got a fast little car. All i know, that header was expensive, but it put it about 6-7 lbs of torque over my setup in the mid-range

peace out
HARDCORE Mikey

584 Posts
iwilson said:
Am I missing something here? Didn't the Hondata Civic with pretty much the same setup make 250hp HERE
i believe the guys numbers above on this post were on a dynojet which reads 15-20whp lower. also im sure doug and derek at hondata can squeeze out more power out of an engine tuning than any other tuner considering they built the k pro and are masters at tuning.

· Registered
567 Posts
HardcoreRSXs - what header do you have again?

Diggs - I see your point about the washer bottle. I would definately have to get rid of that. But im still gonna suggest that we get some at the garage. The race car could definatly make use of it, and there are a couple DC2-R's that i know would use that velocity stack. The velocity stack says 5". I am gonna go measure this big K&N filter i saw the other day. But in the meanwhile im gonna have to contemplate the washer bottle situation. what did you do? move the bottle in the other side?

im really dying to get my hands on the k-pro. im saving some bucks for that shit. im gonna get some of the other stuff too, like the fuel pres. regulator, alt. pulley, and that velocity stack. i figure if i can make at least 215whp/160tq, i would be a happy man.

Does anyone think upgraded injectors is overboard for the stock type r cams?

1 - 20 of 104 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.