Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about to buy a k20a (dc5 type r) motor to swap into my 2002 RSX Type S. I need to know however what parts I will need to make the swap work.

So far my understanding is I will use the:
k20a Motor
k20a ECU
k20a Harness
k20a axles (not positive on this one, do you use the type s or type r axles?)
jdm front sway.
jdm exhaust manifold and cat

other then these parts is there anything else I will need to complete the swap?

this should leave me with a complete k20a2 swap correct?

Thanks in advance for any information provided! :thumbsup:

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
shouldn't need the type-r axles unless you're also going to use type-r suspension arms.
So I can use my type S axles?

does the rest of the list look okay? BTW thanks for the quick reply big worm!

·
armchair engine builder
2,484 Posts
Yes the type-s axles will be fine.

the rest should be okay. I'm not really up to date on the k20a into a us dc5 chassis so you'll probably want to wait on a better source.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Yes the type-s axles will be fine.

the rest should be okay. I'm not really up to date on the k20a into a us dc5 chassis so you'll probably want to wait on a better source.
:iamwiths:

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No no, Kpro. The swap I am looking at has the JDM Type R ECU and I was told I would be using both the JDM ECU and engine harness. As well as the Type R axles, I called CRSX customer support and they said they used the Type R axles.

I just don't want to have to spend the extra 150 for axles if I don't have to. Are the JDM axles more aggressive then the USDM ones? They are a bit longer right as the Type R has a longer wheel base?

Thanks to everyone who has replied!

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No no, Kpro. The swap I am looking at has the JDM Type R ECU and I was told I would be using both the JDM ECU and engine harness. As well as the Type R axles, I called CRSX customer support and they said they used the Type R axles.

I just don't want to have to spend the extra 150 for axles if I don't have to. Are the JDM axles more aggressive then the USDM ones? Are they a bit longer right as the Type R has a longer wheel base??

Thanks to everyone who has replied!
Can anyone clarify. I need to get this project rolling. Is there a better place to have posted this?

·
CL7 Type-R Engine
4,144 Posts
i am running base axles whit a k20a-r 220 whp for 4 years no problem so wich axles you gona use dosent matter

only difference is lenght between the jdm and the usdm
ecxept the base wich are 34mm i belive and the type-s/r are 36mm

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i am running base axles whit a k20a-r 220 whp for 4 years no problem so wich axles you gona use dosent matter

only difference is lenght between the jdm and the usdm
ecxept the base wich are 34mm i belive and the type-s/r are 36mm
Thanks for the response. I pm'd ya with a couple more questions.

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he is wondering if you are going to swap the tranny also becuz the type r tranny is better than the 02 since it has lsd and also a 4.7 final drive
Ahh I see, yes I will be doing a complete Type R swap. I needed a new transmission so, I decided to go this route and go all out Type R. :giggity:

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
you gotta use your engine harness cause the type r is made for rhd

From what I've read you can use the Type R harness it is just a real tight! Either way I'll have both harnesses.

The axles are what I am more concerned about. It seems the ITR axles are 10mm longer so I'm thinking I'll run the Type S axles.

·
nerd bomber
2,756 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i to am interested in doing this so let me know how it goes
I have had my swap completed for months now, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask me! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts