Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In terms of factory/stock specs the type r doesn't really differ that greatly from the k20a2's found in a type S. Now, my question. Would I be paying 5 grand for a rare item or potential serious power gains? I understand the k20a allegedly can handle a ton of hp without being built. $5k is a lot of money for an engine that would STILL need a turbo to get up there in power, which would cost me another 2-3k. Does anyone have any experience with tuning an all motor k20a? Am I in over my head here?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
If you have the slightest hint that you may go turbo with the engine, then don't waste your money buying a Type R engine.... Be pointless with the transmission and a waste of a few thousand dollars for the R....

·
Registered
200 Posts
just get k20a2/z1. buddy of mine is selling a complete drop out swap with everything for $2500. why pay 5g for the jdm motor when power is gonna be very similar.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
just get k20a2/z1. buddy of mine is selling a complete drop out swap with everything for $2500. why pay 5g for the jdm motor when power is gonna be very similar.
Basically a type s conversion at that point right?. Idk if I want to build it or slap a turbo on it. If i do go the route of turbo An a2/z1 would need some rebuilding no? I already have full exhaust exept for a turbo manifold. All I'd need is an ECU tune, some supporting mods and that motor can hold up easily 400hp, which is around my target area.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Pointless how? It's 5k for the motor and tranny just FYI.
Pointless for a few reasons...
$5K can get you 2 USDM Type S Swaps.... 2.... And the transmission on the Type R has shorter gears for like 3,4,5,6 if I'm not mistaken. If the car is turbo, you're gonna run out of gears too fast... You want a transmission with longer gearing... Also if you break that transmission and it needs repairing, it's gonna be harder/more expensive/ take longer to fix than if if you had a USDM transmission.

Also if you start to dig in the motor, then you've really wasted your money because the block/head/tranny is not stronger than the USDM ones... Imagine if you bought a USDM swap for about $2,500 and then had $2,500 to play with to build the engine

·
Registered
476 Posts
type r 4,5,6 only different. 5k , u can get k24a2. and build ur usdm tranny with new carbon synchros. and order type r 4,5 gears. , but if u going to turbo, keep those usdm gears , and for final drive get 02-04 type s 4.3 final gear, not the 05-06 4.7, better for turbo or k24 set up so u can benefit the new higher TQ

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
Pointless how? It's 5k for the motor and tranny just FYI.
because if you are going to turbo and actually do it the right way, your going to tear apart the engine. your better off buying an A3 block, z1 or a2 crank and fully building a badass engine yourself that is a lot stronger then stock for less then that 5k you will spend for a stock engine.

only way i would ever buy a type r engine is if im fully restoring an ACTUAL right hand drive type r that needs an engine and i don't plan on modding the motor.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
because if you are going to turbo and actually do it the right way, your going to tear apart the engine. your better off buying an A3 block, z1 or a2 crank and fully building a badass engine yourself that is a lot stronger then stock for less then that 5k you will spend for a stock transmission.

only way i would ever buy a type r engine is if im fully restoring an ACTUAL right hand drive type r that needs an engine and i don't plan on modding the motor.
I have an a3 block. I'm currently driving a base 03. I've been led in too many directions in terms of whats safe and reliable for a dd build with tons of power. I've gotten k24 block a2 head combo. A3 block a2 head combo etc. a list of frank builds.
You have any experience with any of these builds? I don't want to run that vtec killer set up caca for power.

I was getting ready to buy the a2 head to stick on my a3 block.
Also thought about the k24 head. Any input?

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
I have an a3 block. I'm currently driving a base 03. I've been led in too many directions in terms of whats safe and reliable for a dd build with tons of power. I've gotten k24 block a2 head combo. A3 block a2 head combo etc. a list of frank builds.
You have any experience with any of these builds? I don't want to run that vtec killer set up caca for power.

I was getting ready to buy the a2 head to stick on my a3 block.
Also thought about the k24 head. Any input?
thats my setup.

Darton sleeved a3 block with a z1 crank, bought rods and pistons etc etc and fully built supertech a2 head.

depends what your final goal is though

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
are you going to turbo charge your car or whats your plan?
Yes. Eventually. I wanted to hold off on any bolt-on's until I knew what engine design I was going with. For obvious reasons like compatibility.

What I have:
1.) air intake
2.)exhaust piping

What I want:
1.) basic bolt-on's
A.) Intake manifold ( possibly turbo manifold, to kill 2 birds with one stone and prepare for turbo)
B.) header
C.)Throttle body
D.)Greddy exhaust tip
2.) Kpro- tune
3.)Front mount intercooler
4.)turbo

Right now I just want to break 200. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to with the new head tune and bolt ons

I want to get my car to mid 300's to 400 hp as the ultimate goal.

·
Banned
1,544 Posts
Yes. Eventually. I wanted to hold off on any bolt-on's until I knew what engine design I was going with. For obvious reasons like compatibility.

What I have:
1.) air intake
2.)exhaust piping

What I want:
1.) basic bolt-on's
A.) RBC Intake manifold
B.) header OR (possibly turbo manifold, to kill 2 birds with one stone and prepare for turbo) <------pick one.
C.)Throttle body
D.)Greddy exhaust tip
2.) Kpro- tune
4.)turbo
blow off valve
wastegate
boost controller
map sensor
vacuum lines
injectors
engine mounts
fuel pump
clutch

these are just the basics.

tons of miscellaneous stuff you will sped money on, so keep a few grand laying around. you will need it.

Right now I just want to break 200. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to with the new head tune and bolt ons

i edited your post with basic info.
for an engine build and a sweet turbo setup, prepare to spend close to 10K at least. for a good quality setup, not a half assed ebay setup.

·
Shazaam
4,601 Posts

What I have:
1.) air intake
2.)exhaust piping

What I want:
1.) basic bolt-on's
A.) Intake manifold ( possibly turbo manifold, to kill 2 birds with one stone and prepare for turbo)
B.) header
C.)Throttle body
D.)Greddy exhaust tip
2.) Kpro- tune
4.)turbo

You need to spend more time reading. Most basic bolt ons becomes useless when you go turbo. An intake manifold and turbo manifold are 2 completely different things, the intake manifold mounts on the intake side and the turbo manifold mounts on the exhaust side(replacing the "header"/exhaust manifold). The throttle body is worthless until you start making big power. An exhaust tip is just that, a tip, I think you mean cat back. Get KPRO first. You cannot run a front mount intercooler prior to going turbo so those two steps should be the same step.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
There's a lot of :face: in here
:thumbsdow

Instead of providing some beneficial input you come through arrogantly placing yourself on a little stage of superiority. Comments like that are of absolutely no use. I'm starting to get the impression a larger majority than not of rsx owners are ignorant jerks with a superiority complex they hadn't realized they'd gotten from being lied to as children. This scene is wrecked.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts