Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short - I have a 2006 type S that I bought from an owner who decided to continue to drive the car with an overheating motor, resulting in both the head and the block warping. To sum things up, I kept some of the bolt ons from the motor and went ahead and found a good deal on a K20A2 bottom end and a K20Z1 head. I freshened up both the head and block with all OEM parts including rings, bearings, valve seals, head gasket, etc, etc.

So once the car warms up, the oil light will start to flash, then shortly after it will stay lit. If I tap the gas or rev the car up, the light goes away, but as soon as it falls back to idle, the light illuminated again. I also get what seems to be whether a timing chain slap noise or a VTC actuator noise both of startup and at certain RPMs while driving. The VTC actuator is brand new OEM.

The oil pump, oil pump guides, oil pump chain, oil pump chain tensioner, timing chain, timing chain guides and timing chain tensioner are all brand new OEM.

I thought at first that maybe it was just an oil pressure switch problem, so I bought a new switch, but that didn’t do it, so I hooked up the oil pressure gauge in place of the switch and read the oil pressure.

According to the FSM, the oil pressure at idle should be 10 psi at minimum and 40 psi at 3,000 RPMs at minimum. Well, my idle pressure was around 4 psi and my 3,000 RPM pressure was around 25 psi, so my oil pressure is definitely lower than allowed.

As dumb as it may sound, I thought about just trying to shim the pump to bump up the oil pressure, but maybe I should just find the real issue it’s having.

Also, I changed the oil and put 10w40 in it to see if that would help, and it did not.

I’m not exactly sure where to continue going about this, so any help or advice is appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

- DJ

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think you might be missing one of the vtec spring in the head. im not sure what its called but its inside the rocker arm in the head. Same thing happen to someone i know too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think you might be missing one of the vtec spring in the head. im not sure what its called but its inside the rocker arm in the head. Same thing happen to someone i know too.
I’m not really sure exactly what you’re talking about. Anyway you could point me in the direction of a diagram or something?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts