Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well, i finally decided to get a K20A2 and swap out my A3; its been 97k slow miles :rolleyes:

anyways, i have a deal on a complete longblock, accs, and ECU and 6 speed. the reason im swapping is
A - my 3rd gear is totally gone
B - the motor going in was driven by an old fart for only 57k
C - rebuilding the tranny or getting a 6 speed and rebuilding it would be around 2k
D - i hate the 'fake' VTEC in my base

i know i have to do some rewiring to the knock sensor, or get a Type S harness, and the motor owner said something about needing a shifter cable. i HAD k-pro on a Type S ECU that got stolen along with some other stuff from my car, so im back to my stock 5spd ECU.

engine mod list currently on my car...

Injen CAI for 5 speed (ill modify it)
'06 Type S header, b-pipe, cat, and muffler

im thinking of goint this route...

K-Pro my 5 speed ECU and run Hondata #4 for Type S
K20A2 and 6MT tranny put in, K20A3 out
swap whatever acc's i'd need (can i reuse any from my A3?)
shifter cable (s?)
modify wiring harness (im good w/ electrical work)
CRSX RBC intake manifold + Hondata IMG
ES motor mounts and maybe Ingals TD (A3 wheelhops like a BIIITCH)
???
profit!

then on to suspension but that doesnt matter here. i'd rather spend more on a lower mileage swap than pay 1k for a new tranny and then do the 110k maintenance and STILL only have base level performance.

am i missing any misc stuff? and also, should i go with a Type S gauge cluster? i know my speedo and tach may be off, not sure though.

im not a n00b at swapping engines, F/I, or tuning, but i am a n00b at K-series swaps and want to get this all right from the get-go. thanks for any help! :thumbsup:

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
well, i finally decided to get a K20A2 and swap out my A3; its been 97k slow miles :rolleyes:

anyways, i have a deal on a complete longblock, accs, and ECU and 6 speed. the reason im swapping is
A - my 3rd gear is totally gone
B - the motor going in was driven by an old fart for only 57k
C - rebuilding the tranny or getting a 6 speed and rebuilding it would be around 2k
D - i hate the 'fake' VTEC in my base

i know i have to do some rewiring to the knock sensor, or get a Type S harness, and the motor owner said something about needing a shifter cable. i HAD k-pro on a Type S ECU that got stolen along with some other stuff from my car, so im back to my stock 5spd ECU.

engine mod list currently on my car...

Injen CAI for 5 speed (ill modify it)
'06 Type S header, b-pipe, cat, and muffler

im thinking of goint this route...

K-Pro my 5 speed ECU and run Hondata #4 for Type S
K20A2 and 6MT tranny put in, K20A3 out
swap whatever acc's i'd need (can i reuse any from my A3?)
shifter cable (s?)
modify wiring harness (im good w/ electrical work)
CRSX RBC intake manifold + Hondata IMG
ES motor mounts and maybe Ingals TD (A3 wheelhops like a BIIITCH)
???
profit!

then on to suspension but that doesnt matter here. i'd rather spend more on a lower mileage swap than pay 1k for a new tranny and then do the 110k maintenance and STILL only have base level performance.

am i missing any misc stuff? and also, should i go with a Type S gauge cluster? i know my speedo and tach may be off, not sure though.

im not a n00b at swapping engines, F/I, or tuning, but i am a n00b at K-series swaps and want to get this all right from the get-go. thanks for any help! :thumbsup:
Good job on getting rid of the A3 sounds like you have basics down at least the RBC mani FTW prob might want to just get a new CAI instead of modifying your current one. Im not sure about the shifter cables wont you need a new gearbox? Im not to familiar with this switch but im sure karcepts has direct bolt ons.

·
Registered
535 Posts
i just had davisj3537 on here do a k24a2 full swap for me locally on my base... we reused the shifter cables from the base... i had a 6speed tranny put in and was able to use the oem 5sp gear box... i used alot of things from my old a3 including ac/belts/alternator etc... as far as modifying the harness... i think its very minmal.. maybe just extended some wires but then again not 100% sure cuz i didn't turn any wrenches on it at all

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good job on getting rid of the A3 sounds like you have basics down at least the RBC mani FTW prob might want to just get a new CAI instead of modifying your current one. Im not sure about the shifter cables wont you need a new gearbox? Im not to familiar with this switch but im sure karcepts has direct bolt ons.
thx both you guys;

i have a 02-04 5 speed / 6 speed Revo adjustable SS; works for either model so im :thumbsup: there.

as far as the CAI im giving it away with the motor, and going with Hondata reflash #4 (then k-pro again when i save up the cash on the side) and a simple Injen CAI as well as the 05/06 exhaust already on the car.

next step is suspension, RBC IM, Stg 3 cams, K-Pro (again), and a tune. then final cosmetics. i hope to retire this car in about 18 months to nothing but summer and track driving.

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
thx both you guys;

i have a 02-04 5 speed / 6 speed Revo adjustable SS; works for either model so im :thumbsup: there.

as far as the CAI im giving it away with the motor, and going with Hondata reflash #4 (then k-pro again when i save up the cash on the side) and a simple Injen CAI as well as the 05/06 exhaust already on the car.

next step is suspension, RBC IM, Stg 3 cams, K-Pro (again), and a tune. then final cosmetics. i hope to retire this car in about 18 months to nothing but summer and track driving.
Sounds good what type of coilovers do you plan on getting? Do you plan on getting a RH? Good luck with the swap keep us updated :thumbsup:

·
Rise Above
4,557 Posts
underpants gnomes...:thumbsup:

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good what type of coilovers do you plan on getting? Do you plan on getting a RH? Good luck with the swap keep us updated :thumbsup:
lol ive had an eibach pro kit almost as long as ive had the car; STILL not on :rotfl:

roads SUCK around here and this aint no sports car so i just want a stiffer suspension i can live with and a minute drop. no RH or change of exhaust, im sticking with the 05/06 Type S exhaust. rather save the dough for my TT 300ZX.

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
Nice I plan on swaping in a K20a2 as well but im keeping my tranny for boost. Im getting K-pro in 2 months so I should be good there as well.

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
lol ive had an eibach pro kit almost as long as ive had the car; STILL not on :rotfl:

roads SUCK around here and this aint no sports car so i just want a stiffer suspension i can live with and a minute drop. no RH or change of exhaust, im sticking with the 05/06 Type S exhaust. rather save the dough for my TT 300ZX.
TT 300ZX in for pics any updates?

·
I fight for the SYSTEM
18,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
TT 300ZX in for pics any updates?
no new pics, its been in storage for 8 months while i build up all the parts i need, motor has a BAD knock.

so far i have...

JDM motor 44k miles comp. tested PERFECT
Sport 530BB turbo's
Deatschwerk 550cc injectors/new fuel rail
AshSpec ECU reflash
2 stg boost controller (wired into suspension sport/track mode, from 9lb to 18lb)
new OEM cabin adjustable shocks
eibach pro-kit
megan downpipes
megan test pipes
EDT side mount intercoolers (2x stockers)
AshSpec F/R big brake kit/SS brake lines
17" rims to fit the BBK
all new leather interior, black/red stitched perforated leather, red stitched Z logos
Greddy front bumper, urethane (stock bumper is cracked to shit)
Stillen Type II wing (stock foam one peeled off lol)
AMZ full pully kit (11lbs vs 32lbs stock)
Z1 11lb aluminum driveshaft vs 32 lb stock

i still need...
Energy Suspension full suspension parts (bout $500 worth)
rear HICAS power steering hose (not needed but i want HICAS rear steering to work perfectly)
TIRES, 275-F 295-R and super sticky
paint job, have one lined up for $1500
new T-tops, mine are bent to shit

im waiting on 2 parts for the motor work (belts) and for the prev. owner to get back from iraq to get the title notarized (never got his siggy stamped/sealed). im not doing any of the suspension/power steering/bushing/brake work myself, motor work is 100% me tho, i expect to have it ready and tuned by march, should push around 480-510 WHP and matching torque with less turbo lag than stock :thumbsup:

my plan is a 500 HP sports car built to MY specs for 11k total cost, so far im right on budget give or take $500. GF LOVES the 300ZX so i might give it to her upon graduation, we have identical taste in cars lol.

heres an old PS'd pic when i first bought it last Oct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts