Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i bought a used 06 type s with 126k miles. i didnt notice it until two weeks after i bought it that it burns a quart of oil a week. can anyone give me some advice if theres a way to get get it to stop burning so much oil. i really dont want to put a new motor in the car

·
Registered
245 Posts
you need to first figure out if it really burns the oil first. If your car burns oils the exhaust gas color should easily tell you. If the cylinders and piston rings are the reason it burns oil, then you can rebuild maybe... to save the motor. get a shortblock? oil can also be burned if the valve stem seals are worn...

an overheated burns and leak oil, so since you bought it, used private sale im guessing, you can ask that guy to uncover the truth about what he did to the car, unless you knew he sold you a lemon and is now avoiding all contact.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't want to state the obvious, but you want to make sure there are no leaks anywhere. Even if there's no puddle on the ground below, take a look around the engine bay for anything that doesn't look right. Valve cover is a common area where oil might spurt out if the gasket is bad, for instance, or maybe the coil/sparkplug o-rings are bad.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
"Burns a quart of oil a week" is rather ambiguous. How many miles are we talking about during that time?

As already suggested, look for leaks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the suggestions. it does not have any puddles, it does not show signs of any leaks around oil pan,rear/front main etc. i looked all around the valve cover and there was some oil from when i spilled some but i brake cleanered it off about two weeks ago and it doesnt show sings of leaking form there either... and i bought it from a used whole sale dealership as is because i couldnt afford the add on warrenty. should i try changing the valve cover gasket and see if that helps or just start looking for a short/long block

·
MECP Installer
496 Posts
you need to do some diagnostics. Leak down, compression (wet and dry), pulling any codes, etc. You won't know what to do or what needs doing until you know where the problems are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts