Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is blown. Not sure specifically what is wrong.

I am considering going k24/k20 build or Stock K20. Is the first option legal in CA? Ref? Smog?

Also what is the price difference, between these two options? And what additional parts would be needed?

I have a 2006 Rsx Type S.

Thank you for helping me

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
A frank motor might pass smog, but if the tech notices, he's going to send you to a state ref to get BAR'd, and the frank definitely won't pass that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was reading on the forum that the K24 was legal if acquired from a tsx or accord.

Was this only for other states?
There is no way to have k24/k20 in CA legally?
I think I read about kpro for smog, but from what it seems, if you get ref'd, then it's game over.

If it's truly illegal, I'll go stock k20.
I contacted shops recently to get quote on price but none of the shops could source anything they would warranty, so I'm trying to find one rn.

Any recommendations on where to search?

Also, I have another k20 from my previous rsx which was rear ended by a drunk driver.
I've thought of using this engine but have few doubts

Approx: 115k on engine and sitting inside old rsx engine bay for few years now.
Wdyt?

Thank you for your advice bro

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
You can legally swap a full k24, just not a frank motor. I don't know how people manage to get their swap running and BAR certified without Kpro though.

If it's just smog you're worried about, Kpro can force the emissions codes but like I said before, if a smog tech notices that it's not the factory motor, he's going to send you to a ref. Unless you find a dirty smog guy of course.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts