Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
The TSX and Accord k24s should pass as long as you have all the emissions & correct ECU installed. The Element and CRV blocks will not because they are considered "light truck" motors.

Cali FTL...

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,867 Posts
If you have Comptech tune your SC K20 they can load a CARB approved tune into your KPro and then they will lock it... you then have a CARB approved KPro (as long as the locked tune is installed).

·
Section 8
1,556 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
The TSX and Accord k24s should pass as long as you have all the emissions & correct ECU installed. The Element and CRV blocks will not because they are considered "light truck" motors.

Cali FTL...
I was specifically asking about the frank motor : If a "block swap" from an Accord could be legal in CA/ would pass state inspection. I would keep the stock Type S head. From my research on the ARB website, HEAD swaps are illegal, but not specifically changing the block.
I wouldnt want to go through the trouble of changing out the block, then finding out :stop: it doesnt pass inspection. I would likely keep my K20 ECU b/c it matches the head.
CARB:shooting:

·
Bar'd TWICE
2,716 Posts
the only complete k24's you can put in are the accord and tsx. swapping heads is illegal, but what the ref doesn't know will not hurt you.

the k comes stock in your car, they will give you less shit than somebody in any other type of honda

·
STEALTH S
760 Posts
So basically what you guys are saying is that a K20a2 head on a k24a3/k24a4 block with a type s ecu will NOT pass a State Ref???

·
K24 > K20
4,605 Posts
Why are you even worried about reffing a K series? I think if you put everything to stock when it comes times for smog that motor should pass the sniffer test.
its not about passing a sniffer, if you visited the REF, you'd know they enjoy examining every nut and bolt under the hood. If ANYTHING looks out of place they fail you. They lovvvveee failing you.

·
Low Flying Whore Ron
1,001,867 Posts
if they check the head stamp it fails, if they check the ecu it fails, if they find anything in the fuel, emissions, and exhaust they dont like it fails.
but remember as of now there is no more State Ref:thumbsup:

I would think that if you took your Type S and replaced the block with a K-24 and got it tuned... I think you would be ok as long as it passed the sniffer. I don't think your average smog shop is going to catch the block being a K24. this scenario would mean using a stock exhaust and cat to pass though.

·
K24 > K20
4,605 Posts
but remember as of now there is no more State Ref:thumbsup:

I would think that if you took your Type S and replaced the block with a K-24 and got it tuned... I think you would be ok as long as it passed the sniffer. I don't think your average smog shop is going to catch the block being a K24. this scenario would mean using a stock exhaust and cat to pass though.
State ref is only disabled for the time being, dont count on it being gone forever. But generally your right, nobody is going to notice the head sitting 19.7mm higher.

·
Bar'd TWICE
2,716 Posts
if they check the head stamp it fails, if they check the ecu it fails, if they find anything in the fuel, emissions, and exhaust they dont like it fails.
wrong, they do not check your head stamp, just the block stamp. they do not check the vin number on the ecu or the block. only the stamp.

they only see if you have the right intake manifold, header, all the hoses are hooked up. and if your after market parts are carb approved. the other tests are a smog and to check if you are throwing any check engine codes, they do not care about the srs light.

if you are only going in for a emissions and not a exhaust noise test, they will not fail you if you have a 2.5 inch pipe from the cat to the exhaust.

·
K24 > K20
4,605 Posts
wrong, they do not check your head stamp, just the block stamp. they do not check the vin number on the ecu or the block. only the stamp.

they only see if you have the right intake manifold, header, all the hoses are hooked up. and if your after market parts are carb approved. the other tests are a smog and to check if you are throwing any check engine codes, they do not care about the srs light.

if you are only going in for a emissions and not a exhaust noise test, they will not fail you if you have a 2.5 inch pipe from the cat to the exhaust.
hmm, that wasnt the situation when i failed state ref... Maybe my ref was a bit more anal, but he and his team of minions checked the head, block, ran the VIN's and everything.

·
Team Drastic
1,912 Posts
its not about passing a sniffer, if you visited the REF, you'd know they enjoy examining every nut and bolt under the hood. If ANYTHING looks out of place they fail you. They lovvvveee failing you.
*Didn't notice I just repeated what was already said*
Yeah it would never pass a visual to a ref, but I am willing to bet if you take it to your average smog stop they would visually not be able to tell a difference, and it would more then likely pass the sniffer.

But you are 100% right at the ref they are trained to catch people trying to beat the system.

·
Banned
6,586 Posts
damn you guys have to deal with some gay shit out in cali, thank god im in ny
Yea we do have to deal with alot of shit but its what we get in exchange for great weather. If you have ever been to LA everyone drives and commutes freeways are always packed which creates more smog so thats why were so regulated wish we had a better public transportation system lik Ny.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
ive been out to cali many times...both the la area and out in the middle of the desert(29 palms). i love california but i dont know if i could ever live there. people think that ny is packed with people but holy shit cali is a busy place lol. but man i love those beaches, pacific is so much nicer than the atlantic ocean

·
Sacked!!
2,031 Posts
State refs know it all. they know every trick and such that are done to try to slide by with an incorrect engine. They know MUCH more than you people think. A State Ref is one of my instructors. its all a matter of catching one on a good day...

·
Team Drastic
1,912 Posts
ive been out to cali many times...both the la area and out in the middle of the desert(29 palms). i love california but i dont know if i could ever live there. people think that ny is packed with people but holy shit cali is a busy place lol. but man i love those beaches, pacific is so much nicer than the atlantic ocean
Yeah, but that is the busiest area or CA, go north a bit and its a little less hectic. But you can't beat our beaches

21 - 40 of 63 Posts