Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
Why would you put a head that can handle 9000+rpm on a block that redlines 6500?

It will give you some tq, but unless it is a fully built 2.4 and can rev to 8,000+ I think it is a waste of time. It will never rev high enough to let the head breath.

It's a good idea for a boost application though.

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
the k24 has a massive stroke, 99 i believe, combined with a type S head..revving over 8k with such a large stroke, the piston on the cylinder wall friction would be ridiculously high and u can say bye to ur internals, unless of course as eddie said u build it up with some forged internals..

·
newadventuresinhardcore
310 Posts
I agree that you can't rev as high with this setup AND I agree that it would be ideal for a boost BUT I disagree that this mod is a "waste of time." Check out this article for a similar setup. There is a lot of nice torque to be had with the K24 block.

Here is an article from a similar setup (2nd article down "Hybrid How To")

http://www.ivtecdaily.com/rsx/tunedEPArticles.html

cheers

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
I saw it....but that's alot of money just to get 30 ft lbs, and I couldn't imagine not being able to reeeeeev any more.:)

·
Registered
5,292 Posts
It's not a waste of money, but that money would have been better spent going towards a TSX block.

Still, you'll see a nice torque increase. Watch the revs, you don't want to throw a rod.

·
Registered
949 Posts
conekilla said:
I agree that you can't rev as high with this setup AND I agree that it would be ideal for a boost BUT I disagree that this mod is a "waste of time." Check out this article for a similar setup. There is a lot of nice torque to be had with the K24 block.

Here is an article from a similar setup (2nd article down "Hybrid How To")

http://www.ivtecdaily.com/rsx/tunedEPArticles.html

cheers
Does anyone know exactly what the k24 had done to it? I know it said type r cams, type s head, and hondata but what about i/h/e? If that thing was on the stock header and stock intake manifold, it would really make some good power once you put a header on it.

·
Registered
949 Posts
eddie123 said:
It will give you some tq, but unless it is a fully built 2.4 and can rev to 8,000+ I think it is a waste of time. It will never rev high enough to let the head breath.
Not true at all. You have to remember the piston speeds are MUCH higher with this motor so it pulls a lot more air a lot earlier than the k20. High rpm really has nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Consider destroking it with an f22c crank. 2.2 liter.

·
TeamDC5
544 Posts
JTSmith said:
Does anyone know exactly what the k24 had done to it? I know it said type r cams, type s head, and hondata but what about i/h/e? If that thing was on the stock header and stock intake manifold, it would really make some good power once you put a header on it.
i believe that test car had type R cams, type S head, and hondata reflash...no intake and header and exhaust as i remember

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
i don t think u need to rev past 8 gran to make power
as of now i think it will run high 13s or low 14s
ran it again a srt-4 that ran a 14.1
beat it by a car then by half of a car (two out of three)

i think this will be a great set up once someone sells some 12-1 compression pistons

or we can just squeeze 150 direct!

·
Registered
949 Posts
rev-speed said:
i don t think u need to rev past 8 gran to make power
as of now i think it will run high 13s or low 14s
ran it again a srt-4 that ran a 14.1
beat it by a car then by half of a car (two out of three)

i think this will be a great set up once someone sells some 12-1 compression pistons

or we can just squeeze 150 direct!
Nice kill :thumbsup: What rpm where you shifting at when you raced the neon?

Oh and payntechnologies sells some 11.7:1 k24 wiseco pistons for $489 with pins and rings. He doesn't have them listed on the site, but you can call them and talk to Tom. He's pretty cool and he really knows his stuff.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JTSmith said:
Nice kill :thumbsup: What rpm where you shifting at when you raced the neon?

Oh and payntechnologies sells some 11.7:1 k24 wiseco pistons for $489 with pins and rings. He doesn't have them listed on the site, but you can call them and talk to Tom. He's pretty cool and he really knows his stuff.
8000 rpm is where we kept the shift point

im also wondering alot of people said that because the rods and rod bolts
u can t rev high.
well when i took apart the k20 its rods r bigger than my b-serise crowers
and the rod bolts r bigger that arps
but because of the stroke we ill just let someone else rev higher first!

dam i wish we could of known about the wiseco pistons!
dam k motors r alot harder to work on!

·
Registered
949 Posts
rev-speed said:
8000 rpm is where we kept the shift point

im also wondering alot of people said that because the rods and rod bolts
u can t rev high.
well when i took apart the k20 its rods r bigger than my b-serise crowers
and the rod bolts r bigger that arps
but because of the stroke we ill just let someone else rev higher first!

dam i wish we could of known about the wiseco pistons!
dam k motors r alot harder to work on!
Where did you guys get the motor from? Was it a shortblock or longblock?

I really want to find a shortblock(or longblock if it's cheap enough) for a decent price, but I just haven't been able to find anything for under $1200.

·
Skepticism Extraodinaire
1,522 Posts
I'm sure the TSX shortblock would be ALOT more expensive, that would be hot though.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.