Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I've lost compression in a cylinder in my reflashed 02 base auto.

I had plans to do a proper k24/6speed swap BUT I bought a new car instead (couldn't pass the deal up) and am house shopping right now, so funds are limited.

I've read all over that the k24a1 is a direct bolt up to the base auto transmission and that the stock base auto ECU works fine for the added flow.

My ECU is reflashed, however. Would this still work? Can I unflash if I need to?

I'm interested in the k24a1 right now because it allows me to keep everything else the same but with the option to swap an a2 head/6speed/kpro etc later on.

Thanks for any input! If this is a no go I'll just put another k20a3 in :( and k24a2 properly later.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Always on TDY...
2,199 Posts
Thanks, I figured the unflash would be the easiest part. I wish I could confirm it would work with the A1, maybe I risk it and if it runs funny I unflash lol
I was kinda thinking the same thing! Worth a shot... I'd follow up with a dealer though to insure you have a means to reset ECU back to stock in any event. Our cars are much older... Going on 15 years of age here.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was kinda thinking the same thing! Worth a shot... I'd follow up with a dealer though to insure you have a means to reset ECU back to stock in any event. Our cars are much older... Going on 15 years of age here.
Haha just thinking about it though, I think it’s going to be a recipe for disaster. The car will probably run super lean and destroy itself - even with type-s injectors.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
Interesting conundrum. Are you running the Type-S injectors now? If so, does it run like normal, or do you get lower mpgs than expected/before? Maybe it will work... Or maybe run RDX injectors, haha. I laugh because we are trying to cheaply get around what should be done (Kpro), but I get it -- I like to mod with what I have as well.

nats has a good idea/point that if you can confirm with a dealer first they can reprogram an ECU, you won't have to pay Hondata $75 and pay to ship your ECU out (although it may costs nearly the same or more for Acura to do it...). You could also procure (purchase) another stock AT ECU and swap it in if the reflash runs hokey, and try to sell the reflash for a profit (although you'll have to pay Acura to re-pair the immobilizer... eh, not getting ahead here...).

Anyways, if the stock ECU will work fine, who's to say the reflashed one will really blow it up... I mean, it's not a wildly different tune (right?) so you might be fine with either... (But that's me saying that over a keyboard with no investment in the time and money it will take you to install a K24a1. I'd do a lot a research before I'd risk it, but it sounds exciting! :D)

·
Always on TDY...
2,199 Posts
^ second!

Kpro is also a valid option especially with this current scenario... Other than price, it's a win win for any future upgrades that may arise.

I look back and had a solid plan for my car. All I wanted was simple JRSC running with a relfash/powercard back then. I'm beyond glad I broke down and got KPRO as it allowed me flexibility...

Best investment I've ever made for this car... I want v4, but can't fathom paying for it even though I could really benefit from it. It's on my list, but have competing priorities.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I’m quickly realizing kpro is a must. I️ spoke to Joel at driven about fabricating a harness because if I’m going to spend 1k on an a1 I should just get the a2 and night the bullet now :(. I’ve added up all the costs and parts and I’m at 4k already ugghhh

·
Always on TDY...
2,199 Posts
Yeah I’m quickly realizing kpro is a must. I️ spoke to Joel at driven about fabricating a harness because if I’m going to spend 1k on an a1 I should just get the a2 and night the bullet now :(. I’ve added up all the costs and parts and I’m at 4k already ugghhh
Damn... For that amount, I'd recommend a k24a2 (~ $1000) + 6speed transmission (~$1000) + k20a2 ECU ($700) w/ Kpro upagrade ($400 based on have a qualified reflash already) and be set! Would be worth every penny and the car would be transformed

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Damn... For that amount, I'd recommend a k24a2 (~ $1000) + 6speed transmission (~$1000) + k20a2 ECU ($700) w/ Kpro upagrade ($400 based on have a qualified reflash already) and be set! Would be worth every penny and the car would be transformed

The 6speed is definitely next!

But so far I'm at

k24a2 (04-05): $1150
CRV mount: $100
Serpentine belt: $25
Type-S intake (short ram for ease): $150
Exhaust (Q300): $500
RSX Type-S throttle body: $150
Header (undecided): $300
Tune (Church auto): $500
Kpro: $900
Harness: $400
Misc (oil, spark plugs, etc): $200

:( That's over 4k! And I'd still need to pay someone to put it in (ksmatic where you at, lol)

Without the 6speed and associated parts I could save 1k and drop it in later easily. I just want to get an engine in and drive, and I'm sure I'll be thrilled with the added power for now auto or not.

·
Always on TDY...
2,199 Posts
The 6speed is definitely next!

But so far I'm at

k24a2 (04-05): $1150
CRV mount: $100
Serpentine belt: $25
Type-S intake (short ram for ease): $150
Exhaust (Q300): $500
RSX Type-S throttle body: $150
Header (undecided): $300
Tune (Church auto): $500
Kpro: $900
Harness: $400
Misc (oil, spark plugs, etc): $200

:( That's over 4k! And I'd still need to pay someone to put it in (ksmatic where you at, lol)

Without the 6speed and associated parts I could save 1k and drop it in later easily. I just want to get an engine in and drive, and I'm sure I'll be thrilled with the added power for now auto or not.
Got ya... It does add up. List looks good and I do recall having to swap in a modified k20 oil pump into my k24a2. It took a long time to get my car back up. Spent 6 months buying parts to get it running and another 6 months resolving issues.

My advice... Be patient, it'll work out lol. The end result is well worth it.

·
05 Type S RH Reflash LSD
2,204 Posts
no! save your money and K24a1 the AT! I wanna see this thing! :p. but seriously, it is so much money, but it would be money, haha :thumbsup:. If you can safely achieve/run the K24a1 and do any and everything else you want to do to it later down the line, that would be awesome. It would be a fun mod progression, but again, I'm not the one breaking my back, trying to do a headswap in the car (that is possible, right? I guess if at that point you are swapping out the tranny, you could pull the motor [again] for your franking purposes, but what do I know).

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Got ya... It does add up. List looks good and I do recall having to swap in a modified k20 oil pump into my k24a2. It took a long time to get my car back up. Spent 6 months buying parts to get it running and another 6 months resolving issues.

My advice... Be patient, it'll work out lol. The end result is well worth it.
I was excited by the idea of a swap but as you saw my engine might be ok, lol! I read that the k20 oil pump is only necessary if you're a constant high revver and/or want to save weight because it eliminates the counterbalance shafts (?). Either way, 99% of people would be fine with the k24 oil pump in normal/sporty driving.

no! save your money and K24a1 the AT! I wanna see this thing! :p. but seriously, it is so much money, but it would be money, haha :thumbsup:. If you can safely achieve/run the K24a1 and do any and everything else you want to do to it later down the line, that would be awesome. It would be a fun mod progression, but again, I'm not the one breaking my back, trying to do a headswap in the car (that is possible, right? I guess if at that point you are swapping out the tranny, you could pull the motor [again] for your franking purposes, but what do I know).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts