Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
After 90,000+ miles with K20a3 and turbo setup with Greddy turbo/mani, the manifold finally cracked and the turbo oil seals started to leak. parts were getting old and leaking oil from worn valve cover seal, spark plug tube seals, oil lines wearing out, etc etc with an aging turbo setup.

The motor and tranny still ran fine, just mostly wear and tear on the boost parts. i now wanted to run a stock motor without worry about maintenance hassles. Also, my a/c compressor went out so decided to take the car to shop anyways.

The k20a3 had a total of 125,000. ~90k was boosted.

I decided to do a 08 TSX K24A2 motor swap and still retain the Automatic tranny. (before i heard about Hasport making a A2M bracket:mad:)

Most of the swap was straightforward and i had the shop clean the oil mess from the leaks while it was out.

OLD: Greddy T517z turbo/manifold, 3" Dp, 3" exhaust, 12-14psi, custom intercooler setup, RBC. 260+whp.

NEW: 08 K24A2 TSX longblock w/ 22k miles, Megan header/testpipe combo, Greddy Evo TT exhaust, Injen SRI, unmodified RBC.

Kpro had minor tweaks on the base TSX map but still not dyno tuned yet.

Special thanks to Secret Services Auto, Houston TX for a timely install and CLEAN install. They cleaned a lot of my other parts, ie. subframe, tranny, misc parts, via subsonic bath without me even asking or paying for it! Very fair on pricing esp the mess they had to work with

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Interesting...Did not know it was really possible, props for pulling it off. Do you have any pics or steps from the install? In for numbers sometime

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its really no different from any other swap. tranny mounts up the same way as with any K-series. Of course u need the typical k24 parts like CRV mount for passenger side.

Car drives great btw. Down low is very torquey like i still have the turbo setup, but up top is not-so turbo lol. 3rd gear is forever haha. With turbo, rpms fly through like crazy, thats the only part i miss. But 0-60 is great!

Evo TT is kinda loud without the turbo now, cant stand the loudness. Gonna get the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator installed sometime soon.

I wanted to use a race header but funds were kinda stretched and i was unsure whether or not it would fit with my hotchkis front sway, due to the taller engine block.

Oh i had to trim the hood just slightly to clear the ep3 a/c line and raised the hood latch just a bit.

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just reading your sig a bit, but you have something like this correct?

http://www.importperformancetrans.c...speed-auto-performance-transmission-4249.html

Not a factory base auto transmission?

yes that was the company that built my tranny. i bought a spare trans way back then for $200 from a junk yard, had 19k miles on it. sent it to Ipt, they built it for $3k with a torque convertor upgrade. Helped greatly with the turbo setup.

But with a stock k24a2, a stock auto trans would be sufficient.

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You have given me hope that I can make my base auto better.

What did you need to run this?
How much did it roughly cost you?
First and foremost, you need kpro on the auto, which requires a dual ecu harness. i was the first to fabricate my own harness, with the help of Doug from Hondata.

Second, i found a k24a2 2008, 22k miles, for $2200 shipped.

Then whatever upgrades you want. ie. rbc, type-s throttle body, etc etc

Costed a total about $5k including $2k labor. Labor was extensive due to the mess the turbo setup caused. Not to mention A/C diagnoses and repair.

Not for the faint of wallet unfortunately. If i had known about the Hasport A2M bracket, i would probably went with a 6spd manual swap also. Will save that for down the road.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
First and foremost, you need kpro on the auto, which requires a dual ecu harness. i was the first to fabricate my own harness, with the help of Doug from Hondata.

Costed a total about $5k including $2k labor. Labor was extensive due to the mess the turbo setup caused. Not to mention A/C diagnoses and repair.

Not for the faint of wallet unfortunately. If i had known about the Hasport A2M bracket, i would probably went with a 6spd manual swap also. Will save that for down the road.
:eek: You got in contact with someone at hondata!!! lol lol lol :troll:

but hats off to you bro, +1 for being different and not following everyone else out there that does the same old thing :coffee:

·
Premium Member
3,816 Posts

:awwyea: Thats roughly my budget for this winter

·
Registered
15,360 Posts
Props for pulling it off. I'd always suspected that it would be a pretty simple swap to do in an auto (other than the typical auto kpro stuff). Glad to hear it worked out well for you :thumbsup:

·
OG Base Crew
4,118 Posts
Still in for numbers to really see if/by how much the auto transmission is holding the K24 back. Truthfully it might not be by a lot as you had some work done to the trans first, any plans to dyno it soon?

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Def will get it dyno tuned, not sure when though. pretty busy schedule ahead for me.

A/f ratios are 10.1 at full throttle, which i think is way too rich. But i'm not a tuner to know lol.

Thanks for all the props guys :) Again, the goal for this is to be a nice DD, not a powerhouse. but very tempted to do something with this new platform haha.

Just installed the Vibrant Ultra Quiet resonator to help quell the noise down.

·
Registered
487 Posts
have you had any electrical problems? i did the same swap in my 03 type s and now my reverse lights don't turn on and when i'm driving, the "brake" light flashes on the gauge cluster like if my e-brake was pulled.

·
13,138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
have you had any electrical problems? i did the same swap in my 03 type s and now my reverse lights don't turn on and when i'm driving, the "brake" light flashes on the gauge cluster like if my e-brake was pulled.
No because my auto ecu is controlling the multiplexor.

Your ebrake and brake lights dont work because multiplexor issues. I believe swapping some wires around on the ecu plugs will alleviate the issue. Not sure but Hasport is finding ways to resolve that.

·
Wants the Boost
347 Posts
Props on the Base upgrade! I was thinking of doing an engine swap too, I just can't find a good shop here in KS. Might just take the $4-5k and trade my car in for a new one....350Z maybe?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts