Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently bought a kit off a fellow member off here cuz the price was right and he had top of line parts and ive been saving to go boost for a while now. The kit is coming with a Garrett GT3582r ball bearing turbo. This kit will be going on my street driven and current daily RSX with the following mods:

06 Base RSX
Stock K24A2 Full Swap (06' Block - 04' Head)
Stock 5-Speed Trans
50* VTC
Type S Oil Pump
I/H/E
KTuner

I Plan on running the kit at a modest 8lbs due to having stock internals. This is my first boosted car so i only want around 350hp or so to start with. My question is should i run with the GT35 at such low boost or should i sell/trade for smaller, faster spooling turbo to reach my goals? I know this turbo is capable of much more and less effecient at this hp/psi range. Thanks for any input in advance. Here is a link to the turbo kit if you want to check out the parts list. . .

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=1147026

·
Super Moderator
23,884 Posts
if you're goals are only 8lbs of boost then yes that turbo is a hell of an over kill.....

You won't use any of that turbo's potential let alone spool it till mid/end of power band.

But if it came with the kit I'd just rock it cause we all know 8psi won't be enough for you and you'll crank up the boost.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Run 15psi and call it a day! But with the bob turbo it'll help a lot with lag. I would try it and see what' it's likeZ worse case those turbos are big bucks sell it buy a journal bearing turbo and use the leftover on hookers

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
what made you set on the magical number of 8psi?

just use the 35r and do more psi.
Haha. No voodoo woman gave me that number lol. I just want to keep it low because everything is stock and I want to enjoy boosting on my motor for as long as possible.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Run 15psi and call it a day! But with the bob turbo it'll help a lot with lag. I would try it and see what' it's likeZ worse case those turbos are big bucks sell it buy a journal bearing turbo and use the leftover on hookers
Lol. I like your thinking, ya think my gf would mind the hookers? Im not set on 8psi, i think the kit is coming with a 9.5psi spring in the WG. I just thought 15psi on this turbo would be too much for not being built. I think you're right though, might as well run it first and decide my next move from there.

·
y u mad tho?
6,186 Posts
you need to revolve your goals around what you want to do with the car and what power you would deem adequate for it.

If your goal is 350hp, you can accomplish that with a smaller turbo. A smaller turbo would be more efficient and responsive.

If your goal is something like 400hp low boost and 600hp high boost, then something like a Gt35R would be adequate.

But as it is, a GT35R for 350hp is extreme overkill in my opinion. A gt30r, 5858, s256 would be more adequate for that power goal.

·
y u mad tho?
6,186 Posts
Haha. No voodoo woman gave me that number lol. I just want to keep it low because everything is stock and I want to enjoy boosting on my motor for as long as possible.
Just an FYI even if you keep the power low on stock internals doesnt necessarily mean you wont run into problems with your bottom end. Stock parts are a roll of the dice. People make 500+ on stock bottom ends without problems, some people make less than 400hp and grenade them. Just the name of the game.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Bent a rod at 14 psi on the dyno, stock z1 internals with a 6262. Made 350 on a 8psi spring. Should have left it there:(
But I've heard of people making 400 on stock internals, so yea, a dice roll.

·
y u mad tho?
6,186 Posts
Ive seen threads where people make 500+ on stock internals. In most cases, the stock k20 bottom end is pretty stout. It just depends on how big of balls you got to keep it going while beating it like a 2 dollar hooker

·
Project Mayhem
707 Posts
Find a good tuner, let them sort it out for you, as far as what pai they can tune on your setup safety

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was stock internals k20a2 head/block for two years on gt35r @14.3psi 450whp off w/g. If you have never owned or driven a boosted car, you will have to learn to creep into the throttle. Cannot drive it like a all motor car. That is if you plan on sticking to this being your daily.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts