Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I just got another RSX type s , I had one about 6 years ago but never mod like I wanted because budget and life.. now I have a better budget and garage to spare space on. I would like to build is as an homage to my younger self of some sort. Anyway the RSX was 1700 bucks runs and drives but it is overheated. Its at my bros house in Vegas I'm 400 miles away i ln Phoenix. I saw a k24a4 for sale so i bought it lol. It has RBB-2 head witch I think it's the Tsx head but opened up the head and it had a PND cam. The intake is PRB not sure what that was. Googled it and said si/ep3 idk. I would start at the bottom and work up. Take out oil pan and check oil pump, rods and pistons. Than go from there I would guess. Anyone with an input please let me know. I would like to make close to 300 hp posibbly n2o if current internals can stay. This is a project I would like to drive from time to time on the street for a fun day. Maybe track after I beef up suspension lol thank you in advance.

·
Always on TDY...
2,164 Posts
Your build all depends on your goals. It's not clear the direction you are going with this to me. Are you dropping in the K24 or doing a Frank build?

Overall, I did about 9 months of research to get to my setup. Then spent another 6 months acquiring parts until I could drive it again. I wanted a direct drop in and bolt my S/C with minimal changes to the motor to mimize issues with my build. With that, if you want a direct drop in, K24a2 and K24a1 is what I recall the preferred. if you are doing a Frank (K20 head w/ k24 bottom), the I think any k24 variant was Ok... Don't quote me as I'm not sure.

The information is out there, unfortunately, you have to dig and spend a lot of time searching.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I thought it replied when you posted. I want to keep as much as possible if what I have to do all motor build. A high rev would be nice but not sure on pistons/head combo would wor. Guess I won't know until I open it up. I been searching like crazy for info on the all motor k24 tsx head and type s cam but nothing solid came up.

·
Registered
280 Posts
If you want to help your K24 rev higher I believe you should look into swapping over your type-s oil pump and possibly the oil pan as well. But Personally if you going to do that I say you might as well go for a Frank swap as you essentially have everything you need already with exception of new head gasket (I believe your setup would use the CRV head gasket 12251-PPA-004), and either aftermarket K24 rods and pistons or TSX K24A2 rods and Pistons. If my memory serves me right K24A4 rods and pistons have valve to piston clearance issues with K20 heads but not the K24A2 or aftermarket sets. There's tons of info out there on the Frank builds though so you'll be able to find answers on that.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well got the head off with the help of some guy from 404_crew. I don't know what pistons they are yet but I think something or some contact came in the block. Here are some pictures, let me know what you guys think.

·
Registered
25 Posts
keep the head. no matter what ppl say. its still a vtec head.
you can always hog out the intake and exhaust ports yourself with a porting kit.

the k24a4 doesn't look like it has k24a4 pistons.
curious to what rods you have?
tsx and accord rods where same exact dimensions but TSX was stronger.
use tsx rods if you have them.
somve have a4 rods and running NA and some more CR and it runs fine. adding NOS?...not sure bout that....
if you really want NOS go with forged rods and pistons.
if your on a budget. you can get a combo for about $500 on ebay.
go with 10.1/11.1CR or even 12.1 if you feel froggy.

I would defintly swap out the valve train from that head. possibly get supertech stuff or get new oem valves. get a valve job. drop the head off if you have the $ to a shop. mild port/fresh surface/clean/valve job/replace any valves. paint it. (new head)
the block. I would check journals for scoring. check what rods you have.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok. Sounds good. I will source out some supertech valves and rebuild kit for the valve train from them if available. I am dropping the head off with the supertech stuff so they can re do it while they are at it. I think it would be a lot faster and I would be more comfortable about it. I need some 6 point socket so I can take piston off and look into what they are

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well I got the star socket and got it off. I did a third turn than a third to not break anything. It really looks broken though. Also I hit the inside of the cylinder and I scratched it. Anyway here are some pics. What piston rod is this??

Attachments

·
Registered
25 Posts
hold up son...you got k24a4 with 09+ tsx rods??? thought the pistons fit but not the rods?
pics are terrible but I don't see damage to the rod. the cylinder can be hone and keep same bore size if its nto deep enough. it if is. bore it .20 and get new pistons. new bearigns and throw it back TO GETA

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hold up son...you got k24a4 with 09+ tsx rods??? thought the pistons fit but not the rods?
pics are terrible but I don't see damage to the rod. the cylinder can be hone and keep same bore size if its nto deep enough. it if is. bore it .20 and get new pistons. new bearigns and throw it back TO GETA

1 - 17 of 17 Posts