Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm starting this thread to figure out which platform is better for which gen Rsx. I didn't find a thread debating the two but if there is one please link it. There are smaller threads that talk about them individually but I figure id just make one to discuss the two.

So whoever has input about the pros and cons for each system please share below, Personally I have an 03 type-s and am looking into which one to buy, I've heard that one is better than the other for both systems and some different input would be nice. I know cost is a big factor too when deciding but if one is that much better and makes sense to spend the extra money id like to know.

Either way, hopefully this thread is used and thanks for any input in advance.

·
#Inkpot
5,193 Posts
Just buy K pro. I cant give you a list as to why you should buy K pro, I just know its generally preferred and being you have the PRC ECU, you wont need the extra harness adapter and whatnot.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just buy K pro. I cant give you a list as to why you should buy K pro, I just know its generally preferred and being you have the PRC ECU, you wont need the extra harness adapter and whatnot.
Sure I would like a list if you don't mind posting it here so anyone who comes across this would see id really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
They have the same features, the real difference is cost. Kpro is cheaper for first gens, and Ktuner for second. The other thing to take into consideration is there are more tuners familiar with Kpro, at least that used to be the case.

·
#Inkpot
5,193 Posts
Sure I would like a list if you don't mind posting it here so anyone who comes across this would see id really appreciate it.
Sorry, I had said cant give you a list.

I can give you my personal experience that without having ever touched an open source ECU, K-manager was extremely intuitive and easy to use and I miss it after having used other ECUs on other platforms. I've heard complaints from others that Ktuner isnt as user friendly. Like the above mentioned, Kpro is going to be more widely supported at the tuners.

I dont have any direct experience with Ktuner so I cant say my advice is comprehensive but you will not regret going the Kpro route.

I guess if we werew to try and hobble on together though
  • Reportedly easier to use
  • Potentially cheaper
  • Likely more widely known/used by tuners

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry, I had said cant give you a list.

I can give you my personal experience that without having ever touched an open source ECU, K-manager was extremely intuitive and easy to use and I miss it after having used other ECUs on other platforms. I've heard complaints from others that Ktuner isnt as user friendly. Like the above mentioned, Kpro is going to be more widely supported at the tuners.

I dont have any direct experience with Ktuner so I cant say my advice is comprehensive but you will not regret going the Kpro route.

I guess if we werew to try and hobble on together though
  • Reportedly easier to use
  • Potentially cheaper
  • Likely more widely known/used by tuners
Sorry I misread the post

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After I started this thread I did some additional research (like I should have) and here's what I think it boils down to and, as a user stated its cost, to run Ktuner in the 02-04 is more expensive than Kpro and, run Kpro in the 05-06 is more expensive the Ktuner. Essentially Kpro for 02-04 and Ktuner for 05-06. This being said either platform could be used on either gen, the only difference is trying to run Ktuner on an older gen or Kpro on a newer one is the fact that you will need an ECU and conversion harness. Essentially to run Kpro on a 05-06 you will need an 02-04 ECU and conversion harness the same thing goes for running Ktuner on the older gen. In my opinion, the cost is the biggest factor, Both of these systems have been out for a while (Ktuner being newer) but when it comes to it both platforms do the same thing, so as stated it used to be that most tuners were a lot more comfortable with Kpro, So I gave a couple of tuning shops a call and all of them gave me the same answer, They are comfortable with both and don't have a preference. Now, this is just my case, so While taking cost into consideration id also give local tuning shops a call and find out what they prefer. If you have no local shops, you could go with an E-tune (I'm sure some users on here do it or you should be able to find someone) or depending on your mods use a base map until your able to find a tuner (I think its a lot safer and a much better bet to get a custom tune)

Personally I think I'm going to go with Kpro, I plan on fully learning the platform anyway, and as another user stated it has been reportedly easier to use (Not sure if this is still true but regardless). If anything I said isn't entirely true please correct me, and If anyone has anything to add please do so.

(If a mod comes by this thread please remove the other copies of this post, improper formatting)

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
Are you kidding me? I ran K tuner from it's inception. I ran nitrous, a Jackson racing supercharger, added alcohol injection to help cool the charge, different pulleys including the Frank. I sprayed nitrous for a few years. KTuner was and still is half the price. My car made over 300hp. She's got 175k on her and even after those hours of 9K RPM Dyno runS and countless digs and 40 mph street runs . KTuner performed equal to ,better than KPro, you'll also save big on the 05-06 because I didn't have to find an 04 ECU to run KTuner like all those newer (05-06) KPro guys had to buy

·
Registered
1 Posts
Are you kidding me? I ran K tuner from it's inception. I ran nitrous, a Jackson racing supercharger, added alcohol injection to help cool the charge, different pulleys including the Frank. I sprayed nitrous for a few years. KTuner was and still is half the price. My car made over 300hp. She's got 175k on her and even after those hours of 9K RPM Dyno runS and countless digs and 40 mph street runs . KTuner performed equal to ,better than KPro, you'll also save big on the 05-06 because I didn't have to find an 04 ECU to run KTuner like all those newer (05-06) KPro guys had to buy
I've heard the same thing OP said from most people. I have a 02 type-s, Can you explain why you think Ktuner is so much better and why it's cheaper.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Cmon man so tunners won’t learn how to work on Ktuner knowing they can make money from there too ? That was maybe couple years ago but this days is imposible a good tunner won’t know about Ktuner, haven’t heard the first tunner say it was easier or more difficult is just kinda different

·
#Inkpot
5,193 Posts

Oh hey, the guy that sold a faulty supercharger to my buddy and fell off the face of the earth when he confronted you about it.

Yeah we want your advice.

If you could fucking read, he doesnt have an 05-06 and the price savings you bring up as fodder for your bullshit is inconsequential.

Kpro is better. Go fuck yourself.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Cmon man so tunners won’t learn how to work on Ktuner knowing they can make money from there too ? That was maybe couple years ago but this days is imposible a good tunner won’t know about Ktuner, haven’t heard the first tunner say it was easier or more difficult is just kinda different
Sorry in advance I had to make another account to comment on this thread because for whatever reason any post I make here requires a Mods approval.

Im not sure who this post is in response to because as I stated above I called some shops in my area and non of them had a preference and were comfortable with both, and I agree with you just as another user stated it used to be more people were comfortable with Kpro but now I'm sure any decent tuner is fine with either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh hey, the guy that sold a faulty supercharger to my buddy and fell off the face of the earth when he confronted you about it.

Yeah we want your advice.

If you could fucking read, he doesnt have an 05-06 and the price savings you bring up as fodder for your bullshit is inconsequential.

Kpro is better. Go fuck yourself.
I tried responding to him earlier but I can't post here on my other account so ill use this one.

I don't understand why Ktuner is cheaper, Now for his gen 05-06 I understand, as I stated in the small research post I made, to run it on an 05-06 you don't need anything and the programs do the same thing and I don't see why Ktuner would be cheaper in my case given I would need a conversion harness, ECU and an o2 sensor.

So this is what I've found If I'm wrong please correct me because I'm trying to understand what all the different versions and upgrades do and which makes sense to buy.

2002-2004 (first gen)

Kpro = 695 (unit itself) New or used 300-550 (depends)
Kpro4 upgrade (350$ in my case) and yes I'm new I don't know what the benefit of this is. (optional I think)
I don't quite understand what each of the available upgrade options does (again I'm new to this). price varies

Because I don't know which upgrades are necessary I'm going to say it costs 700 (New) and up. I'm aware it'll cost more than this but again because of the upgradable options I'm just referring to the unit itself.

KtunerV1.2 (no screen display)= 449$ or screen display 650$
Not sure what a used 05-06 ECU would cost maybe 150-250$ used and 350-450$ new
o2 sensor 100-140$
Conversion harness 150-250$

Making Ktuner roughly 1000$ for V1.2 and for the V2 roughly 1200$
For the Ktuner comparison, I found the average range of what things would cost ECU, harness, etc, and took the average cost (Ex. 150-250$ for harness, = 200$). ]

Now there are a bunch of things to consider, First location, depending on where you live this will differ. Shipping and handling will definitely add cost, me being in Canada it'll be quite expensive but that's probably true for anyone outside of the US id think, also tax depending on where you live the price can greatly change but the ratio between the two should be the same. Next, if you plan on running Ktuner the price will also vary depending on what you can find parts for and what deals you can get. Id assume the Ktuner will cost more in labor given it'll require an ECU swap and different harness (I'm guessing) I'm not going to include the o2 sensor because anyone could change that. (Labour doesn't matter if you're installing it yourself.) Now, something to mention is you can find used Kpro a lot easier than Ktuner I've seen a couple pop up every now and then from anywhere between 300-550$ so this can also be an option.

Overall this is a very rough comparison due to the reason I stated above. Logically Kpro seems to be the better choice for first gens because you don't need to change the ECU, Harness, or get a new o2 sensor but It definitely makes more financial sense to go Ktuner on 05-06 but It'll come to preference. So given the rough comparison I made if someone who has Ktuner would like to tell me why its better logically without the blanket statement "because" id appreciate it. If something I said was wrong correct me so people can get the right info.

Kevink121 Sorry to hear that, what happened?

·
Past Driver’s Ed
559 Posts
Just my recommendation. If you choose to go the KproV4 route, for your primary O2 sensor I would invest in AEM’s digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge air/fuel ratio controller/sensor (#30-4110). It’s wired directly to the ECU and is needed for a good custom tune.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I tried responding to him earlier but I can't post here on my other account so ill use this one.

I don't understand why Ktuner is cheaper, Now for his gen 05-06 I understand, as I stated in the small research post I made, to run it on an 05-06 you don't need anything and the programs do the same thing and I don't see why Ktuner would be cheaper in my case given I would need a conversion harness, ECU and an o2 sensor.

So this is what I've found If I'm wrong please correct me because I'm trying to understand what all the different versions and upgrades do and which makes sense to buy.

2002-2004 (first gen)

Kpro = 695 (unit itself) New or used 300-550 (depends)
Kpro4 upgrade (350$ in my case) and yes I'm new I don't know what the benefit of this is. (optional I think)
I don't quite understand what each of the available upgrade options does (again I'm new to this). price varies

Because I don't know which upgrades are necessary I'm going to say it costs 700 (New) and up. I'm aware it'll cost more than this but again because of the upgradable options I'm just referring to the unit itself.

KtunerV1.2 (no screen display)= 449$ or screen display 650$
Not sure what a used 05-06 ECU would cost maybe 150-250$ used and 350-450$ new
o2 sensor 100-140$
Conversion harness 150-250$

Making Ktuner roughly 1000$ for V1.2 and for the V2 roughly 1200$
For the Ktuner comparison, I found the average range of what things would cost ECU, harness, etc, and took the average cost (Ex. 150-250$ for harness, = 200$). ]

Now there are a bunch of things to consider, First location, depending on where you live this will differ. Shipping and handling will definitely add cost, me being in Canada it'll be quite expensive but that's probably true for anyone outside of the US id think, also tax depending on where you live the price can greatly change but the ratio between the two should be the same. Next, if you plan on running Ktuner the price will also vary depending on what you can find parts for and what deals you can get. Id assume the Ktuner will cost more in labor given it'll require an ECU swap and different harness (I'm guessing) I'm not going to include the o2 sensor because anyone could change that. (Labour doesn't matter if you're installing it yourself.) Now, something to mention is you can find used Kpro a lot easier than Ktuner I've seen a couple pop up every now and then from anywhere between 300-550$ so this can also be an option.

Overall this is a very rough comparison due to the reason I stated above. Logically Kpro seems to be the better choice for first gens because you don't need to change the ECU, Harness, or get a new o2 sensor but It definitely makes more financial sense to go Ktuner on 05-06 but It'll come to preference. So given the rough comparison I made if someone who has Ktuner would like to tell me why its better logically without the blanket statement "because" id appreciate it. If something I said was wrong correct me so people can get the right info.

Kevink121 Sorry to hear that, what happened?
It's literally no better than Kpro. You have the same capabilities with both. What the dude up there^ said earlier about it being better is complete nonsense.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just my recommendation. If you choose to go the KproV4 route, for your primary O2 sensor I would invest in AEM’s digital wideband O2 AFR UEGO gauge air/fuel ratio controller/sensor (#30-4110). It’s wired directly to the ECU and is needed for a good custom tune.
Thanks, I was actually looking at them, specifically, the AFR one you mentioned Oil pressure, Coolant/water temp and eventually boost lol, but damn that's at least 1000US in gauges. Oh well, they're good quality and look great. Would you recommend I go with the one with the included Sensor and just buy it separately the one it with the sensor uses Bosch but they recommend Bosch, Waker, and their own AEM if you get the one without, they all have the same specs I just wondered if you have an opinion on one over the other?

·
Registered
5 Posts
It's literally no better than Kpro. You have the same capabilities with both. What the dude up there^ said earlier about it being better is complete nonsense.
Thanks, I'm almost set on Kpro, I know this is a dumb question but if you know can you explain these to me.
Screenshot (86)_LI.jpg

What's the difference between the upgrades, The unit itself is 700$ (What is it exactly) and what is the 270$ option if im buying it new or the 350$ previous-gen upgrade. Again sorry if this is a really dumb question, I haven't messed with engine management before so this is all new.

·
Past Driver’s Ed
559 Posts
Make your life easier and get the complete kit that includes the gauge, controller, and sensor.

Not sure if I understand your Kpro question.

If your EVC already had a Hondata reflash installed, hondata will give you a discount to upgrade to KproV4

If you already have an older version of Kpro, they will give you a discount to upgrade to KproV4

If you have non of the above, you get to pay full price of $695.00

·
Past Driver’s Ed
559 Posts
Make your life easier and get the complete kit that includes the gauge, controller, and sensor.

Not sure if I understand your Kpro question.

If your EVC already had a Hondata reflash installed, hondata will give you a discount to upgrade to KproV4

If you already have an older version of Kpro, they will give you a discount to upgrade to KproV4

If you have non of the above, you get to pay full price of $695.00
Sorry ECU

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry ECU
You answered my question sorry if it was confusing, and the gauge you mentioned is the one I'll be going with unless I can find a used one for cheaper and then just source everything else but its more likely I'll just buy it off their site.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts