Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I have asked around and done searches but I still can not find a "valid" suggestion on what to do with my KYB bump stops?
Let me start out by what I'm aiming for. I have a DD 03 Base RSX, I currently just bought a set of "Sportlines" from Negi, (thanks again for the sale man) and I also just bought a set of KYB "Excel G's" for front and rear.
Planning on changing all 4 and dropping car with the sportlines. The problem I am having is that my current OEM dustboots ect on my stock suspension are trashed, thus the reason I bought new ones from KYB. However, with that said KYB has no info on their site as to weather you should or shouldn't cut the "bump stops" that come with the dust covers for frnt struts?
I took pics of what the strut, dustboot and front bump stops look like but I have no idea as to weather it needs to be cut or just pushed down on the shaft of the strut as shown in the pic?

If anyone can assist or offer any helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

·
Registered
8,303 Posts
Okay, I have asked around and done searches but I still can not find a "valid" suggestion on what to do with my KYB bump stops?
Let me start out by what I'm aiming for. I have a DD 03 Base RSX, I currently just bought a set of "Sportlines" from Negi, (thanks again for the sale man) and I also just bought a set of KYB "Excel G's" for front and rear.
Planning on changing all 4 and dropping car with the sportlines. The problem I am having is that my current OEM dustboots ect on my stock suspension are trashed, thus the reason I bought new ones from KYB. However, with that said KYB has no info on their site as to weather you should or shouldn't cut the "bump stops" that come with the dust covers for frnt struts?
I took pics of what the strut, dustboot and front bump stops look like but I have no idea as to weather it needs to be cut or just pushed down on the shaft of the strut as shown in the pic?

If anyone can assist or offer any helpful suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.
That is a very wide bump stop. Why not get OEM bump stops? The bump stop should be at the bottom of the shock, not the top. Other than that, I can't help ya because it is clear that the bump stops will not fit inside those dust boots.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Oh ok,
I mean I could get the OEM dust boots, but these I had so I just wanted to know before I started messing something up.
LOL, My B I just noticed that in the pics. On the KYB instructions for the boot and bump stop it actually has them show in this fashion, maybe that is why it didn't look right to me?
I will take another look, but I am really thinking about just scrubbin the whole idea and getting a set of coilovers instead? Thx for the valuable input.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I know this is an old post but came across it and wanted to point out that the information I've seen shows the strut bump stop goes at the top of the shaft. The purpose of the bump stop is not only to prevent the strut from bottoming out but also to hold the Dust Boot in place over the strut shaft.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts