Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For anyone who doesn't know what Langka is; it's once of those gimmic as-seen-on-tv products that claims it can remove excess touchup paint while not harming the factory finish. This lets you just blob on paint into a chip or scratch and rub it with a cloth and Langka so that it's smoothed out to be level.
I'm always skeptical about those infomercial gimmicks since they rarely work, but keep in mind, the California car duster and water blade are the same type of gimmicks and they have a good reputation here.

Langka is really designed for little rock chips, but it can work for scratches. With a scratch you have to let the touchup paint dry overnight and you have to be very, very gentle when rubbing the Langka onto the area, but in the end it works, and it's a heck of a lot cheaper than getting a shop to fix the scratch.
I found that if you use a little pressure while rubbing the scratch, the paint pops out of the scratch (d'oh). I ended up re-touching up the scratch about 3 times until I got the hang of it. But in the end it works okay. You can see a faint outline where the scratch was, but I haven't clearcoated the area yet.

Thought I'd give a brief review. And some people in previous posts were interested if it actually worked. I bet it would work a lot better on small chips since paint wouldn't be as prone to pop out of a chip.
I give it a :thumbsup: for SMALL scratch and chip repairs.
If you have small chips or scratches, this is much cheaper than taking it into the shop, but it does take a little patience.

More info and ordering forms at Langka's website

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
did you find the package directions good enough?

·
Premium Member
20,800 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The package directions are pretty dumbed down, but they are good enough. You just need to really follow the directions to the point of exaggerating them. I ended up doing the process a few times just experimenting since I messed up a bit. The nice thing is that you can clean out the scratch and start over. I guess I should post what I found too:

- When it says use a "smooth" towel, use a REALLY SMOOTH one. I tried it with a rag, it was smooth, not terried, I thought that was good enough, but it didn't restore the gloss to the area, left a matte finish because of the larger fibres. It takes a really smooth piece of cloth. I ripped up a piece of old underwear in the end, since they are fairly soft. :D And NO I don't wear silk lingerie, it's just plain cotton menswear.
On the other hand, it you are finishing a matte area like the bumpers on some other cars, using a rougher rag would give you that flat finish.

- When it says "generously apply Langka to cloth", you really need to slop it on for the scratches. I am used to using things sparingly, so it's a change to use a good 3 dabs on such a small cloth. If you don't use enough the paint won't come off easily, then you start rubbing harder, causing the paint to pop out of the scratch.

- And the important one, especially for scratches "rub lightly". We are talking, no pressure. You are pretty much just barely touching the surface. That gets hard when you are rubbing since you naturally tend to want to lean into it a little. But if you hold back and just skim across the surface you get an even surface. If you use pressure it won't be even, and more often than not, the paint pops out of the scratch.

It takes patience for sure, but once you get it right, it works good.

·
Retired
13,573 Posts
White02RSX-S said:
Frosty, what do u use to clearcoat?:dontknow:
I purchased a pen from Acura that has my body colour on one side, and clear coat on the other.

It seems to do the job (I'm not that picky about rock chips... because I get more than I can keep up with).

·
Registered
103 Posts
koalapeck-
a pen? so you just basically write over the scratch and use the other side of the pen to put on the clear coat on? WHAO! how much did that cost you? does all the Acura dealers carry that? I have some scratches but really small. i still wanna cover it up though. THANX! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
Frosty said:
You can pickup 'touchup clearcoat' at most places that sell touchup paints.
I apologize if the answer is too obvious. However, today I discovered what looked like little paint chips on the car. Someone had put something on the back of the trunk causing the chipping. The chippings are pretty shallow. How do I tell if I all need is clearcoat touch up? Or how do I tell if I need paint touch up as well?

What I meant is the chipping might be small enough and the pearl color of the RSX makes it hard to determine whether it's clear debris on the paint or just the clearcoating got chipped away.

·
it's a fu*cken LEO-PARD~!
3,712 Posts
whoa... awesome.. im going to try this on the parts where those assholes keyed my car! lol hit or miss but its all good :D

·
Registered
793 Posts
im thinking about getting it does anyone have before and after pics with this product?

·
no time to drive the RSX
6,838 Posts
Might have to try it, rock chips are starting to own me.:(

·
08 MDX with Sports
3,204 Posts
I still have mines, it sucks hahaa doesn't really do much.. Your better off with touch up paint + toothpicks..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts