Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've read somewhere that its bad to start learning how to drive fast with a 4wd or awd car because there is so much grip. what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
3,085 Posts
What experienced drivers have told me is that a car with excellent handling or a lot of power can mask poor driving habits. Novice drivers make take a slow line or apply power poorly but make it around a corner because of the car. With an underpowered FWD car its not as easy because if you do take a bad line its more obvious and harder to save.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so what do you think would be the best car to start out with to lean how to drive? how do you think a bug eye sti is rated?

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
If you own a resonably sporty car, take it to an autocross. Don't worry about how it's built. You'll learn a ton regardless.

As far as one drivetrain or another, AWD will naturally compensate for driver error that would otherwise wipe you out in FWD or RWD. From an academic purity perspective that's a bad thing. From a safety and lap time perspective it's a good thing. Race what you've got. If you've got nothing, race what you can afford.

http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=508392
http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=566858

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info both. and it helps make choosing a car a lot easier, i can disregard 4wd. i don't have a car right now, but have been saving for a while, and want a car that i can build "slowly" and learn how to drive. im going to college and majoring in physics and mechanical engineering and figure i can do my senior projects on the car. right now my choices are: integra 3rd gen or a sr'd s14, any opinions or recommendations.

·
Here goes nothing
5,412 Posts
I suspect the S14 will make for a more interesting project given the FI, but at the same time honda suspension tuning is endless fun. You'd have to disassemble a FWD transmission to install an LSD. Fun stuff.

·
Registered
9,859 Posts
go onto SCCA website and slowly go through the rule book.

Everybody has different theories in terms of how to race, what creates best learning curve, etc. etc.

Some of my friends believe you driving best car or worst car or race tires first or street tires first has no affect on your learning curve.

Thats just one example, but I believe learning to go fast in a shitty car will make you that much faster once you jump into a good car.

Remember, driver skill makes the biggest difference out of anything. On average, I jump into my friend's cars with less experience and for most of them I am anywhere between 3-6seconds faster on average.

·
EM2 Member
1,741 Posts
Like Mark said, everyone has their own opinions as to what should be done first/last/etc in regards to learning how to drive/race. Any car can be used and the basics still remain the same. But when you start to learn more and begin to explore the limits of your car's capability and your ability as a driver, different chassis/drivetrain configurations will aid in different areas.

An underpowered car will teach how to utilize the entire track, how to carry as much speed and maintain as much momentum as possible through the corners...

An overpowered car will teach throttle control, how to "roll" on the throttle coming out of corners, how to finesse your way into and in the cars powerband to maintain stability and not upset the car.

A FWD car will teach how to manipulate the brakes in different ways to maneuver your vehicle around corners faster.

A RWD car will teach how to manipulate the throttle in different ways to maneuver your vehicle around corners faster.

One thing I do agree on(for the reasons already stated)... is, personally, I would avoid starting/learning in a 4wd car.

·
Yeah, it's that big
10,632 Posts
go onto SCCA website and slowly go through the rule book.

Everybody has different theories in terms of how to race, what creates best learning curve, etc. etc.

Some of my friends believe you driving best car or worst car or race tires first or street tires first has no affect on your learning curve.

Thats just one example, but I believe learning to go fast in a shitty car will make you that much faster once you jump into a good car.

Remember, driver skill makes the biggest difference out of anything. On average, I jump into my friend's cars with less experience and for most of them I am anywhere between 3-6seconds faster on average.
I agree 100%. It doesn't matter what kind of car you start out in... you'll be amazed by how bad of a driver you actually are. My entire driving perspective changed as I started getting better and better at autox-ing.

I started out on a FWD car, and switched to an S2000 two seasons ago. That was a learning curve in itself. It's not harder... you just need to be concentrating on different things.

In a FWD, I was always concerned about going into corners too hot, and pushing. I also had to wait much longer to get back on the throttle. In the S2k, I'm more careful about coming out of a corner. Altogether, I'm still learning with the S2k, and I don't think I drive it anywhere near it's limits yet.

But nothing, and I mean nothing, is more fun than skipping through a 6-cone slalom in a well-balanced RWD car. Once you get the hang of it, it really feels good.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
I have to agree with Chrsx. I've had FWD cars since they were invented and I love my RSX-S. I've spent 2 years tracking it on road courses and worked my way into the advanced solo group II. I just bought a dark blue 07 Mazda RX8 and will pick it up this weekend. I've only driven it for test drives but it's fundamentally different than the RSX and I await a fun-filled learning curve shifting to RWD. Its kinda like discussing which is better blonds or brunettes, both are different but its all good. If you want a track ready RSX-S and you're near the Tampa area PM me.

·
----------------
2,672 Posts
where do you go to race justjim? I'm in jacksonville and I really want to start getting my rsx out on some road courses. I keep hearing about gainesville but what do you recommend. I'm willing to drive pretty far.

·
- - - - - - -
3,186 Posts
thanks for the info both. and it helps make choosing a car a lot easier, i can disregard 4wd. i don't have a car right now, but have been saving for a while, and want a car that i can build "slowly" and learn how to drive. im going to college and majoring in physics and mechanical engineering and figure i can do my senior projects on the car. right now my choices are: integra 3rd gen or a sr'd s14, any opinions or recommendations.
Miata Miata Miata

·
Late Apexer
5,962 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
where do you go to race justjim? I'm in jacksonville and I really want to start getting my rsx out on some road courses. I keep hearing about gainesville but what do you recommend. I'm willing to drive pretty far.
Sebring, Homestead, and Barber (Alabama). Mostly Sebring because its closer and a more interesting track and I have history there. Check out www.chinmotorsports.com the group I run with, there are others like NASA. Chin also runs at Roebling Road in Savannah up your way and will be at Road Atlanta in November. Come to Sebring in October and introduce yourself, I'll be there in my new Mazda.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Bluewind I'm uncertain about those lines you're taking there, I think with some work we could shave a couple hundreths off of your time:eek:.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts