Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
||| Forza Juve |||
1,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought an 04 type-s with 38k and am loving it! It is my first car learning stick shift on. Ive driven stick before on my dads 4speed 67 Camaro but thats a whole other world. Ive been praticing in residentail streets and my upshifts are pretty smooth, Tonight im going to an elemtanary schools parking lot to practice 1st gear launch/friction point. I feel i know enough information to quickly become good at those with practice but i dont take any chances with downshifting. The only downshifting ive done is entering a turn while braking in 3rd and downshifting into 2nd coming out of the turn and that goes smoothly. I basically need advice on downshifting before going into turns and downshifting on the highway to pass. Odvisouly im staying in residential streets for a week but when the time comes i dont want to do anything stupid. I know the concept behind double clutch/rev match but i think thats too comlicated for a newbie. Any suggestions??

PS: I know new members should have 25posts before starting threads but i feel this is meaningful and ive searched:D

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I recently bought an 04 type-s with 38k and am loving it! It is my first car learning stick shift on. Ive driven stick before on my dads 4speed 67 Camaro but thats a whole other world. Ive been praticing in residentail streets and my upshifts are pretty smooth, Tonight im going to an elemtanary schools parking lot to practice 1st gear launch/friction point. I feel i know enough information to quickly become good at those with practice but i dont take any chances with downshifting. The only downshifting ive done is entering a turn while braking in 3rd and downshifting into 2nd coming out of the turn and that goes smoothly. I basically need advice on downshifting before going into turns and downshifting on the highway to pass. Odvisouly im staying in residential streets for a week but when the time comes i dont want to do anything stupid. I know the concept behind double clutch/rev match but i think thats too comlicated for a newbie. Any suggestions??

PS: I know new members should have 25posts before starting threads but i feel this is meaningful and ive searched:D

Check this out. http://forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=317210

This is what I used as reference, when I first started driving.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Getting the hang of downshifting is all about practice same for upshifting. You have to rev match in order to match engine and wheel speed when you want to downshift. I founnd this most common for me when wanting to pass while I am cruising in 6th gear on the freeway. I usually give the engine a little more gas to bring the revs up and shift down to 4th, or sometimes 3rd. It's easier for me to cycle through each gear like 6, 5, 4....., then skip gears like 6th to 4th. Just practice matching revs, then by no time it'll be second nature!!! Then you can move on and learn how to heel to toe downshift which sounds so sweet with an intake. Everytime I heel to toe through gears I get this whooshing/whistling sound from the intake and it sounds bad ass. Good luck practicing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
16,470 Posts
Practice Practice Practice...

once you get it right...you will know

and it will become second nature..

Might want to google heal-toe and downshifting for a better description and explaination then what we can offer

A little advice...

First try rev matching...

Go on the highway....50 MPH....and try to rev match into like 4th gear, if u get it right it will be a smooth transition...

after you master the simple rev matching...

Then you combine it with braking...(heel-toe)..

Then when you fully master it you will be able to come downshift and brake at the same time while rev matching.... be careful

·
Registered
362 Posts
Downshift, revmatch, then brake before you enter a corner. Then as you enter the corner, just let the car drift through (No..not the kind of drifting you see in Tokyo drift).

I won't go into heel-toe until you've at least mastered downshift and revmatching without having the car jerk when you release the clutch.

·
ᕦ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)ᕤ
4,108 Posts
Careful, though, your RSX has a million times more torque than that pitiful '67 Bowtie. You don't wanna break an axle or anything. :run:

·
Search newbster SEARCH!
2,221 Posts
I can't seem to revmatch for poop. I jerk bout half the time I drive. Especially 1st to second//second to first. I'm no good with this high performance car.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Rev matching can be an art form. It's really just knowing your car, how it sounds, and where it likes to shift. On a road, with no one behind you - try going 30 or 40 miles an hour in whatever gear you like - pop it into neutral and lets the RPM's drop to idle - so you're coasting. then - press in to the clutch and put it into gear - like 3rd, then before you let the clutch out - push down the gas and bring up the RPM's where you *think* they will probably be in third gear - then release the clutch - see how close you where. It's good practice.

·
Registered
5,943 Posts
when you're a n00b, rev matching is the best practice. don't get serious into heel/toe yet. when you rev match, just blip the throttle when the clutch is down .. don't think too hard and watch the tach on trying to match the revs. just give the gas a light tap, and if it's too light, the car wheel hunch downward from the compression in the motor. and if you gave too much gas, the revs will bog down and the car will jerk a little bit. just practice, and eventually, you'll get the hang of how much gas you're supposed to give. the best way to practice is by cruising down the highway in 6th, then rev matching 5th, and going back and forth between the two gears since the car won't jerk around as much.

after you master rev matching, you can heel/toe, which is downshifting/rev matching while braking. i'm sure you've seen the best motoring and option videos with drifters and racers heel/toe downshifting before a corner. with your toe on the brake, your heel blips the gas with the clutch down to rev match into the lower gear. this takes a lot more practice, and it took me quite some time before my downshifts started becoming smooth. the hardest part about heel/toe downshifting imo, is trying to keep your foot steady on the brake while blipping the throttle with your heel.

but everything just takes practice. :)

·
UW Crew
882 Posts
lately i have been practicing my rev-matching / downshifting

pretty much have the hang of it now

i just give the throttle a little bit of gas as i am engaging the clutch and i pop it in to the next gear down. i know exactly how much gas to give the engine to match it to the next gear so really it only takes no longer than a second to do the whole thing.

quite fun actually....

heel-toe is nearly useless on city streets. i tried doing that for awhile but it just got boring

·
Brian
131 Posts
I learned on my RSX as well. Just a month ago actually. I had driven a stick before, but not well at all...but I was lucky that I had somewhat of an idea as to what I was doing. A lot of people are clueless. The first day was s frustrating...the hardest part for me was practicing launching on an incline without going backwards and without using the parking brake...but once you get it you love it so much. People always say I bet a manual gets annoying. It's only been a month, but so far so good. Only bad part is holding a girls hand while driving gets tricky.

Also IMO people suck at teaching people how to drive a stick...I got so tired of hearing "You just let of the clutch and give it some gas." No shit?! IDK I think people could do a lot better at teaching it than that.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
You really shouldnt be downshifting to first unless you are stopped or traveling under 5mph...its bad for your sychros. Our cars are not completely torqueless.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Only bad part is holding a girls hand while driving gets tricky.
Uh..maybe you can try letting go of your girl's hand for a second to shift? :D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts