Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Since i am leasing a car how much modifications can i make to it? Will i be able to add stuff to it and take it away later when the lease is up?

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
As far as I know, you can mod whatever you want on the car even if it is leased. Modifying different parts of the car will not void the lease agreement, but can void the parts of the car warrenty. Whatever mod you make that effects the specific car component can void that part of the warrenty of the car.

For example, if you decide to add a turbo and your engine breaks down, even though the engine is still under warrenty, If acura can prove that the engine problem was caused by the turbo, they will not honor the engine warrenty.

I do not think that this would effect the lease agreement in any way, but check with your company just to make sure. Some companies might have different policies.

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
the car has to be completely returned to stock at the end of the lease if you plan to just turn it in and walk away, or prepare to get docked significantly for anything that's not stock (i.e., drilling holes in fenders for sidemarkers, etc.).

intake, exhaust, other bolt-on's are fine - just as easily removed as they are installed. same w/ rims. lowering springs and aftermarket struts are a little trickier, but that's just b/c of the labor involved. not just a 30-minute r&r job like an intake, but still technically a bolt-on.

i'd steer clear of NOS, turbo's, or s/c's....those are quite a bit more invasive and will void the warranty on engine parts.

bottom line, just be selective w/ what you do and make sure to keep all the stock parts....mine is leased, and i'm already in the process of de-bose-ing the audio system and will be doing the usual intake/exhaust/springs/rims stuff at some point in the next few months or so.

hth...

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
g.smurf:

That's good info to know, I didn't think the cars were always taken back to stock, Some acura dealers where I live sell used integras that appear to be modified, but maybe that's different.

Also, Why do all people that have a type-S want to remove the bose system, I understand people like me would want to remove the basic system, but I thought bose was a good system. My other car is a CL type S and it also has a bose system, It sounds really good to me and has more than enough bass, What was your reason for replacing it on the rsx?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
LeaD_FooT said:
g.smurf:

That's good info to know, I didn't think the cars were always taken back to stock, Some acura dealers where I live sell used integras that appear to be modified, but maybe that's different.
they may not have been leased. you can *trade* a car that's modded, but you'll still take a hit on trade-in (in most cases). i say "most" b/c my acura dealer gave me an extra $1k to leave my yakima roof rack on my SVT contour (even though it only cost half that when i bought it 7-8 years ago), and my ford dealer gave me an extra $1k to leave my 16" kosei racing seneka's and my in-dash CD HU in my civic when i traded it on my SVT. but, by and large, you won't see any benefit to a modded car when you trade it and you'll probably take a hit. a lease is a little different, though. the leasing company (honda finance in my case) sends a packet w/ a little checklist that they'll use when you turn the car in, and it even goes into such detail as classifying sizes of dings and dents (and how many you can have per panel before they charge you), how much treadlife the tires must have remaining, etc. they get kind of anal, in other words.

of course, if you buy the car at the end of the lease, all this is academic. the rules and regs only cause problems if you want to turn in the car and either walk away or purchase or lease another car.

fwiw, one of the charges you pay at the beginning of a lease is a 'security deposit' - much like what you'd pay if you rent an apartment or a house. at the end of the lease term (for either car or apt./house), they'll assess the wear/tear and damage, and if it's within acceptable levels, they refund your deposit. otherwise, they take chunks out of it as 'compensation'.

Also, Why do all people that have a type-S want to remove the bose system, I understand people like me would want to remove the basic system, but I thought bose was a good system. My other car is a CL type S and it also has a bose system, It sounds really good to me and has more than enough bass, What was your reason for replacing it on the rsx?
some bose systems are adequate (my personal opinion is that NONE are truly exceptional), and some are not. the type-S system falls far short of even adequacy for anyone who cares about the sound quality. at low volumes, it's adequate, i guess...but crank it, and it just doesn't have the guts to keep up. for starters, the 'rich-bass woofer' in the spare tire well might as well not be there - it can't even begin to compare with an aftermarket sub and amp. i have a sub in my home theater that will shake my house, and i've had subs in my last two cars before this one. thus, i'm kind of spoiled. for someone who's not into car audio or someone who just doesn't prioritize car audio, the bose type-S system may be fine. for anyone who wants to feel the base and turn the volume up above a quarter-turn, then the system needs to be upgraded. hence, my efforts in this area.

hth...

·
keepn' it clean
2,555 Posts
Thanks for the info g.smurf,

I will definately end up upgrading my adiosystem, becasue mine is not even bose. What audiosystems do you reccomend and what woofers are good?

Also, How much electrical modifications do you have to make when putting in a new audiosysem?

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
i can't even begin to pretend i'm an expert in the car audio world, so i'd recommend starting a separate post for advice or visiting one of the online dedicated car-audio forums.

but, with that said: as far as my personal experience goes, i have not delved into truly high-end car audio (mcintosh, etc.)(don't feel like spending that much $$), but i've been quite happy with the two eclipse cd head units that i've had. prices seem to compare favorably with other brands (i paid roughly $240 for my bottom-of-the-line last one and maybe $340 for the one before that), and it has a 3-year warranty plus a 1-year theft warranty. had a clarion before the first eclipse and a kenwood changer prior to that, and the eclipse was a definite improvement over both.

i've got a phoenix gold amp driving an MTX 5000 10" subwoofer, and i've been happy with both....had a low-power JL audio 10" before the MTX but blew it when i hooked up the PG 300w amp.

speaker-wise, i've heard good things about MB quart, a/d/s, diamond audio (probably what i'll end up with), focal ($$$), etc.

electrical modification-wise...not much involved. replacing the head unit is a simple matter (with the base system) - just get a wiring harness (metra probably makes one), and it's a simple plug-n-play operation. replacing speakers is usually a drop-in affair. adding amps and subs where there were none previously is the only thing that gets labor-intensive, and for someone w/ the right know-how it's easy. i don't include myself in that group, though. lol. basic concept involves running wires from the HU back to the amp for the audio signal; wires from the amp to the speakers for the output audio signal; power wire up to the battery w/ a fuse; and a ground wire to a suitable location near the amp.

basically, not a lot *electrical* modifications per se - just a lot of running of wires around the car.

a lot of this just depends on your budget and what you're looking for (i.e., lots of boomy bass vs. punchy bass vs. overall sound quality vs. whatever else)

hope that helps a little bit...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts