Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Chief Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Just noticed the other day that the leather is starting to peel from where it is attached to the shifter knob (didn't notice it until now because it's facing the radio--it's where your ring finger and pinky would sit). Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommended remedies?! Thanks in advance.

·
Car Care Extraordinaire
2,148 Posts
Hey all,

Just noticed the other day that the leather is starting to peel from where it is attached to the shifter knob (didn't notice it until now because it's facing the radio--it's where your ring finger and pinky would sit). Has this happened to anyone else? Any recommended remedies?! Thanks in advance.
Are you talking about the plastic ring below the knob or the actual leather? My plastic ring is fading the same place you mentioned, I just deal with it. As for the leather you should be putting some leather conditioner periodically. If it's that bad you either gotta deal with it or get a new boot.

·
Because STIGCAR
1,000 Posts
I'm going to assume that your car is an RSX.

If that's the case, the same thing happened to mine and it's not uncommon. The stock boot is made from cheap vinyl and will tear easily. You have a few options when it comes to fixing the problem:

1) You can ignore it/try to repair it, but it's such a cheaply made boot that it's not worth it.

2) The dealer does not sell the boot by itself so you would have to buy the whole center piece from them = $80+ for the same thing that will rip again.

3) A lot of auto stores sell universal shift-boots, but since they were not made for your car you will have a lot of issues with fitment and looks.

4) Buy one of the boots from the CRSX store for $45 shipped. Seems like a lot to spend on a boot, but they used the stock boot as a template so it will fit your car perfectly. It looks better than stock and won't rip as easily. This is the option I went with. http://www.clubrsx.com/cr/ARSXASB.html

Pictures help decisions:

·
Chief Member
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome feedback, I really appreciate it. Thanks you 2. And yes, it is an rsx. It is below the ring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts