Acura RSX, ILX and Honda EP3 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
are there any street legal turbos? I have been looking around the internet and i thought the greddy kit was but i have heard that its not legal yet. Can someone please help me. I want to turbo charge my car but it has to be legal cause i live in cali.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
474 Posts
hate to break it to ya but there is no "legal" turbo kit, i dont even think theres a legal sc kit, the jr street version might be but i doubt it...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
there are many people in california with boosted rsx's... just dont be stupid and get caught haha
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
username03 said:
there are many people in california with boosted rsx's... just dont be stupid and get caught haha
See the thread in the boost section entitled "Ticket to state ref" by Caliboosted.

Don't get caught? If you keep the car for 4 years here in CA, you are required to have a smog test to register your car. When this happens, you have a dilemna, and a few decisions to make. If you sell the car, an emissions test of the vehicle is required before it can be registered to the new owner. What most people do not realize: it is the SELLER's responsibility to ensure that the car will pass. Go to www.smogcheck.ca.gov for the facts.

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
so basically I can have a turbo as long as I dont get puled over by the cops. And then in 4 years i would have to take it off? I dunno all this seems too much of a hassle. I mean i really want a turbo but I dont want tickets on top of the money spent to get a turbo. Plus haveing to take it off would be a pain.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
blacK20 said:
greddy is carb legal, i think
dont quote me
check their site
Greddy turbo kit for RSX is not CARB exempted. It is "pending" which means the California Air Resources Board has not yet granted an E.O. #, therefore it is currently illegal to install on a street driven vehicle within the state.

JRSC Street Kit has been granted CARB E.O. #D-344-10. The street kit is legal for use on street driven vehicles of the types allowed by #D-344-10. Attached is a picture of the sticker that came with my street kit.



AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
I know there are boosted cars in cali and im sure they dont have these problems.
But they do. Please see the thread that is running right now about the guy who was pulled over and issued a state referee ticket. I have better things to spend extra money on, and I certainly don't want to hand it to the state bureaucracy.

This is a headache you do not want to deal with. It is expensive and time consuming.

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
AJ~ said:
See the thread in the boost section entitled "Ticket to state ref" by Caliboosted.

Don't get caught? If you keep the car for 4 years here in CA, you are required to have a smog test to register your car. When this happens, you have a dilemna, and a few decisions to make. If you sell the car, an emissions test of the vehicle is required before it can be registered to the new owner. What most people do not realize: it is the SELLER's responsibility to ensure that the car will pass. Go to www.smogcheck.ca.gov for the facts.

AJ

exactly right about the decisions part.

i have a few friends that have boosted civics and audis, but of course they know people and pay them off but of course i wont say any names :laughing:

you either
a) have to know people'
b) or are willing to take your non-legal modifications off every time you go to the smog station
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So does pending mean that it will become street legal? Or is it 50/50 chance? Thanks for the info. Basically the reason I would rather go with turbo than sc is super chargers dont have bov....do they? Anywho i can find all that info somewhere on the board. And thanks once again for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
username03 said:
exactly right about the decisions part.

i have a few friends that have boosted civics and audis, but of course they know people and pay them off but of course i wont say any names :laughing:

you either
a) have to know people'
b) or are willing to take your non-legal modifications off every time you go to the smog station
So I would only have to take it off for smog checks? What if I get pulled over? I will assume im screwed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
theres gotta be a way to get by all this crap.
See my post above with the picture of the CARB sticker that came with my JRSC Street Kit.

JRSC Street System Part #989=550 is legal for use in California. You cannot be fined for installing it on your street driven vehicle.

JRSC street kit is currently the only legal form of forced induction for the RSX within the state of California.

"CARB exemption pending" status will still net you a fine, since it is PENDING. The possibility exists that the state may not grant an exemption number to Greddy. The CARB is not required to legalize forced induction just because it was submitted by an aftermarket company. If the submitted system fails the CARB's testing, it will remain illegal.

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
So I would only have to take it off for smog checks? What if I get pulled over? I will assume im screwed.
Correct. See the other thread in regards to this. Follow it to for the next few days or weeks to see where it goes.

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
Basically the reason I would rather go with turbo than sc is super chargers dont have bov....do they?
Read up on BOV's. Don't take that as a slight or insult, since it was not intended to be.

Superchargers are mechanically driven by the engine, so boost is proportional to engine speed: they are "tied together" so to speak. No need for a BOV, making for a very simple system to install and live with.

Make your forced induction system decision on things more important than the bird chirp sound. That doesn't mean you should disregard turbos, but look past the neat, cool stuff like intercoolers, electronics in your dashboard, cool gauges, and of course the bird chirps when you make your choice. Since you are in California, you should strongly consider the legalities and the costs involved with the smog laws.

AJ
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah and in light of this information i am highly considering the JRSC. Not only does it give fairly good power gains but the main bonus is that it is legal, and because I am in cali thats really what i need. Even though the sc doesnt have all the cool sounds and gauges and what not its more practical where I live.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
k20aSwap said:
yeah and in light of this information i am highly considering the JRSC. Not only does it give fairly good power gains but the main bonus is that it is legal, and because I am in cali thats really what i need. Even though the sc doesnt have all the cool sounds and gauges and what not its more practical where I live.
For a Californian, that is a rational line of thought. A lot cheaper, too, should you get cited for an illegal turbo.

There are other benefits to the JRSC: install it yourself. Engine safe. Complaints of no low rpm torque go away with the JRSC. Turbos require lots of other expensive stuff, the JRSC does not. All that expensive, cool stuff makes your car a theft target: see the posts by RsxManJoe. Sucks what someone did to his car.

The shredding belts issue is being addressed: forums.clubrsx.com/showthread.php?t=194118. Do not let that issue alone steer you to a turbo. Even with the frustration of a shredded belt, you still have your engine intact. Search the boost section for K20 deaths caused by turbos. No "death by JRSC" posts yet. Can you/ do you want to afford to replace an engine?

Since you are in CA, seriously, only consider one turbo: the Greddy, and only if it is granted an E.O.#.

Even with a legal Greddy option, I would still go with the JRSC for the simplicity, safety and stealth factor. Oh, and cost: my street kit was $2,450 shipped, and I need no addtional equipment to make it go.

AJ
 
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Top